Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMPORG question

Options
  • 09-01-2003 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

MMporg

I was wondering if any of you played them , and if so which one.
    Was looking forward to buying one but my only problem was that i need to be able to access it with a stupid 56KB modem and still be playable..

any suggestions ? Style or theme not important.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Dark age of Camelot is the only one I really played (a helluva lot tho), and all my friends are currently glued to Neocron.

Neocron is futuristic, DaoC is medievil. Neocron has small servers and combat is faught with some of your own personal skill (you gotta aim...... to an extent), but its very small scale, and you will rarely meet groups of over 10 people. DaoC is large scale, servers of 2500-3000 people, and its not uncommon to group with 40+ people, and most of the combat is faught with tanks (tough buggers in melee) with archery and mage's for support.

I prefare DaoC because it has a goal to accomplise (help you realm beat the other 2 mainly, with legion and dragons to beat aswell), in Neocron you level up for what I can see no purpose apart from 'just because', I also like the epic scalre of DaoC (50 people storming a relic fort, very cool feeling :))

DaoC also takes much longer to level up, getting to level 50 in DaoC is a hell of an achievement (albiet 1000's of guys have done it, but still). Its also more or less impossable to 'lame' in DaoC, because you can only get PKed (player kileld) in frontiers, while in Neocron you can PK anywhere outside of the main city (neocron) and the game is currently held up by PKing clans who kill anyone and everyone who leaves the city, which can make it impossable to hunt some (most) of the time.

Neocron is still a pretty new, and very buggy game, but the choice is up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

thanks for these reports , what about the connection ? doable with 56K modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Neocron is futuristic, DaoC is medievil. Neocron has small servers and combat is faught with some of your own personal skill (you gotta aim...... to an extent), but its very small scale, and you will rarely meet groups of over 10 people.

What server do you be playing on? Pluto Server has on average 500 people on it and you meet loads of people.

The reason the player base is low due to the advertisement of the game.

DoaC is capture the flag.
    in Neocron you level up for what I can see no purpose apart from 'just because',

Your supposed to get into or form a clan and take over outposts within the world to boost your clans stats. For example taking over a lab (which would require Combat based people and a hacker) would allow your researchers/constructors in the clan to build rare items. Also sometime (soon) they are introducing epic quests which will directly effect the game, although some of the GM's in are already dynamically changing stuff based on custom based quests generated by them.
    I also like the epic scalre of DaoC (50 people storming a relic fort, very cool feeling :))

Similar happens in NC, only the attacking force tend to have things like Tanks and APC's.
    while in Neocron you can PK anywhere outside of the main city (neocron)

Not true. There are safe zones outside of Neocron (although less and not how you expect them to be). Also you can only PK another person if they have removed thier Law Implant.
    and the game is currently held up by PKing clans who kill anyone and everyone who leaves the city,

Depends on the Server. I play pluto which is a one character server. There are PK clans and most people remove thier implant so they can be attacked (they get unnerfed stats for the risk). However there are political battles going on so there is no one clan that owns the server. The same can't be said of the older servers which have entrenched high level german players. But Jaggeh is actually doing better then me on one of those servers.
    Buggy game

Yes it is a bit. The only one I've played that hasn't had problems on startup was Asherons Call.

There are a whole range of other games out there you can try.

Asherons Call
    Asherons Call 2
    DoaC
    EverQuest
    Neocron
    Sims Online
    Ultima Online
    Anarchy Online
    Legends of Mir
    Toon Town
    Jump Gate

and more. That's just off the top of my head.

56k is playable on most if not all. You pay a monthly fee for all of them (varies) and be aware that they will suck up a huge amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i came close to buying Ultima Online:LBR the other day but didnt cause i wasnt actually sure if many people played it anymore , anyone know what kinda player base it has?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ive played both Asherons call and DAoC.

I only played DAoC for a few weeks but in the end i stopped cos i didnt think it held a candle to AC (asherons call).

I didnt like the experience system. ( dots and after u get so many dots u go upgrade to next lvl.) I found that you didnt have much control over your character skills. You could only upgrade a very small amount of things.
    In AC you get experience points for killing beasts (or player. depends if your a worpshipper of an evil long departed). You then have the option to place these points into any of 40+skills. (must train most first)
    You also get experience points to train new skills.

