Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we make good cartoons?

Options
  • 10-01-2003 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Okay, okay, I know you're going to bite my head off here but I'm going to say something that I think many of us feel.
    I
    Hate
    Animé

Before you all jump into your giant Gundanium mobile suits or you EVAs or whatever to pummel me into the ground, this is nothing personal. I don't hate the people who like Animé or the people who make it. It's just not my cup of tea. I've tried to sit down and watch it, but I just can't stand it. I don't think the Japenese way of thinking translates well into English. I sit there and I can see the bits where the Japenese should take up four or five more seconds and the characters are just standing there like pillocks and I'm like "GOD, SAY SOMETHING!!!!!".

Anyway, even though I personally can't stand it, I recognise that the artwork in Animé cartoons is brilliant. Over the last two years, though, I've noticed that there is lots of Animé on TV (mainly because of Poké-bloody-mon") and there are no European or American cartoons being shown to the same extent. I think this is a little scary, are there no good cartoons out there worth showing. I mean, the Japenese are flooding us with cheap mass produced animation, and a lot of it is complete twoddle (Yu-gi-oh, more like yu-gi-oh-come on! or bey blade, please!!!)

Anyway, does anyone know of any good, non Japenese cartoons out there, and if not why not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

....not....like....animè?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Wtf? You can't discuss this!

FOOL!!

cabbage.

Besides, its not everyone's cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

But....Dragonball Z, it may probably be one of the best cartoons of all time. But on a good day, Cartoon Network show some good stuff, well i think they do, X-man and Spiderman are great cartoons, along with Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo. Samurai Jack, i like that show, and it's not actually japanese. , which is nice, if you don't like that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have to agree with him. Most of those shows are pretty good but a lot of other stuff these days is bollocks. Just whatever crap they think of to fill half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Yu-Gi-Oh is great. Silence fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Pah, proper anime is the best thing in the world. I need to see Princess Monoke *hint hint walker*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i also dislike animé.
    but i LOVE home movies.that is such a FUNNY cartoon.as are many of the non-animé cartoons on cartoon network.....god i love that channel....and half of as told by ginger is hilarious,not the ginger part,the carl and hoods part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

BASTARD!!!!! YEAH!!!!

gargh! Keep meaning to watch Evangelion! but yeah... Bastard! rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Yes, as does Cowboy Bebop. And Outlaw Star, and EVA to some extent.Never watched Trigun. Prison Sex kicks ass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Now there's an anime series of Transformers and Optimus Prime is back in it. He's meant to be dead dammit!!!!! How can they do this?!?!?!?!?!

What I really hate is those computer generated cartoons. They suck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The best is watching akira at half four in the morning. tried pulling a no-sleep night over the summer, decided to watch as many DivX's as possible, ended up watching akira and sitting their going......"Woh, wtf's with his arm like??" and "eeew" a lot. its a ****ing masterpiece. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I'm with you on the not liking animé, there so much better stuff around, but you'll have to synopsise the rest of that post or tell me what it said cause i ain't got time to read it.

Speaking of which, whens orchestra back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Lol @ everyone

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

okay then

Advertisement