Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADD COMMUNITY - Skandinaviska Språk (Danish, Norwegian & Swedish)

• 11-01-2003 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Board Name: Skandinaviska Språk (Danish, Norwegian & Swedish)
    Description: Board for those who want to discuss the Scandinavian languages and/or converse in them.
    Private Y/N: N

If approved, it will be in the "Society > Languages" area. As the Scandinavian languages are very similar (written anyway) I thought it'd be a cool idea to have a joint forum to bring us Scandinavians living in Ireland together (from what I hear - there is enough of us to have ourselves a decent sized town). It also can serve as a place for those who want to know more about the countries or learn one of the languages. I would hope to post threads dedicated to learning some new words in Swedish (Danish, Norwegian anyone?) for non-Scandinavians (I am Swedish btw).

I know I need 4 other people to support this before a board it is created and would appreciate support from non-Scandinavian speakers as well if you are willing to lay your username on the line :-).

cheers,

Naitkris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'll support it. Theres loads of the Northern lads in Cork.

I speak a bit of swedish myself:

Bork Bork Bork Heeere Burdy Burdy Bork Bork Bork Ah Hurdy Burdy

Seriously though, not a bad idea at all. I give it the thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Me too. Fully support this proposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

/me gives support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by yellum
    I'll support it. Theres loads of the Northern lads in Cork.

I speak a bit of swedish myself:

Bork Bork Bork Heeere Burdy Burdy Bork Bork Bork Ah Hurdy Burdy

Seriously though, not a bad idea at all. I give it the thumbs up.

i am in cork myself, studying at UCC. thanks for such quick support btw - just 1 more vote needed (though more then 1 would be very welcome too)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thumbs up

I'd be interested especially if you go ahead with that "swedish for idiots" idea

(watching Smultronstället with no need for subtitles would be nice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Endorsed! I'd also like some Scandi-for-idiots.

I know Finland technically isn't Scandinavia, but can it be included nonetheless? :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Anything that brings blonde haired Scandinavian sexy ladies to boards definately gets my firm vote standing to attention.

And I can impress said ladies with my knowledge of their tongues by saying
    Du e mongo!
    Rot grot med fleude
    and - Mele mister messen mele manga melaria.

that usually gets them going ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I support this, albeit for the exact same reasons gordon does :)

Originally posted by Gordon
    Anything that brings blonde haired Scandinavian sexy ladies to boards definately gets my firm vote standing to attention.

And I can impress said ladies with my knowledge of their tongues by saying
    Du e mongo!
    Rot grot med fleude
    and - Mele mister messen mele manga melaria.

that usually gets them going ;)

Gordon - very good, unfortunately i for 1 am not female, nor completely blone for that matter. sexy? i'd like to think so.

on the topic of blondes, coming from sweden, irish girls who dye their hair blonde look so ugly compared to their natural colour - i always avoid those fake blondes i tell ya! irish girls the way they are are just fine.

thanks to everyone who has supported my cause for this new forum albeit for "different" reasons.

Naitkris

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    As I'm going to UCC, live in Cork too and think it's a good idea I fully support it!

What are you studying BTW?

computer science, you?

Originally posted by PiE
    Endorsed! I'd also like some Scandi-for-idiots.

I know Finland technically isn't Scandinavia, but can it be included nonetheless? :]

Finnish is very very different from any of the Scandinavian languages trying to talk to one another would lead nowhere and again it's also not in Scandinavia contrary to popular belief, it is a Nordic country as is Iceland though, but again Icelandic is also slightly different and hard to understand if I was to speak to someone from Iceland. So no, I don't think it should be included.

While on this discussion isn't it so similar to the EU and Turkey. While only 5% of Turkey can be considered to be in Europe, people are actually considering having Turkey in Europe. For heavens sake, TURKEY IS NOT A EUROPEAN COUNTRY and never will be (well maybe only in a couple of thousand years if one takes into account the movement of the Earth's plates!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Originally posted by naitkris
    TURKEY IS NOT A EUROPEAN COUNTRY
    And either is Israel so why oh why are they in the Eurovision song contest :confused:

I know Suomi is alot different from the others, but it's hardly gonna get a board on its own :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

u could get board.se and link it ;)

phase 1 to world domination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Gordon
    And either is Israel so why oh why are they in the Eurovision song contest :confused:

Member of the European Broadcasting Union. That's what gets them in. And the reason they're in the EBU is the same reason they play the World Cup qualifiers in the European groups and don't get to automatically win the Asian Nations Cup any more - the Arabs don't want to deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Jag ar Gud tbh

Hey thanks Sceptre, it has been confusing me and some friends for some time now.

