Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands you love to hate

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

I've never seen a band spark such hatred like Nickleback have.

See Also: Ryan Adams calling Chad Kroeger a "penis sausage".

You know who I really really think are sh!te? The Revs & The Datsuns. Fair enough some people like them but my god are they f*cking annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catch urself on

While I don't give get bothered by pop music 9lets face it, itll alway be around in some form or another) I hate any pop personality who decides they are 'artists' and cant see that all they are is kids entertainment.
    And NME...Pink is not the next Kurt Cobain!

Other hatreds include Aslan, Oasis, lincoln park and friends,..the list is endless.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I will even use the word HATE with Nickleback :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

can't figure out why nickleback are so hated. I feel fairly indiferent to them myself.

jj72 deffo, the revs too.

The Mavericks.
    **** me!! Those assholes are in need of a swift death.

Shania Twain, Merideth Brooks when whe was going, and any pop star to have ever uttered the cliche " it's all about the music for us"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 madmanmoon

Oasis!!!God they suck!
    I was supposed to go to a show with them, the Manic Street Preacher, and the Screaming Trees. Guess what? I got all the way to Charlotte ( thats NC, in the states) and the show was cancelled. Apparently those two little p***ies had a spat. I had a free ticket and passes too! The real kicker is that we were going to leave before Oasis even came on.
    Oh, and to add to the a****le factor, the Trees ended up missing their next gig or two because Oasis' crew loaded up some of thier equipment when they left!
    Haven't heard about them lately. Hopefully everyone is over their childish antics and sh***y pop music and they've gone away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by rapture_queen
    Avril "Skater Boy" what ever her name is.....................just let me at her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

avril lasagne? or is it borvil lavigne?

and its sk8r boi....get it right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

someone mentioned ryan adams, he sucks too. and that guy josh ritter is incredibly mind numbingly boring (but not goo goo dolls boring, just kinda nothing-boring).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by jesternuts
    The Beatles is the ****test band ever. English ****.Nirvana are **** and Kurt Cobain was a pussy. Ohh I want to die, I'm so sad. ****ing idiot. AudioBully sorts them out.

Hissssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy if i ever get my hands on you! you'll be wishing you had a super mouse with an eye patch and cool flying yellow car to save you!!!!

Explain to me exactly why you have these criticisms of both Nirvana and the Beatles possibly two of the most influencial bands of the 20th century! I'm not claiming too be a die hard fan here but i mean credit where credit is due!! Particularly your claim that the beatles are teh ****est british band ever is the greatest exaggeration i've come accross in a long while!! You're obviously not too familiar with the likes of James etc.

Please back up your arguments and i'll be a happy little camper

(you're lucky im not pete reed or your ass would be so banned!! due to the offensive nature of that post)

Toodle Pip!
    Amz

I think the whole thing of hating bands/artists is a bit stupid if in the first place you don’t like the genre of music that the bands/artists comes from.

I think/know some of the “hates” (even my own) that are listed have less to do with music and more about the artists image, where they come from, something they said, something they do or did in the past.

All I can say to jesternuts is that you... er, maybe I should not say it here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Splatz

Originally posted by o sleep
    (but not goo goo dolls boring, just kinda nothing-boring).

How can you call a band who made some of the fastest punk albums ever boring?

Or did you even know that?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Splatz

that’s another reason why some people dislike some bands, after only one or two songs, maybe from the wrong album or just the wrong song the person never likes the band again, a well sh+t happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

Originally posted by jesternuts
    The Beatles is the ****test band ever. English ****.Nirvana are **** and Kurt Cobain was a pussy. Ohh I want to die, I'm so sad. ****ing idiot. AudioBully sorts them out.

WoW!!!

I heard people like you existed but i didnt ever think it was true??!!!

Are your parents proud?
    I mean do they no that they've created a monster?
    Is your name really Damien?

Oh man! ive so many questions for you!!!
    Its so weird to find one that really exists!!
    Here in Ireland of all places!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

I also think the Beatles are ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

But Nirvana were ****ing amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I also forgot to mention that i hate Suede!!!!

Thank u for ur time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Class!

Bitchiness abounds!

It was so obvious were this thread was going!

Come on raggamuffin you must be getting tired of the joke now, reveal yourself as Pigman. Take of the mask, the cape and spandex tights. Your 60's camp doesn't fool anyone.

You must get bored of how easily ppl rise to this and get pissed off with you!

But seriously! If you ever left this board it would become so much duller!

