Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Scientist ot Year - ya wha ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'll be very sceptical of any claims he has (or has not) made until I see the practical explanation of how he did it. Explanations at a detailed technical level will be needed to win over me and most other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks like most of those 1.5 million lines of code were indeed written by Borland or Microsoft. [/B][/QUOTE]

COPY.........PASTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Explanations at a detailed technical level will be needed to win over me and most other people.
    Well, there's plenty of theories going around like this one. But I agree. Details would be nice. What was done. What it does. Using what resources.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well, there's plenty of theories going around like this one.

Sure you can't trust those muppets on ILUG. They got 55 people in Microsoft the sack today.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by dahamsta

Sure you can't trust those muppets on ILUG. They got 55 people in Microsoft the sack today.

adam

uh... what?

For those of us who have no idea what you're on about, would you care to provide more info or a source for this, adam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

adam
    Originally posted by Bard
    uh... what?

For those of us who have no idea what you're on about, would you care to provide more info or a source for this, adam?

i think he means that if it weren't for the linux OS then 55 people wouldn't have lost their jobs in Ireland today as microsoft would have more profits and a bigger share of the market if it weren't for linux = thus no need to fire those 55 people.

this is only a presumption on my part as i see that adam is a moderator in the "MS Apps / OS" forum.

anyways, please get back on to the topic of this browser, i'm enjoying reading all the new interesting twists and how the story is breaking across the world and the guy still hasn't come out and given his response yet to all these questions and presumptions that are being made about him and this new software of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He`s probaly never been online in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I agree with Mr dahamsta: If those linux guys just paid for all the software they so freely swap, instead of stealing it and trading it, then this wouldn't have happened to those poor people in Microsoft.

But this browser fella, he sounds real smart. Maybe he'll team up with Microsoft to give those guys their jobs back, helping him to sell his browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

From karlin Lillington's weblog here

He says he cannot substantiate the speed increase of the browser as he did not run it to benchmark it himself and he wasn't aware that UCD had run the browser

And from Adnans himself :

"At seven times it actually crashes so I have limited it to six."

Umm ... conflicting statements from the horses mouth ???

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

Before the 2004 Young Scientists Exhibition, I hope there's a way that EsatBT will place core documents online for students and detractors to review the winning projects. XWEBS has created more XTALK for tech bloggers in Ireland than any other blogged topic last year. It would be nice if Irish broadband issues and data privacy legislation generated as much cross-talk and community interest.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lemming
    From karlin Lillington's weblog
    He says he cannot substantiate the speed increase of the browser as he did not run it to benchmark it himself and he wasn't aware that UCD had run the browser
    And from Adnans himself :
    "At seven times it actually crashes so I have limited it to six."
    Umm ... conflicting statements from the horses mouth ???
    Again I suggest people read these reports very carefully. 'He' in Karlin's log refers to a UCD researcher and faculty member (don't their mothers give these people names?), not to Adnan. The researcher was asked to review the work, but was not party to the speed tests in UCD's labs. And I'd speculate that the 'limited it to six' comment is a reference to six download threads, but that's no more than an educated guess.

I agree with Mr dahamsta: If those linux guys just paid for all the software they so freely swap, instead of stealing it and trading it, then this wouldn't have happened to those poor people in Microsoft.

I agree with Zenith. They're thieves the lot of them, stealing other people's intellectual property and wrecking it, just wrecking it. Shame.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well, there's plenty of theories going around like this one.

adam

What a ridiculous thing to say. The linux market share in Ireland is tiny. Are you saying people should be forced to use MS products in an attempt to keep jobs in Ireland?

Or are you taking the p1ss. I hope you are. :)

What a ridiculous thing to say. The linux market share in Ireland is tiny.

The market for Linux is growing daily. I've added three Linux boxes to the network myself in the time I've worked here, and each one is taking food out of MCSE's mouths.

Are you saying people should be forced to use MS products in an attempt to keep jobs in Ireland?

Of course I am. This is about human beings, not uptime or reliability or code reuse or any other of the communist ideals propogated by Linux developers.

I was only talking to my Czech friend Elbillug the other day, and he thinks that Microsoft should go the whole hog and lobby to get the GPL outlawed completely. It's offensive to competition.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

apologies if this site has been posted already but i dont have time to read all the posts just yet.

http://www.enn.ie/ffocus.html?code=8893512

might shed a small bit of light on the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

EDIT

Oops, this post was supposed to go here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76962

Hence I've removed the content as it was a non-sequiteur to the point of being bizarre and disturbing when presented here!

/EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

I've heard some crazy things in my time, but this notion that a Microsoft monopoly is good for competition, and that the 'theiving commie' open source movement costs jobs had to be the craziest yet.

Are you taking the p*ss?

Not even Microsoft would try this arguement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

jobs taken from MS etc., could be transferred to open source companies, no? it's a constant flux, do you think MS should be artificially sustained ?
    it's MS's fault surely, if their products worked as promised, they wouldn't be losing market share :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Get back on topic lads....

Also YES they are taking the piss. use some copon.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

Scare thing is, I don't think that they are taking the piss.

Are you dahamsta and Eth0 ?

• Advertisement

come on get back to the topic as sutty said - move your Microsoft / Linux debate elsewhere!

any news from the kid himself yet? anyone know? that's what I am waiting for so that it can clear up all these unanswered questions many of us have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

lol...do ye not see the trolls when they are begging for feeding before your very eyes ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

it's MS's fault surely, if their products worked as promised, they wouldn't be losing market share

there server products do work as advertised,
    stop talking crap..

the argument these days is about using open source alternative to commerical software from msft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

FFS, get back on topic, this is a crap troll.