Originally posted by PiE
    I know Suomi is alot different from the others, but it's hardly gonna get a board on its own :(

very true, i see your point, though most Finns have Swedish as their 2nd langauge and 350,000 of them have it as their mother tongue so they're welcome to join in of course.

i could change it to Nordiska Språk and thus include Iceland as well, but like the Nordic bid for Euro 2008, it's just too many countries in one bid for it to be viable. If it was like South America where the languages are the same (bar Brazil - Portugese) then it would be no problem.

i'm guessing your Finnish yourself, PiE?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm all for it...
    I might find out what the hell all these Norwegian bands are on about?
    Maybe it'd spoil the mystery of it though...?

i could change it to Nordiska Språk and thus include Iceland as well, but like the Nordic bid for Euro 2008, it's just too many countries in one bid for it to be viable.

Aye I see your point too.

i'm guessing your Finnish yourself, PiE?

I wish :) I'm just interested in that part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

"Ya for sure from Sweden"
    "But, you're wearing Leiderhosen"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by STaN
    u could get board.se and link it ;)

phase 1 to world domination

phase 1???

I was told they were on phase two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by sceptre
    Member of the European Broadcasting Union. That's what gets them in. And the reason they're in the EBU is the same reason they play the World Cup qualifiers in the European groups and don't get to automatically win the Asian Nations Cup any more - the Arabs don't want to deal with them.

And the same with Morocco.

in 1980, if you are asking....

Da dum da de daaa dum daaaaaaa de daaaa, da-dum da de dadada da dum da de da, da dum da de daaa dum daaaaaaa daaaa, da dum-de-dum-de daaaaaa, dum da!

Now, can we break the pan-baltic stranglehold on the Eurovision?

Originally posted by DMC
    Now, can we break the pan-baltic stranglehold on the Eurovision?

Nah, let them keep it. Make it MiddleEastroVision so we can be rid of it once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by PiE
    Nah, let them keep it. Make it MiddleEastroVision so we can be rid of it once and for all.
    But then what will the winner of your a star do? If (s)he's in the eurovision we're garaunteed(well almost) that we'll never hear of him/her again. But if they just get a record deal they could annoy us for months ala hear'say or 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by DMC

Da dum da de daaa dum daaaaaaa de daaaa, da-dum da de dadada da dum da de da, da dum da de daaa dum daaaaaaa daaaa, da dum-de-dum-de daaaaaa, dum da!

They just dont write lyrics like that anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Need to brush up on my Danish for work.

Hence this board suggestion get's my two thumbs up.

icon14.gificon14.gif

Can't see it being massively busy - but then again neither is the Gaeilge (Irish) board and it still serves it's purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The thing that confuses me is no replies from other Scandis...

They're hiding somewhere, we know they're out there.

some say us scandinavians, particularly swedes are bit shy, though i'd expect that not to be the case on an internet forum. oh well, i've got 10 votes (including myself) which is more than the required 5, so if any boards.ie admin reads this then maybe we could get the ball rolling perhaps?

cheers,

Naitkris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

computer science

tjena slyna, what year? (i also do comp science in ucc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Patman

I'd be happy to give my vote. Det er altfor få skandinaver i Irland. Send flere. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

"Please to help me, with my Rucksack".

Originally posted by Illkillya
    tjena slyna, what year? (i also do comp science in ucc)

i'm in 1st year, och du själv? kult att det finns andra skandinavier i datorvetenskap. det finns en norsk också i år 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

jag är inte skandinavisk! I'm in 2nd year, and last year there was at least one Swedish person in the course. do you play quake? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Approved.

Originally posted by Illkillya
    do you play quake? :)

of course... also unreal (which seems to be the most popular among the other students) and pretty much any fps game since wolf 3d which i first played back in 1993 or something on my trusty old IBM PS/1.

oh, my forum is now up so you can start talking a little swedish if u like. btw, what happened to the swedes from last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

Advertisement