Main character types are War mage, life mage, sword, archer, cross bow, unarmed and dagger.
    Other skills to learn are item enchantment, alchemy, fletching, melee def, missile def, magic def creature enchantment. Those are just basic stuff.

The game is quite old by now and all the servers are in the US. However the game isnt quite as popular as it used to be due to age, (used to be 2k+ per server over 6 servers. now only 1k) the lag on 56k isnt a problem.

There are quests which require a large party ( no matter what lvl u are as teamwork is required.) There are also some quests which u can do in small groups or on ur own but the rewards aint as high.

If you prefer PK (player kill) only, there is a server dedicated to that. On this server different monarchy's control towns and such, similar to attacking castle and such on DAoC.

The servers are however in the US so its mainly americans. On one of the servers however there is a mainly Uk monarchy which im a part of. Course theres a lot more to AC butid be here all day.

• Advertisement

UO has around 200-250k active subscriptions (not players online).

Asherons call (1+2) has on average I think 18k players at any one time total (online actually playing).

Not sure about EQ. Necron has few servers and I would guess it averages at 4-5k players on at any given time (online playing).

hmm, 56K works ..hmmm i should try one of these MMporg's then :)
    Time and money i have but damn that internet connection !
    something futuristic sounds cool , as i have lived in a MUD world for 6 years..enough is enough

If you do go for one, post on the Roleplaying Board as there are others who plays the games and can probably sort you out in regards to learning curve, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

What exactally does MMPORG stand for i have a half idea what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

mmorpg is thr correct spelling.

It stands for 'Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I also like the epic scalre of DaoC (50 people storming a relic fort, very cool feeling :))

50 people is hardly epic. Most relic raids are 100+ and I remember the 1st relic raid for out realm on our server being 250 on the actual raid while about 200+ lowbies (lower than level 40) distracted Albion on the frontier (at the time there were still very few level 50s so it wasn't "that" strange seeing lowbies fighting, though it must have been funny to see so many)

What server do you be playing on? Pluto Server has on average 500 people on it and you meet loads of people.

I hope the world is small because people playing DAOC complain of underpopulation if its peak populaion is less than 2000 (although that is spread across 3 realms on the main servers)

Originally posted by OSiriS

I hope the world is small because people playing DAOC complain of underpopulation if its peak populaion is less than 2000 (although that is spread across 3 realms on the main servers)
    The neocron map is about 2thirds the size of midguard, very, VERY small in comparison to DaoC.
    50 people is hardly epic. Most relic raids are 100+ and I remember the 1st relic raid for out realm on our server being 250 on the actual raid while about 200+ lowbies (lower than level 40) distracted Albion on the frontier (at the time there were still very few level 50s so it wasn't "that" strange seeing lowbies fighting, though it must have been funny to see so many)
    Im talking about most legion raids and zergs (which i hate btw) that are usually about 50 people, but yes relic raids can get quite big, pity that on prydwen albs and midds have lvl 50 alts logged there all the time, so not only do you have the guards to worry about but you have to worry about the 10 or so lvl 50's that will spawn inside after 5mins or so, so you better be quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

heh 50 would be a very small legion raid for us ... and Hib Palomides has big poplatiohn problems. Generally a /who 50 darkness falls would give about 150+ tagging along (basicly our entire actice high level population)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the game is currently held up by PKing clans who kill anyone and everyone who leaves the city

on the uranus server there is a police force of players, as soon as someone is pked in the city or common hunting grounds outside the city you can expect 30+ players waiting to have a chat with the pk.

only pluto (1 char server) is having massive pk problems.

ive almost maxed out my first character on my server and there is still loads i havent done yet. the map may only be as big as a part of daoc, but the expansion "Beyond Dome of york" will effectivly triple the map size, adding 1 new city and 3 new towns.
    then later this year there is a second expansion planned called Tokyo 2, that will probably double the size again.

if you were to walk from your starting apartment (viarosso) to the city gate(outzone) it could take up to 30 minutes.
    then to waqlk from neocron city to Elfarid Village (furthest town) it would take another 2 hours. so saying that the map is small is a bit of a lie.

only pluto (1 char server) is having massive pk problems.

