Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing threads

Options
  • 11-01-2003 1:33am
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hello Everybody,

I noticed a post were somebody was asking if anybody had news about broadband been availiable in there area in this case swords but again a mod has decieded that this is not a good enough mod to be left open. I find this is totally unfair, it is a totally valid question and somebody might have more in and reply to the post.

After all people is this not a board were questions can be posted and discussed or is it as I expect a near facaist area were mods seem to think other peoples questions are not valid if they do not think so.

Many thanks for reading please feel free to reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

In the example you quote the Mod in the closing post offered two alternative sources of information. And apologized. Hardly the actions of a fascist.

You carrying baggage by any chance?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I did not really mean to be this hard but I feel sorry for the poor guy as I think this was a very valid question. The boards have some very informed people on them with great knowledge I just would like them to be able to voice it. I have no issues at all with mods by the way. I understand they have to police rubbish but not people using the boards in the way it was intended. I may be wrong and thats ok but it is just a thought.

By the way go see gangs of new york very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We had a discussion about the multitude of threads a few months back (most people will probably remember). As mods the two things we were asked by users to crack down on were:

Vaporware threads, particularly from companies themselves either announcing products that didn't exist or announcing products as new when they had been around for some time already.

Threads asking "Is X available in my area" (people pointed out at the time that there was already a Nets/Comms forum where such questions would be more appropriate - since then we've added a FAQ here and we also now have a Broadband forum for general questions)

I'm not trying to hide behind the excuse fo "just following orders guv" - I'm merely giving one reason that people felt a little strongly about. That in itself would be enough of a reason for me.

On a personal (but still mod) note, the last things we all need are either vaporware threads from companies pimping their products or a new thread for many telephone exchanges around the country (there are hundreds and hundreds of the things but obviously not every exchange would have someone asking about their's). Even twenty would be enough to take over the whole thread.
    is it as I expect a near facaist area were mods seem to think other peoples questions are not valid
    Nope - not at all. Dustaz pointed out the three other (more appropriate) fountains of information, including the FAQ which links to the Esat webpage that answers the question directly. We're not totalitarian, we're not running an oligarchy here. As I've said elsewhere the job of a mod is akin to ringmaster of a circus if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

What he said :)

(and to think i was going to post a 'set my people free' card ..... ;) )

Advertisement