Originally posted by Splatz

whether a band write incredibly fast punk songs or really really slow sadcore songs doesn't matter when it comes down to whether they're boring or not. the albums the guy had in work were just boring, they didn't excite me in any way.

and i won't let my opinions on a particular song influence my view of the band until i at least hear a couple more. and i did, and so i came to the conclusion that the goo goo dolls = boring music. in my opinion.

as for the beatles, i don't hate them, but apart from a couple of songs, they never moved me in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

Here are a few bands i would pay to watch getting blown up
    Six
    One true Voice
    Steps
    Girls aloud
    that ****er eninem or however you spell it
    And all those ''get on tv and pretend you can sing then when you have done no work at all call yourself a popstar or a 'musician'' people
    Burn'em on a stake i says, all of 'em:D

well, fair enough if you dont like the beatles, but like amz said, i think its a given that they were one of the most influential bands of all times, and a general favourite. but i do like that audiobully's song. video's real good 2.

o sleep-im with you about ryan adams...man does he suck. that heartbreaker album is one of the biggest pieces of ****e i've ever heard. the next one is a little bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by back to front
    Is what you 'like ' what 'I' hate?

Good music is what I like. So I reckon 'yes'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Touche!

i never studied french so i couldnt give a crap if i've spelled that incorrectly!!!

Originally posted by Amz
    Touche!

i never studied french so i couldnt give a crap if i've spelled that incorrectly!!!

i think there's a grave accent over the 'e', but i could be wrong. not that it matters, bcos not many keyboards allow you to do it. unless you use french keyboards, and only people in france (and their former colonies) use them. probably.

yes ryan adams sucks, thank god there's someone out there that agrees with me. now: anyone else think josh ritter sucks too?? or sonic youth during their uber-pretentious phase? you know, when they'd play their 30 minute songs consisting of drone rock with two subtle chord changes? it's very ironic that they took on jim o'rourke (he of gastr del sol, or whatever they were called) and they became all good again (on murray street, was that what is was called?)

i realise the beatles were one of the most influential bands of the 20th century, but i'm still not taken on them. i prefer the kinks (for example) and i also believe they were more revolutionary than the beatles, but hey maybe i shouldn't have said that.

a few people think you’re wrong...

"Not that Dylan, Springsteen, and Van Zandt (Townes, that is) comparisons should be bandied about freely, but the 25 year-old Idaho-born Josh Ritter is one of those rare performers who can bend genres into a seamless wonder without giving much thought to the whole process...'Golden Age of Radio' is damn near perfect." - SAN FRANCISCO BAY GUARDIAN

"Really quite superb." * * * * - THE IRISH TIMES

"Rich in metaphor and romance." - THE NEW YORK TIMES

"Stunning." - HOTPRESS

"Captures the sparse elegance of Nick Drake's Pink Moon, the gritty passion of Neil Young's Harvest, and the melodic charm of Cat Stevens' Tea for the Tillerman." - MAXIM

“This is just some really great music that happens to be kind of on the mellow side, done by a kid who knows his stuff. The songs have hooks that seem gentle at first, but some of them (the chorus to the title song, the Radiohead-like chord progression on "Anne") will remain imbedded in you for…well, weeks, apparently. That's what's happened to me. And, unless you're the poppiest poppist that ever burnt out a transistor radio, that's what'll happen to you with this record.” - Music-critic.com

“With a mix of country-style strumming, blues riffs and folksy guitar picking you ultimately get an intimate album that brings out the best in American trad music, in many ways it is similar to last year's alt-country-fest that was Ryan Adam's Gold, but a lot slower and more raw in its production.” - University Observer UCD

“…I don't want to rely too much on comparisons because Ritter creates a young lion's share of original moments--an impressive accomplishment when you're traveling where so many have gone before.” - indyweek.com

"A solitary figure onstage, Josh's easy-going, ah-shucks attitude and genuine charisma expand faster than ego to fill the room and he instantly bridges the gap between artist and audience” - cluas.com“He's a well known guy in the US and Ireland, where he is selling out clubs and small theaters. Josh writes beautifully literate songs you can listen to again and again.“ http://www.geocities.com/rootsrevivalatlradio/ (on this thread some one said something about reading reviews from a geocities.com site)

“Idaho native Josh Ritter has seen a strong reaction to his new album, Golden Age of Radio. It’s not hard to see why – with strummy mellow tunes that move between alt.country and singer/songwriter pop, mixing references from Nick Drake to Steve Earle.…

