Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warhammer 40k Tounament

• 09-01-2003 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Just out of interest would any-one here like to have plan a day event where we can all meet and have a tournament of our own.

Might be intresting to see what kind of armies we all have and see what kind of paint jobs the others have.

Just curious cause I wouldn't mind at all think it would be quite fun if we all got together and just had a day messing about with warhammer stuff(not necessarly 40k)

RunFree

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I spose thats a good idea but I hate 40k, well maybe not hate, I dont like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im miles away from any of ya's and I cant get a lift more than likely, so as much as Id like to I prolly couldnt come :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Im miles away from any of ya's and I cant get a lift more than likely, so as much as Id like to I prolly couldnt come :(

/me asked Pugsley where he is from???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ups

are you suggesting boards only people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i may have a nice little plan in the offing 40K and fantasy. But i need to confirm some stuff before I make it official.

Watch this space!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Hmm sounds good but im stuck down in the midlands but i could make it if i really wanted to but only if 40k is in because my chaos are small and in disarray for warhammer!(act of god really)This is a really good idea it should work!

well if you are a chaos player ( Fantasy ) i`ll take ya on on with my high elves. Suposedly a good match.

How many people would be intrested in a games day and what game fantasy or 40 K, and who is Bi. ie. can swing both ways ( Game wise that is not sexually ;p ) . It will need at least 12 players to work. I`ll start a thread on it when more is finilised, lads.

I see your gauntlet and accept once my armie is up and running i need some knights and some other odds and ends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As an aside, for all those who don't play w40k or feel they don't have big enough armies, I have a massive w40k participation scenario which I ran for 3 years running at Gaelcon.

A "meat-grinder" mission up a polestyrene hill with ww1 trench system, barb-wire and bunkers. All armies included. Was a space wolf vanguard + remenants of imperial guard units according to the scenario I had created Vs. Eldar alaitoc attack force using a modified Tyranid assault rules scenario - hence the name "meat-grinder". Easily changed however.

Such a task would easily be carried out for any day-long event.

OK ornage rooster the first game of the boards.ie games day is set before its even been comfirmed. But you have pleanty of time to get ready i was thinking of an April time frame for the boards games day. Still have to confirm i can get the venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Originally posted by Lemming
    A "meat-grinder" mission up a polestyrene hill with ww1 trench system, barb-wire and bunkers. All armies included. Was a space wolf vanguard + remenants of imperial guard units according to the scenario I had created Vs. Eldar alaitoc attack force using a modified Tyranid assault rules scenario - hence the name "meat-grinder". Easily changed however.

Such a task would easily be carried out for any day-long event.

i was there one year where the eldar player managed to blow up the big fortress with a shítload of marines on it :)

if you were the lad running it you werent happy :)

This is great if you ask me already we have set up games and the board is thriving much better than the shambles it was under strategy and wargames!

Originally posted by Funky
    i was there one year where the eldar player managed to blow up the big fortress with a shítload of marines on it :)

if you were the lad running it you werent happy :)

Hehehe ... not that I wasn't happy - I was more surprised that someone actually managed it.

IIRC, In three years only two people have ever managed to actually destroy the primary bunker. A lad called DotC was one of them, can't remember the other lad.

THe bunker has three seperate "hit" locations, each with major amounts of armour. Even krak missles and las cannon's have a hard time of doing anything to it. So taking it out is quite rare.

Given, if you take it out, two Space-Wolf "Long Fang" squads (Heavy Weapons teams) go "p00f" with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

the other lad was a mate of mine , dunno if he plays 40k anymore though he's off in england

/me asked Pugsley where he is from???
    Fermanagh, just north of the border from cavan. (if any 40k collecters live nearby, post here and ill get back to ye)
    The bunker has three seperate "hit" locations, each with major amounts of armour. Even krak missles and las cannon's have a hard time of doing anything to it. So taking it out is quite rare.
    Get a blood thirster in close wouldnt be long putting it down, but getting him there alive could pose problems when his time could be spent mashing up tanks :D

Get a blood thirster in close wouldnt be long putting it down, but getting him there alive could pose problems when his time could be spent mashing up tanks :D

The eldar forces had an Avatar. It usually didn't survive long enough to get that far through the defenses. A blood thirster would be fairly similar I should imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

id be interested, i have loads of stuff that needs painting though.

