Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online cheating gets a mention in the Economist

Options
  • 22-08-2000 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

This week's Economist, page 78, theres a 3/4 page article on cheating in online games, with a piccy from quake2 no less smile.gif Strangely the article is one they chose not to publish on their website, that makes sense I don't think.

Manages to avoid calling all gamers geeks and nerds unlike certain other recent printed articles smile.gif

Most interesting bit is the last para:
    Developers are hindered in preventing such cheats by the limitations of the Internet and long-distance gameplay. If they constantly check and recheck all program files and commands to screen out cheaters, the game itself may run so slowly that it puts off everyone. In many cases, the server is being run by one of the players themselves in one of hundreds of ad hoc multiplayer game sessions that are running at any time on the Internet: sometimes they are run by ''clans'' and surreptitious code gives advantages to other clan members, taking advantage of unsuspecting visitors. Nasty - but clever.

If only that talent could be harnessed for good, not evil. Or, to put it another way, if only evil weren't so much fun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

I think given the oppertunity most players would cheat. There is a recently released RPG called Vampire: The Masquerade and that community is rotting because of it. One guy came into my server with a sword with 1000 in each stat line (the maximum is 100). Now, I only put on god mode on in my server to protect myself from the other players. Then they complain becuase their incredibly powerful cheat weapons cannot kill me. I believe the term is 'vicious circle'.

So people are working on programs to help them cheat. Why cant people work on programs to help them stop cheating?

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , " My son , sometimes you talk a lot of ****. Knock it off." Before I could speak in walks Christopher Lloyd with a time machine under his arm and just then...it started to get weird...

[This message has been edited by ThunderingMike (edited 22-08-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You'd think with all the benevoulant hackers out there, that someone would just nuke all the major cheat sites that llamas get there cheats from...
    /me looks towards some people biggrin.gif

It's about a society in freefall....

Advertisement