Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SKY+ in Ireland

• 10-01-2003 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Does anyone one know if and when sky+ will be available in Ireland.
    Tried calling them but the girl who answered the phones seemed like she didnt care.
    Wouldn't find out for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

My favourite gripe with Sky :rolleyes:

The latest is that it should be available here in February, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BanjoDanjo

yeah, i know what you mean.
    I've heard rumours about every month since last july.

In various emails and calls from Sky, I have been told

Early 2002
    Easter 2002
    June 2002
    Late Summer 2002
    Mid Autumn 2002
    Early 2003

I wonder if the pattern will continue... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bmg

i got aletter from sky this week saying it's delayed until march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BanjoDanjo

Then it'll be april .. and so on.
    at least you got a letter.

They seem to be very ignorant on the phone when you ring up asking about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Will arrive same time ITV/CH4 arrives !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

LATE being the "main" word here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    My favourite gripe with Sky :rolleyes:

The latest is that it should be available here in February, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I do honestly believe that Sky+ will be here well before UTV-Ch4 as there are too many issues to be sorted out with UTV etc, so lets hope we see it here in the next three months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

There are some new Sky+ ads being shown now, a new marketing push. I have seen them on several channels (Sky and non Sky) including Sky one Ireland, but that may not have any relevance on an Irish launch. AFAIK the take-up has not been very high so far in the UK.
    There are still reliability issues with the boxes, although I would find the system very useful, if it cannot be relied upon to record every time I don't think I would be willing to pay for it ,especially the higher sub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

My guess is that they will want to saturate the market here with as many subs as possible on the current boxes.

There'll be a critical mass that will then start having expired contracts.
    I expect Sky will then launch Sky+ here in order to not only hold onto the current crop of subscribers but will persuade many of them to get mirror subscriptions and/or the Sky+ service.

Would not at all surprise me if ITV/Channel4 launched based on a similar need. Right now they can sell their current service to most people without having the setup and support costs for Sky+.

It will take some investment for them to launch Sky+ here and right now they're still in investment mode with SkyDigital - all those subsidized boxes won't 'recoup' for a while yet.

The glass could be half-full though : the folks in the UK are basically beta-testing this product and , hopefully, by the time Sky+ is launched here most of the wrinkles will have been ironed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

My information from the sky rep is that issues other than the ones you mentioned are holding this up, recording rights issues etc sounds like a right shambles.

Tony
    Originally posted by shabbyroad
    My guess is that they will want to saturate the market here with as many subs as possible on the current boxes.

There'll be a critical mass that will then start having expired contracts.
    I expect Sky will then launch Sky+ here in order to not only hold onto the current crop of subscribers but will persuade many of them to get mirror subscriptions and/or the Sky+ service.

Would not at all surprise me if ITV/Channel4 launched based on a similar need. Right now they can sell their current service to most people without having the setup and support costs for Sky+.

It will take some investment for them to launch Sky+ here and right now they're still in investment mode with SkyDigital - all those subsidized boxes won't 'recoup' for a while yet.

The glass could be half-full though : the folks in the UK are basically beta-testing this product and , hopefully, by the time Sky+ is launched here most of the wrinkles will have been ironed out.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Originally posted by Tony
    My information from the sky rep is that issues other than the ones you mentioned are holding this up, recording rights issues etc sounds like a right shambles.

Tony

I was given this recording rights bull as well. So I contacted the Irish government and the BCI. I was put in contact with the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment. They told me that the copyright legislation is technology independant, quoted the actual legislation and then went on to say that they could not see any rights issues with the introduction of PVR technology.

I sent this information off to Sky recently, so I'm sure they'll be on to me soon :rolleyes:

Advertisement