Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wan in offaly ?

• 10-01-2003 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right ive been told there is one so where is it ? im looking for info about em ? mainly want to get onto it see whats going on and what they have planned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Hmm havent really heard anything about any WAN in offaly ? Oh am ryo dya think it would be possible to set up a wan between my house and yours ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Its possible. Erect 2 Massive steel poles and get a huge ammount of cable, each end going into each PC and use the steel poles to support it in the air, like ESB but better.

Probably need planning permission though...

Or is there an easier way.

You are aware that WAN stands for Wireless area network ??

Wide Area Network accoring to ECDL Course

Well you hardly thought i planned on using wires did you ? Anyways i wonder is this possible using similar wire mesh dishes such that chorus use for their service ?

• Advertisement

Its possible, with the right hardware. The chorus and sky dishes can only recieve. unless we have devices that could send and recieve.

The cable Idea would be viable over short distances.

No i mean the chorus mmdf service , they dont use sattelites. I found some info here on a webbie http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/05/03/longshot.html wonder is it viable at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

how far away r u 2 ? and is there mutch in the way ???

wan also stands for wicklo area network wyomi area network theres millions of things that it can stand for

more localy known as wireless area netowrk aka wide area network ur both right
    wireless could be a wide area network due to the fact that cat 5 cant send a signal past ... isnt it 500 meters ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

you can buy loads of wirelaess equipment, or if you want you can salvage. From what i've hear the mmdf ariels are ok and do work but cannot be sure. If you need scematics tyr googleing it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by TomTom
    tyr googleing it.

tyr a anchient god of the sweedish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 spartic

WAN = Wide Area Network
    WLAN = Wireless Local Area network

Advertisement