Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fight Fans

Options
  • 10-01-2003 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Are there any passionate fighting game fans out there? Does anyone (apart from myself) have KoF2001 for the DC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

fight games are only good with a few mates and a few beers.

I got for tekken on the ol psx myself!

Pity theres no real good fight games for the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Well .

I have Tekken 4 for ps2 , gonna get Marvel vs capcom 2 soon .
    Il probably end up getting , SNK VS CAPCOM 2 .
    I wanna get Street fighter 3 ( 3rd strike for dc)

So basically i have nothing although i wanna get everything .

I was in thailand and they had Kof 2001 for pc , he went to get it after i asked for it , Soon he came back telling me it was sold out .

Guilty gear X is a great game for PC , also out for ps2 .

Bleh i have roms , loads of fighting roms .
    Kof 97 , 98 , 99
    Marvel vs capcom
    Marvel vs Street fighter
    Street fighter 2 ( rainbow edition)
    Samurai shodown 4
    wakku wakku 7
    and What not .

I had street fighter 2 turbo revival x for Gba , sold it .

I think i have Street fighter alpha 2 for pc upstairs some where .

Yeah , i also have Mortal combat 4 for pc upstairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Soul Caliber on Dreamcast > *

Yeah i have a few fight games in emu`s for the pc but no real pc fight games. I must look out for that one guilty gear X then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by Funky
    Soul Caliber on Dreamcast > *

soul calibur

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

KOF2001 sucks donkies.... the whole series has gone straight down the toilet ever since 98.
    And anyway, its probably the most boring beat em up to play single player, the CPU just uses cheap crap, very little intelligent play at all, mostly doesn't attack for the vast majority of the match then suddenly hops on you for the last 10 seconds involving some form of SSDM killing you utterly.
    KOF2002 is a carbon copy of this, its all really just gone wrong since playmore took over and brezzasoft (team KOF from SNK days) left, now all you get is sprite copies and moronic updates.
    Used to have an AES neo geo home system with kof2000 and a few others, but i wouldnt buy anything past 2000.

Since you have a DC, go look for last blade 2, its pretty much the same as the neo geo original, very technical fighter, and looks great, possibly the best looking the neo geo ever got.

Guilty gear XX will be out here soon, for those of you with X already, its not much different, about 4 new characters but it has actual endings now and you can unlock justice and kliff who were arcade originals but were not added to X (only added to X plus which was sold in japan)
    Better loading in XX too, and a mission mode which is insanely hard. So easy to pick up as well, altho proving to be a bugger to really get to a good level at it.

Tekken 4 is ****e :P

Get tekken tag, its still better :)

:eek: i am not a big fan of 3d fighting games , tekken 4 seemed good at the time .

I think i also have last blade 1 and 2 for neogeo . Will look out for guilty gear xx , thanks . KOF is kinda erm slow .

Now Street fighter , theres a game for ya .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

I loved the mortal kombat series but in my opinion there haven't been any decent fight games released since before 2000. Virtua fighter 1 & 2 are also worth a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga with 2 joysticks, a mate and a rainy afternoon.

Nuff said tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm a pretty big fight fan.
    For the DC I have Marvel VS Capcom (Original), Marvel VS Capcom 2(Original), Guilty Gear X(Copy), Garou Mark of the Wolves(Copy), Soul Calibre(Original), Fighting Vipers(Copy), Dead or Alive(Copy), Powerstone 2(Copy)

I also played Street Fighter II Champion Edition and X-Men Vs Street Fighter on my MAME Cabinet a Lot, not to mention Killer Instinct on Ultra64

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For fight game fans theres only three options at the moment.

1. Get some old emulated capcom and snk beat em ups. Stay away from mortal kombat they aren't the best. In my opinion Street Fighter 2 has never been bettered.

2. Virtua fighter 4 for PS2. Tekken 4 is ****e. The characters are really unbalanced and it's not much fun. If you don't take fighting games seriously then DOA series are all great button mashers.

3. Pick up Soul Caliber or Street Fighter 3 on the DC. You won't be dissappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Marvel VS Capcom 2(Original),

That stupid game is 64 euros for the ps2 , i want it !!!!!
    and street fighter 3 is not even out for the ps2 !!!! argh !

