Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Query

• 10-01-2003 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Just wnat to know what your opinion would be on the following laptop, that I am thinking of buying.

It is a Toshiba Satellite 1000 Z2 (1.1GHz).
    256MB RAM
    DVD
    32MB Graphics
    15GB
    Infrared
    3 USB Ports

Price €900

Is this model worth it?
    Are Toshiba machine reliable

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Good spec for the price. I'm assuming the CPU is a celeron..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 civic

INTEL Celeron 1.1GHZ

It is 9 months old. From looking at Dell's website etc.. you would have to pay around 1600/1700 for the same spec machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by civic
    INTEL Celeron 1.1GHZ

It is 9 months old. From looking at Dell's website etc.. you would have to pay around 1600/1700 for the same spec machine.

let me think if i was in work i could throw the spec of the laptop there for 1299 up for a compair .. i dont think i could spend that mutch on a celeron chip ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

That looks like a decent machine for the price. Elexes, I think you are referring to the dell 2650 laptop which tech posted up? That was 1299 EX vat, and on dells website it looked like 1840 inc vat.
    So its twice the price, and not nearly twice as fast.
    Not all celeron chips are created equal, its very irritating to see someone rubbish a chip they know nothing about. The 1.1ghz celeron is based on the p3 tualatin core. Its got 256k of cache, and so has approximately the same performance as a p3 coppermine of the same speed.

So civic, I think you should get the machine ok. As for toshiba's reliability, well for every brand you will find people who tell you to avoid them like the plague. All I know is that the company I used to work for dropped dell as their laptop supplier for toshiba, after severe problems with dell. They had no problems with toshiba.

Advertisement