There is no massive Pk problem on Pluto. If anything they are easy to handle as there is only one character. The Crackheads seem to be the major PK guild who are well set up to deal with the reprocussions, the other KOS recently fell to bits after they realised that no one would deal with them.
    The neocron map is about 2thirds the size of midguard, very, VERY small in comparison to DaoC.

Having not played DoaC I can't comment on the size of that place. However the world of Neocron is huge.

The city is large but very deceptive in it's size. For example while you have your major city zones (Via Rosso, Plaza, Pepper Park, Outzone) each has 3 zones that most people see. In Outzone there are a total of 10 zones, 7 of which are dangerous. In Pepper park there is a hidden black dragon city (size unknown)and a hidden Anarchy Breed area (3 zones) as well as NeoFrag (6 zones) and Pepper park maze (1-2 zones?) and industrial zone (9 zones?) areas (I'm not taking faction buildings into account, like Pussy club or cityadmin which is 1-2 zones per faction).

Outside the city, again it's pretty huge. Jaggeh's time frame is actually optimistic walking to there as you can't travel in a straight line to that area (mountains+baddies). However I have walked from Military base (top left of map) to Neocron and it took close to an hour. Using my dune buggy it took about 15-20 minutes. To drive from one neocron exit to another takes about 10 minutes.

On top of that you have Military base (small), Tech Haven (medium) and Twilight Guardian (medium) cities.

That doesn't take into account the multi level dungeons in the Neocron city (about 1-3 per zone with 1-5 levels each) as well as dungeons outside in the wilderness or other cities. Also outposts tend to have thier own dungeon as well. There are around 20 or so of them.

What makes the place seem small is the way the city is layed out. Most people tend to center in Neocron and in the major levelling spots, however there are a large number of areas that people don't go until they are a bit stronger.

Another thing with Neocron is once you have genrepped at a point (downloads your DNA so you can spawn there) you can move great distances easily, making the map seem smaller.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Outside the city, again it's pretty huge. Jaggeh's time frame is actually optimistic walking to there as you can't travel in a straight line to that area (mountains+baddies). However I have walked from Military base (top left of map) to Neocron and it took close to an hour. Using my dune buggy it took about 15-20 minutes. To drive from one neocron exit to another takes about 10 minutes.
    As a rough guide walking from the hibernian portal keep to the most southern point of midguard (assuming you dont get kill) would take 2hours or there about, even with skald speed it would take over an hour. Midguard = huge, too damn big if you ask me, thats why hibernia will always be my fave ;)

just bought 'Neocron' and updating with patch as i write this.
    anyone else playing ?

damn it had to download around 30 Megs of patches and i have spend 7 hours dl it :( sucks ...

first thing in Neocron you see is the city and this does look cool , it has a 'blade runnersque' feel about it..
    Have ran around the city for an hour with the very helpfull map-tool to guide me around but untill now no poor victim has been killed by me which was rather dull. But it still is interresting for now.

Is anyone else from boards playing on the Neocron servers ? if so , which one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Wook
    damn it had to download around 30 Megs of patches and i have spend 7 hours dl it :( sucks ...

first thing in Neocron you see is the city and this does look cool , it has a 'blade runnersque' feel about it..
    Have ran around the city for an hour with the very helpfull map-tool to guide me around but untill now no poor victim has been killed by me which was rather dull. But it still is interresting for now.

Check role playing forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I pld DAOC ALOT - it is v.playable on 56k modem - I had a level 50 Hero and a lvl 50 ranger on excaliber - the game itself is cheap and the first month is free so give it a go :)

• Advertisement

Only one i know off the top of my head is Jaggeh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

As far as I know Celt does too.

I play on Pluto although not as much as I would want to.

Jaggeh is on Uranus (that joke never gets old) as well as a few other from boards.

i'll try the uranus server then ..btw..this game is damn complicated and not easy to get into ..
    what happend to the old faithfull ..STR,DEX, INT etc... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I'm on Uranus,(no way i'm going to say in)

23/42 <<< Tank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

/me decides to kill the already near dead joke

How many people are in Uranus?

around 400 and a bit yesterday evening

my game nick at uranus is 'wookie' btw, direct chat me if you wanne team up.

around 400 and a bit yesterday evening
    You can fit 400+ guys in Uranus? damn thats streched

joke defo dead now

Advertisement