Street fighter in general killed itself around about super SF II, everything after that has been pretty poor, alpha 1 and 2 were ok, 3 was crap.
    Oh yeah, almost all of capcom's Versus series are such huge balls of ****e. Peddling crack in the form of characters like marvel and snk where they know the loyal will pick them up and try try and try some more to find good in the games. Stop trying, you can't, they're cra_p!

eh , i dont think so .

Super street fighter 2 turbo , was great , we were sick of the same old characters and finally some change was great(except T-hawk)

Street fighter alpha brought out the SUPER system , where you could do super moves , never b4 seen in ne street fighter .

Street fighter alpha 2 developed on alpha 1 with more great characters .

Street fighter alpha 3 went a bit over bord and added every single chracater to date on it , just like Mortal kombat trilogy .

Marvel vs capcom is still a classic , MARVEL vs CAPCOM was a great idea .(i havent played part 2 yet)

As for snk vs capcom series , i havent played , looks a bit dodgy but then again its got a great concept i think .

Street fighter 3 .......... 2nd impact .......blah blach .
    I agree , too many to keep up with , but street fighter 3 (third strike) is just a classic

And as for Street fighter Ex plus , 1 , 2 ,3 . There pretty ok aswell . Trying playing part 2 on the impact emulator its pretty good .

If you think street fighter series is **** now then i ask
    "WHat is good" ?

Ohhh kay,

Super street fighter 2 was a good decent sized, worth while upgrade from street fighter 2. It wasn't because of fei long, t hawk, dee jay and cammy as they're pretty hopeless characters at best.
    It introduced a nice combo system, cancels and balanced alot of the characters while adding new moves like low block breaks.
    Super SF 2 turbo added fupp all, turbo, wow, haven't seen that before, now i can play a game faster than its designed to be played, joy!

Street fighter alpha, it only appeared as interest was disappearing due to capcom spending about 6 years redrawing the same characters in the same game. So, we get all the characters that no one wanted to play as in SF 1, once again, joy!
    As you say, it added supers, which it took from SNK (who had stolen their fair share from capcom i admit). It was amusing but didn't really add much to the game. The characters were pretty tedious, ken and ryu were now chucked in with a very unbalanced set of characters. Alpha 2 has the same problem and its pretty much the same game with some of the old SF2 characters returning (jesus, i wonder why, could it be that they could see no one wanted to play as birdie, guy, sakura or any of the other boring characters??)
    Still no real addition of anything new over super SF 2, custom combo's, boring. Added reversals but made them too easy to do, which means you never get hit.
    Alpha 3, a lesson in trying to make something with alot of depth and failing miserably. Strangely tho, even more of the original SF cast are brought back....hmmmm.

Marvel Vs. Capcom and ALL of the other Versus series. I hate these games with a passion, changed too much of the SF physics, timing goes right out the window. Super jumps are stupid, disorientate both players, new dash is too short and leaves you open, returned to the easy form of reversals. Most unbalanced series of games yet, characters like cyclops are incredibly strong and virtually unbeatable. Then again, its not meant to be a serious fighter, its more of a comedy thing or something.
    Can't be bothered to talk about it much, its not a proper fighter.

Street fighter 3 never appealled to me, and i haven't really played it much so i can't say much about it. Everything else i've played at length.

Tekken in my opinion is the most impressive fighting game out there at the moment, it was always impressive looking from tekken 1 upwards but they really started to put a lot of depth into it from 3 onwards. Tag is probably the most technically brilliant fighter out there, in that it has a huge amount of depth, but its unlike VF4 where theres just too much for you to ever master everything.
    Tekken 4 is a huge let down but i'm putting it down to this new style they've adapted, hopefully they'll refine it in the next games.

As far as 2d fighters go, guilty gear X or XX pretty much wipes the floor. Great to play, anyone can pick it up and knock out some cool juggles and moves. Looks like its come directly from the artboard of an anime. Its great, i can't say enough good things about it.

Rant over, returning to normal.....

Just read the bit about street fighter EX games, hahahahahah, they weren't even capcom games. They were designed by akira, who took a hatchet to the game and murdered it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah the EX games were diabolical. They played like Mortal Kombat 3, which is crap, but without the crap blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rupture41

How about Ehrgeiz on the PS? While lacking depth, though great fun to play(more fun than its DC "rival" Powerstone, dare I say, which garnered much more acclaim and publicity). It was also excellent value for money with Tekken 3 beating mini-games and a diverting, if lacklustre RPG thrown in to boot.

• Advertisement

This thread reminds me that i have soul blade for the ps1 and i never really played it much. I rember it looking much like tekken. But it had an rpg story feel to it. I must dig out the o`l psx and have a go of that one. I never really gave it a chance. tekken 3 dominated my psx when i played it a lot.

Is it just me or was SoulCalibur completely overrated? Apart from the 8Way Run feature it seemed almost a step backward when compared to its predecessor; losing the weapon-break and Critical Edge features. It also lacked the excellent CG intro sequence of the original along with the interactive real-time endings. The score was lacking too, without any memorable tracks. As for the Edge Master Quest mode there was little incentive to keep playing without any extra weapons to collect...aaaaand as with all Namco Fighters it requires little skill to achieve good results, making it prime fodder for the Button Bashers. Strangely, it was SEGA's flagship DC title over here; as the arcade version was mostly overlooked and regarded as mainly a casual affair with little depth.

For what it is, its great. Its not a crazy technical game, its just made to literally button bash with friends, outside of that, its boring.
    Never understand why they put block in as a button, its easily the most annoying thing about the game and if you play it long enough and get used to it, it fupps up all your other fighters as you hammer left kick in an attempt to block.
    Its hugely cheap so perfect for mashers, but its a bit of fun.

Is it just me or was SoulCalibur completely overrated? Apart from the 8Way Run feature it seemed almost a step backward when compared to its predecessor; losing the weapon-break and Critical Edge features. It also lacked the excellent CG intro sequence of the original along with the interactive real-time endings. The score was lacking too, without any memorable tracks. As for the Edge Master Quest mode there was little incentive to keep playing without any extra weapons to collect...aaaaand as with all Namco Fighters it requires little skill to achieve good results, making it prime fodder for the Button Bashers. Strangely, it was SEGA's flagship DC title over here; as the arcade version was mostly overlooked and regarded as mainly a casual affair with little depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's just you. Hopefully.

Does anyone know of any tournaments going ahead anywhere? The only one that I know of was a VF4 tournament held in Kilkenny last summer by Gamesworld(which I missed). I mean, considering the response this thread has gotten so far, fighters seem to still have a fair old following here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I've got VF4 for the PS2.

For the DC I've got King of the Fighter DM1999 (essentially 1998), Soul Calibur.

Kof 2002 is meant to be a real retrn to form. They got rid of all the striker stuff so now its far more like 1998 again. They still haven't replaced all their special moves yet but its close.

Nowadays I play KoF the most. VF4 is brilliant but the depth tends to scare me a little. It's the best choice for single player but not one your going to pull out when your friends come round.

At the moment I'm pretty dissolusioned with Tekken. The play mechanics need alot of work and T4 made no attempts to revolutionise. On rails combos are so restrictive. They should be making things more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Come to think of it, Bushido Blade is the best beat em up ever. It's a real shame that it's never been copied since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

And, indeed, that the second one was crap.

That said, I have an idea in my head that Square are working on a new Bushido Blade style game, but I can't for the life of me work out why I think this. It may have been an announcement ages ago that hasn't been followed up upon.

• Advertisement

KOF2002 is trash, no strikers (which were making themselves useful) essentially no new characters (the new ones are clones of old ones) and its just 2001 with new backgrounds and the same boring ass AI.
    Hopefully they'll soon realise that its gone too far, at the very very least it needs to be designed on a platform more powerful than the 12 year old neo geo, especially when they transfer them to ps2 and DC with no change in graphics/sound anything.

Its sad but its time they just stopped, the neo geo is dead, all its games series are defunct and dead, and all playmore are achieving is staining some good games with some horrible sequels.

Just as a note, they canned their production of SNK vs. capcom (thank god) but are fully intent on ruining the samurai shodown series by letting eolith at it.

Advertisement