Well im sure we are all in that boat of having a lot of stuff to paint. As long as its build and under coated i dont mind and im not planing on doing this till April as i said and that give us all pleanty of time to prepare.

Bloodthirster considerably bigger and stronger than an avatar Lemming :)

Bloodthirster considerably bigger and stronger than an avatar Lemming :)

Oh, you'd be surprised at what can happen with trench warfare .........

I've seen some VERYYYY funny sh*t happen in my time.

Like a Terminator take out an Avatar with his first shot, then proceeding to take out an entire command group with the rest of the volley, only to get it from a lowly guardian with a laspistol

Oh the ignomy of it!

Incidentally .... one of the games in which the primary bunker got taken out was by complete accident. One of the Long-Fangs in the bunker took out a Vyper bike but didn't manage to destroy it outright. It goes out of control, and happens to CRASH INTO the bunker, causing secondary flashback explosions that levelled the thing.

Then there was the Grey Hunter with a powersword who loses the rest of his squad (4/5) to a close combat assault, only to then kick the living sh*t out the entire Striking Scorpion squad (5) responsible and some guardians before buying it at wrong end of a krak missile (total overkill, but both myself and the player thought it'd be funny)

• Advertisement

Like a Terminator take out an Avatar with his first shot, then proceeding to take out an entire command group with the rest of the volley, only to get it from a lowly guardian with a laspistol
    Your lucky it wasnt a grot, that would really take the biscuit, would have loved to see that tho, what weapon did he have? assault cannon?

Your lucky it wasnt a grot, that would really take the biscuit, would have loved to see that tho, what weapon did he have? assault cannon?

yeah. Assault Cannon. Got maximum damage on the Avatar on the first hit and dropped him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Hehehe ... not that I wasn't happy - I was more surprised that someone actually managed it.

IIRC, In three years only two people have ever managed to actually destroy the primary bunker. A lad called DotC was one of them, can't remember the other lad.

THe bunker has three seperate "hit" locations, each with major amounts of armour. Even krak missles and las cannon's have a hard time of doing anything to it. So taking it out is quite rare.

Given, if you take it out, two Space-Wolf "Long Fang" squads (Heavy Weapons teams) go "p00f" with it!

I remember that, long time ago. Lots of fun. Still would have liked to have played Marines as the assaulting troops. I don't think I blew it up? must have been the other guy.

SO what is the story 'BOUT this league then, BUDDY????
    DotC

Originally posted by RogueDotC
    I remember that, long time ago. Lots of fun. Still would have liked to have played Marines as the assaulting troops. I don't think I blew it up? must have been the other guy.

SO what is the story 'BOUT this league then, BUDDY????
    DotC

Hey DotC. Long time no see! How's tricks? :)

Yes, you managed to waste the Big Bunker. Can't remember how you took it out though. Was either the Vyper bike or else a lucky krak missle shot that caused flash-back explosions on the other hit locations.

I'm itching to put marines in the assault force myself. But I wanna have it as Renegade Imperial Guard manning the defences. Unfortunately I don't have a force large enough for that (yet).

How big of army do you use in these blow up the bunker missions of yours?

How big of army do you use in these blow up the bunker missions of yours?

Well, firstly, it wasn't actually a "blow up the bunker" mission, although as far as I can remember, the bunker was part of the objective. It was basically jsut a participation game for a laugh and nothing serious. Non-GW players would be hand-held through it, etc, etc.

Anyway ... the defending force would obviously be smaller than the attacking force - although in the case of space marines assaulting this would possibly be the reverse. Say, about 1000/1500 points worth of guard. No armour due to the scenario set up.

The attacking force however ......

Advertisement