Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irishplayer.com

Options
  • 09-08-2000 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Bugs,

I think you're being a little harsh on the site. I find it to be very good and it is in fact you who have some of your facts wrong.

For one, I have played and reviewed Street Fighter EX3 for my site Game-Ireland and it does include a tag option.

Secondly, the text from Sony's site is for use on game websites after all.

And as for not saying when they liked DOA2, what about ''The game ran amazingly smooth, much smoother than anything else then we played when previewing the machine. The sounds were crisp and clear, and the backdrops in the levels were stunning. Out of the three fighting games, Dead or Alive 2 was the only one to have interactive backgrounds. We were fighting in a building and I smacked the opponent, who flew against the glass window, smashed through it and went flying down a couple of stories, and I promptly jumped down after. Great!''

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Who in gods name writes for this , its bloody awful!
    Checked out the ps2 section , and i'm sure it was someone who was going on about ps2 games being crap , the initial ps2 description is a copy and paste job from sony's site. The games reviews would make me believe that they haven't played the machine at all, especially RR5 in which they got the fogging problems in single/versus back to front, didn't preview EX3 at all , said it was tag only when its not.

Listed DoA2 as a great game for , well , no reason!
    Seems like its another site with little or no actual input worth reading, why i went there i'll never know.

Queue flaming and whining......

No , i said that they had described the game as tag only , whereas its not, you got that backwards.
    They said DoA2 was enjoyable , since when does this constitute smoothness and breaking windows?
    Ridge racer is great in single player and awful in multi, they didn't even get this half right, theres no fogging in single , there is in multi.

And i don't consider what sony put on their site for public use and even if it was, you'd think that people would have the motivation to at least put in their own impressions.
    Theres enough sites out there that say nice happy things all the bloody time and just regurgitate the samw crap so they don't **** of developers and hence get no previews , this ones just another link in the chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

bugs,

You can think what you like about my site, after all everyone has their opinions.

The previews we did on the PS2 were done in April, when we got about half an hour to three quarters of an hour on each game, and we played them frantically in this period of time. They were our initial impressions of the four games we played. As for taking things off the Sony site, where may I ask is this on the Sony site? We wrote it ourselves, and although the techie details are indeed straight from Sony. As for describing the machine and what its supposed to come with, what else are we supposed to say about it except the facts?

And as for the PS2 games being crap, we did not say this. We said that they looked rushed, which they do. They do not really use the power of the machine at all, and it will be at least a year before any of the brilliant games come out on it. If you tried SFex3, we thought it was crap, in the version we played be it the scart cables or whatever. RE RR5, we found fogging problems much more apparent in Single player as it is running full screen.

As for DOA2, we said it was a great game, because it was such a laugh to play!

As for there being little imput, we do not focus on news, unlike Player of Games and Game Ireland. We focus on reviews of games, and give an honest opinion on what we play, be it great or crap.

We also never said that you had to go there, so I dont see what your problem is in slating it. Its only a hobby at the moment and getting 75,000 impressions a month with up to 20,000 visitors is nothing to be giving out about.

I repeat agian that I just do it as a hobby, and with all the games we continue to get in for review, so do the games companies. I know that not everyone will like it as is apparent, but I am personally happy with it, and so it seems are the people who keep coming back to it.

Jamie www.irishplayer.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 igu32

Yeah I have to agree with you Bugs,
    That site SUX .
    Why go to the trouble of buying a domain when we don't even have decent graphics for your site.
    It just so home-made !
    Irish Gaming Union is where it's at !

Strange that you approached me asking for advertising and for me to promote your site. I dont care about fancy graphics, and since your site is the new site on the block, you should learn to walk before you go off claiming this that and the other about your site.

Jamie

• Advertisement

Home made eh? Eoin, look closer to home
    http://members.dencity.com/igu32/E-MAIL-TOP.gif
    http://members.dencity.com/igu32/igu-top.gif

Now calm down little 15 year old boy.