Has anyone heard anything else about this guy? found a site about his project... any of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by sutty
    FFS, get back on topic, this is a crap troll.

It worked didn't it? :]

Eh... I don't really care what the kid has done. If it was revolutionary as some reports have said, he'd have sold it to GiantMegaGlobaCorp for a small countrys GNP by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ozmo1

Lots of Info....... inc some info on how he did it...

(note: some of the above info - I posted last week on comp.ie - but no-one seems to read that any more)

I got to speak with Adnan (the guy who won) on Saturday at the exibition amongst a crowd while he was demonstrating the software.

It was a very "graphically enhanced" type interface - XBox logos etc - runs only as fixed 800x600 (?) window- which didnt look sizable (?).
    Not my kind of thing - kind of like browsing inside an WinXP Media Player 8/9.
    This window splits up into different panes - one for Searches, one for DVD etc.

Searches feature looked useful - and ran fast - but as the cgi interfaces to the smaller web search engines
    tend to change often I dont know how long all the searches will work for.

DVD player was an embedded windows media player in a tiny window. I dont know how useful this is really as it still does take up a lot of the screen space, and who looks at films while on the web?
    DVD's are NOT streamed over the web as has been suggested in some accounts - it is simply a MS Media Player embedded. (I think it was Media Player 7 as it displayed the 3 coloured boxes while it was loading).

- Windows are docked panes (like the Search built into IE) - not the overlaping (MDI) multiple-document-interface.

A few windows could be called up to give some low level access to the html and searches.

The main thing I was interested in was the 4x to 6x speed increases.
    He told me DCU took it and tried in on their networks and they tested it to run at between 2x and 4x "depending on
    the Network setup".

The tests were how fast a web page takes to fully load
    on IE vs XWEBS - not pure download speeds of a file.

He said he allowed 300 downloads :eek: of the Software from his site over the week before closing the site (when he decided to put a patent on it I suppose) - *** so if any of you have a copy
    - please share it on p2p or leave a link so claims can really be evaluated.

Looks like he put a lot of effort put into this. & 5 companies contacted him so far - Eircon was one (so i suppose they could advertise a dodgy 5xSpeed 56K as well as their so called "High Speed" lines)

How did he do it?? Well there was a lot of jargon thrown around about broadband servers and such (how that related to POTS lines I dont know) but the apparent speed is by
    several methods -
    * One is by making a more direct connection to the servers, by-passing Winsock as if it was on a Lan.
    * Another is by every request after the First is made with a Higher Priority So index.html gets normal priority and all other items that make up the page get a High priority.
    :( This I dont like -as its just speeding up pages by skipping other surfers in the queue for server items.

The guy himself was friendly and eager to display his applicaton. He didnt seem capable of describing exactly how it all worked in a normal technical way - but maybe this was because he had described it all so many times before...

As a project - it was probably the most underdescribed project I saw there - Two A4 pages in large, but unreadable font, stuck
    to a board.
    Waffly, Completly non-technical description caliming 4 speed downloads (with no proof, graphs or comparisons), skinnable interface(but only one displayed), DVD and media player (types not named) web searches(engines not described or named). Nil points for clarity. A extremly poorly presented project.

Fair play to the guy for his coding abilities though on the app itseld. A nice looking app, written in C++, that looked stable. And f it is all smoke and mirrors - it was 12 UCD judges that were fooled.

I have his email address - but not his web site. He is known
    as "legacy" or "leagacy" on the web.

ozmo.
    :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by ozmo1
    Lots of Info....... inc some info on how he did it...
    To me as a programmer, that still sounds like a game of buzzword bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

and I have been talking to some of the judges and other people who saw the browser.

This is almost becoming an urban legend the way people are talking ;)

Burns:Hmm? What? Oh, and by that I mean, of course, it's time for the "Worker of the Week Award". I can't believe we've overlooked this week's winner for so very, very long. We simply could not function without his tireless efforts. So, a round of applause for...this inanimate carbon rod!
    Homer: Stupid carbon rod. It's all just a popularity contest!
    Bart: Wow! Did you actually get to _see_ the rod?

zynaps

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ozmo1
    DVD player was an embedded windows media player in a tiny window. I dont know how useful this is really as it still does take up a lot of the screen space, and who looks at films while on the web?
    DVD's are NOT streamed over the web as has been suggested in some accounts - it is simply a MS Media Player embedded. (I think it was Media Player 7 as it displayed the 3 coloured boxes while it was loading).

i am not too sure but, but if he didn't get a license from Microsoft for use of their Media Player for the DVD player that is in his software then he is committing a crime by using it without a licence i would think. i am saying this as i read somewhere that it costs "a lot" of money to get such a license from Microsoft. also, even if Media Player was open source, he would still need some kind of permission for it's use in his now "patented" (i.e. commercial) software. if it was freeware there may be no harm done, but to patent his software that features many Microsoft-made (or other) components is a more than a little dodgy if you ask me.

what do others think on this topic, i.e. patenting software that heavily uses technology made by someone else for one's own profit? - this is how i have interpreted it if ozmo1's post regarding Windows Media Player is correct and if it is true, as the kid says, taht he has patented the software.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement