Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FRIACO quality?

Options
  • 10-01-2003 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Whenever we actually get FRIACO will it be of a good quality or will we be getting lower speeds, and can Comreg enforce them to give us good quality FRIACO? And what does the C and O in FRIACO stand for - Flat Rate Internet Access C? O?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Don't think will FRIACO cover the line quality. That falls more in to the USO discussed in other threads.

FRIACO

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Calman
    And what does the C and O in FRIACO stand for - Flat Rate Internet Access C? O?

Call Origination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

as many of you know from the uk, eircom will more than likely have cut-off lengths of 2 hours or something were you are disconected for being on for that long or as there are others trying to get on the network and of those already connected, you are on the longest and so you disconnected to allow the new connections a go.

also, a friend of mine is still on esat's old unlimited evening and weekend dial-up service as he threatened legal action so they kept him on, however they seem to be retaliating be only giving him access at a measly 2k/s. could this happen with FRIACO? i don't know, but knowing eircom it's very possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by naitkris
    also, a friend of mine is still on esat's old unlimited evening and weekend dial-up service as he threatened legal action so they kept him on, however they seem to be retaliating be only giving him access at a measly 2k/s. could this happen with FRIACO? i don't know, but knowing eircom it's very possible.
    FRIACO is the wholesale product that Eircom will be supplying to ISPs. The ISPs be the ones running the modems and will be responsible for cut offs and such. FRIACO is simply a way they can connect with Eircom's network on a capacity rather than time-metered basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by naitkris
    however they seem to be retaliating be only giving him access at a measly 2k/s. could this happen with FRIACO?
    I doubt it, you reckon they are going to ask someone in the noc to throttle his connection-and if they did the person concerned would agree to implement it?. This conspiracy theories are interesting though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

well, the guy has no life and connects at 18:01 every evening and disconnects at 07:59 the next day and then there's the weekend...

so that's why esat are limiting him i would think... it wouldn't be too hard for esat to do, though i doubt one user at 5-6k/s would cause esat too much network trouble. it'll be interesting with FRIACO as i can imagine the guy trying for 24/7/365 - some people don't get out much do they?

good thing with FRIACO, is that while there will be disconnections if on for 2 hours or so, is that for people like the guy i know, there will be no download cap unlike DSL. that's the story in the UK anyway.

i personally, just want decent 56k access without worrying about a crazy bill at the end of the month - argueing that 3GB a month download cap is not enough is of little interest to me at the moment as I am not into downloading everything and anything just cause it's on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I'm one of the few still on Nolimits and i probably will stay on it as I can see most FRIACO being:
    a) probably more expensive
    b) ****e quality(Nolimits has improved since Netsmart was introduced. My guess is they use the same server)
    c) if FRIACO is the same as (only off-peak) whats the point as I usually only go online on off-peak times(except holidays)

One thing that I hope to god happens is that the european commission attacks the irish government for not introducing regulation in the telecoms market and allowing the "Last-Mile infrastructure" be controlled by a public body, not privatly owned eircom... With the above legal action and FRIACO making Broadband cheaper(or financial unviable knowing Eircom and Co) perhaps I will see a good connection in 3 years at the earliest. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Chaos-Engine
    I'm one of the few still on Nolimits and i probably will stay on it as I can see most FRIACO being:
    a) probably more expensive
    b) ****e quality(Nolimits has improved since Netsmart was introduced. My guess is they use the same server)
    c) if FRIACO is the same as (only off-peak) whats the point as I usually only go online on off-peak times(except holidays)
    I think there may be some confusion over what exactly FRIACO is here. As I said earlier in the thread, FRIACO is a wholesale product. It may make retail products like nolimits sustainable and prevent too many further kickings. It should be noted though, that in the UK where there is FRIACO, ISPs still boot users that hog the network. Luckily for them, there are other ISPs plus broadband offerings for them to go to.

Advertisement