Also your cheats section looks surprisingly identical to the IGN's Gamesages.com

Compare http://sages.ign.com/ to http://home.dencity.com/igu32-cheats

At least try and put some original work into making a site, and since you have only launched I would not advise laying into everybody so soon.

Jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 igu32

Jamie ,
    I didn't waste money on a domain and I'm proud to get 500 visitors a week on a free server !

Irish Gaming Union
    The Source For Irish Gaming
    http://www.igu32.cjb.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

1. IGU32 was probably just having a mess when he said 'Irish Gaming Union is where it's at !' because as a human being, he can not possibly be that pretentious.

2. IGU32, you are the new kid on the block and, speaking from experience, I suggest you show respect to those who have gone before you.

3. Nitro-G has obviously put a lot of work into Irishplayer.com, and IGU32 also appears to have put in enough work into his site to suggest he put in a lot.

4. Bugs for **** sake you knew you were starting **** with this one. Could you be a
    little more discreet about it next time?

5. I have no preference here. I just visited both sites for the first time and I do not know either of the website owners.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , " My son , sometimes you talk a lot of ****. Knock it off." Before I could speak in walks Christopher Lloyd with a time machine under his arm and just then...it started to get weird...

Only whacking on about the ps2 section , it isn;t the best now , you have to admit , the rest of the site is grand.

As I already have stated, we only previewed the PS2, when we get it in before launch we will be doing a proper review.

Jamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

lo ppl
    Nitro-G: you're site is very dull, and it does look home made. there is a bit of colour on the other one at least, even though i didn't let it load because it took ages smile.gif
    i only used these irish gaming sites looking for a review of diablo II, and nobody had one.
    I think the frame border makes it look bad, you could try a colourful navigation bar down the left and it would make a huge difference.

the refreshing sponser thing is a bit annoying, but i suppose it pays for the .com so its not too bad

[This message has been edited by Illkillya (edited 14-08-2000).]

If you dont like the site, fair enough. I dont have the time to make it cosmetically great, and I will admit that once I get the time I will give it a facelift or three, but I dont have time to.

Also, I have my own server for the site, and stop going on about the domain, whoo its only $12 a year.

For Diablo 2, what games I don't get in, I have to pay for, and I am not in the position to pay for anything at this moment and time.

In fairness, I will take as much constructive criticism as you like about the site, I don't mind, but as you can understand I do not want people ripping into it for no apparent reason like Eoin from IGU has been.

In that way, I would like to say to Noel, good work with Game Ireland, its a very good site with lots of decent news pieces, so much that I will not compete with its news for the forseeable future.

Dev's Playerofgames is also excellent, plenty of stuff there.

Eoin, your new around here, and although your site has potential, please learn the fundamentals of English when writing things please, and do not go around slagging off other people's work needlessly.

I would also like to publically apologise for being a moany sh!te towards Noel, I know I have said things that were not the nicest, and hope that you accept my apology.

Anyone else want to take a poke at me or Irish Player? Feel free, but please have a reason behind whatever is wrong and I will strive to fix it so that at least some of you will give me some credit for the work that I am putting into a site, by myself I may add, with one staff writer who does the odd review and with hardly enough time to keep it up to date except for the reviews.

Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

This topic looks friendly...

lol @ the M$ paint sk1llz by igu BTW tongue.gif
    www.game-ireland.com is all you need for irish news and that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's good to know someone appreciates your work and I'd also like to congratulate Jamie on his site.

He has very little time yet he manages to keep it up to date with the latest reviews, previews and news.

As for that Diablo II review, check out http://www.game-ireland.com/reviews/pc/a-e/diablo2.html Illkillya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ah, nice one (d2 review). is that new? i did look btw smile.gif
    good explaination of the saving - i wasn't sure what that was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

It was actually only added Monday. Glad you liked it though.

The reason for its late posting is that we've currently got a backlog of articles from when the site was relaunching which we're trying to get through quickly.

Advertisement