Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Scientist ot Year - ya wha ?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

He may have deserved the award for the overall scale of the integration project alone.

Winamp 5 was not out back then was it :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Muck
    He may have deserved the award for the overall scale of the integration project alone.
    But it's not even science - it's computer programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

Over and above one's specific claim to fame, is there a point when one decides whether or not to embrace hype?

Demonstrably, there is.

However, it is possible to be young enough to not know how to distinguish.

In the case of Elin Oxenhielm, the Swedish 22 year old, who was widely reported to have solved part of an immensely difficult mathematical Problem (Hilbert 16, I fink) end of last year, her website reveals that she really wants to make a career in marketing rather than mathematics.

Fair dues sure. I'm not saying that the same is true of Adnan, because there's been little corroboration, although based on the evidence of the screenshot above, the reduction in visual web real estate is a definite shortcoming. How about a skin that covers the entire html windows fer god's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

I realise my conclusions were incomplete.

One probably does not "make a decision to embrace hype" but vice versa, hype makes a decision to embrace one.

"What is not newsworthy, can be made so". Reading this whole thread properly (this time), it's clear the hype machine decided early on what it wanted Adnan to be and to have achieved.

It's pretty hard to defend oneself against it at any age, never mind 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Still Waiting For Xwebs .... Where Is It Adnan ??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eieio

Just wondering, whatever happened to XWEBS, the "Teen's Web Browser" that "Wows Top Geeks"? I can find no information about it anywhere, 4 years later. Did it ever get sold? Or for that matter, publically displayed? Was the hype justified?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

eieio wrote:
    Just wondering, whatever happened to XWEBS, the "Teen's Web Browser" that "Wows Top Geeks"? I can find no information about it anywhere, 4 years later. Did it ever get sold? Or for that matter, publically displayed? Was the hype justified?
    It never went anywhere. He failed to get any patents, and we were never shown anything whatsoever to prove the claims.
    He has aptly named the new hyperspeed technology "Icarus," the boy in the Greek myth who with wax wings flew too near the Sun. Unlike Icarus, Osmani does not plan to crash into the sea.
    Whoops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

this appears to be the longest running, most viewed, and most replied thread in this forum.

anyone know what Adnan is doing today?

pity no further details were published about XWEBS, if he didn't patent it he could have released the application (if not the code) to the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I know I'm a little late to the party here, but in that image parts of it look awfully like the xbox images.

Its been mentioned before but nothing new actually came from this, he just abused some rfc stanards.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Nedermeyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Meh, would have been cool if he'd had a sex change or something, like that kid in the UK that was a antique expert when he was a kid. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

this years winners mum is a guru in IBM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

I opened the first page of this thread thinking this might be interesting, only to see a zombie 2003 thread with software to increase speeds by 400%, which I rememeber reading about in Indo at the time.

Same crap, different year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

If it did increase speeds he must be a multi millionaire by now, but it didn't and hes not. I gave up on the young scientists when two young fellas invented a test kit to sample milk for mastitis, the Californian test kit was invented long before them young fellas were even thought of :rolleyes: Your man from Blarney that won with a home made stove, again home made stoves were made from old metal drums well before he was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

How about I do the happy thread locking dance instead?

Two year old thread dug up to add little or nothing of value.....locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement