Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Disk Recovery

• 09-01-2003 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Is there anywhere in Ireland that recovers information off a physically broken hard disk ? The platters are okay , its the read heads that are messed up. Also , what kinda prices are for that sort of a task ?

- Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

it will be several hundred euro so if you can do without it

but if its absolutely necessary, make sure the company can do what they say they can.

ring golden pages talking 11811 and ask for companies in data recovery, or search pc repairs in the golden pages and watch out for data recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What hard disk is it? And is your idea of read heads gone meaning you can hear it clunking or ticking? If so its just as likely to be the electrics not working. Changing the PCB board to one from a same model drive (if you can find one) will fix that usually... cheaper than paying hundreds, maybe thousands to recover info... And if its that important (you know whats coming!!) you should have backed it up in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hugh

Thanks guys, yea its a ticking, but Dell are talking it to be replaced someday soon, and the most valuable/unique thing I have is my portfolio(in High Res) Its not worth paying over 100 euro for it coz I have a crap res version at http://www.icklepix.com/ and I do have most the paintings printed on nice glossies (a4 though). I think your right with the electrics, I did open it up because I thought it was a spring out of place the last harddisk I opened was acient and had a spring. When I opened it my friend wanted to see what the disk felt like ???? anyway, big fingy mark on it. And the head was scratching a little when I moved the head left and right the disc so I tried bend it upward slightly and I'd say I went a mm too far with it so it was fuct but now its worse, I didnt care because it was going back to Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Er ... they will probably tell you to get knotted because you opened the disk and thats the warranty out the window ..

Heh ... touched the surface to see what it felt like hee hee hee ... with friends like that who needs enemies?

As regards the read/write heads ... theres an analogy that if they were scaled up ... those heads are like a 747 flying at several hundred (thousand?) miles an hour at about 6 inches over a field and counting all the blades of grass as it goes ... i.e. bending the flipping read/write head arm competely buggered it

Advertisement