A rare modern record that works as cohesive album, rather than a collection of songs, we were especially drawn to the title track and the single “Come and Find Me.” Keep an eye out for Josh – he’s already garnered mentions in outlets like Details and the New York Times. - indiemusicguide.net

Did I by any chance go over the top??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No not at all. People should listen to all his influences and sound a likes, rather than the man himself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

To me Josh Ritter is nothing special

well, when josh ritter played in work, i listened with a real prejudice. i do that with a lot of bands. i'd heard plenty of crap about josh ritter from people, about how he was just another person from the school of david kitt/damien rice/mundy, and how boring it was getting. usually if i listen to something with prejudice i wont be converted, ill find fault with everything.(ah...that sounds so pretentious. coz it is. ah well) but i did enjoy his set. so i must have thought he was good-he was also very funny. and i think mark greary got up and played with him, and i'd enjoyed listening to greary. but at the same time i wasnt so overly blown away that i bought his album or anything.

i just love the beatles though. they have some of the most beautiful songs. and some really entertaining ones as well. i love the kinks, but there's a lot of their songs that i'll skip forward, whereas i like nearly all the beatles songs there are.

well if maxim, hot press AND ucd observer all think he's great, then i must be wrong. but here's why listing countless reviews is essentially pointless: everytime the tindersticks release an album (apart from, possibly, their last one, but it was just the odd one or two) they get amazing reviews: especially their first three ones, they were hailed as just mind blowing. and yet i've never met one other person who likes them as much as i do, and only two people who have a passing interest. to take my reasoning to an extreme, i'm sure i could google for genuinely positive (ie, non-ironic) reviews hailing Anal Cu nt as musical revolutionary geniuses.

Originally posted by o sleep
    well if maxim, hot press AND ucd observer all think he's great, then i must be wrong.

Yes you got the idea, I'm saying you’re wrong, I’m saying that Josh Ritter doesn’t “suck”, maybe his music just isn’t to your taste and that’s no reason to say he sucks or even that his music does.

And yes I do have something to back up my statement that it’s just not your taste in music… “…In many ways it is similar to last year's alt-country-fest that was Ryan Adam's Gold…” (- University Observer UCD) you also said that you did not like Ryan Adams, correct my if I’m wrong.
    Originally posted by o sleep but here's why listing countless reviews is essentially pointless: everytime the tindersticks release an album (apart from, possibly, their last one, but it was just the odd one or two) they get amazing reviews: especially their first three ones, they were hailed as just mind blowing. and yet i've never met one other person who likes them as much as i do, and only two people who have a passing interest. [/B]

What is your point here? Do you ask every one you meet do they like Tindersticks? (don’t answer that) Just because you don’t know anybody who really likes Tindersticks doesn’t mean the “amazing reviews” were right or wrong.
    to take my reasoning to an extreme, i'm sure i could google for genuinely positive (ie, non-ironic) reviews hailing Anal Cu nt as musical revolutionary geniuses. [/B]

You could but you wouldn’t find respectable publications like The Irish Times, The New York Times or even Hotpress saying that, unless “Anal Cu nt” are really musical revolutionary geniuses. :D

sheesh. this whole thread is based on opinion. if i say josh ritter sucks, it should go without saying that it is my opinion that he sucks. for me, he sucks.

Originally posted by monument
    And yes I do have something to back up my statement that it’s just not your taste in music… “…In many ways it is similar to last year's alt-country-fest that was Ryan Adam's Gold…” (- University Observer UCD) you also said that you did not like Ryan Adams, correct my if I’m wrong.
    i don't know what you're point is here (and not in a snide way, i'm hungover and it doesn't make sense for me. but yes, i do think ryan adams sucks. again, opinion.

the point i was making re the tindersticks (and i can tell who likes them or not by the lack of people i could find to go see them with me at their last gig) is that irrespective of whether you can find 'respectable' publications (hot press, maxim and ucd observer do NOT come under this heading) lauding a band or person, doesn't actually mean that when it comes down to it, people will like the band. because it's based on OPINION.

and the anal cu nt thing was bringing your point to a logical (albeit extreme) conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Yes! Someone else knows about Anal Cu nt! I started to believe that I only imagined seeing their album on the shelves.

O Sleep, funny about the Tindersticks - a good few of my buddies like them. We went to see them in the Olympia last time, when they had the string ensemble with them. Their first tune was one of the best opening numbers I've ever seen at a gig; the quiet atmosphere that descended was amazing.

Advertisement