Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brushes

• 11-01-2003 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

I was just starting to paint my Avatar today...and I noticed that it;s going to be a bitch to do the fine detail with the citadel brushes i recently bought.
    They're a bit pants tbh.

I remember back in the days when GamesPeoplePlay was in Glaway they had these brushes from an irish supplier, anyone have an other reccomended brush maufacturers/sources?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

there are certian things i never buy from GW glue and brushes. You can always get them cheaper in easons or some place like that.

I find the fine detail brush from GW is bloody hughe. You get mush finer brushes in Easons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Have their brushes gotten bad lately? cos for 3 years I used GW sable brushes. I found the long bristles easy to mould and work with on ultra fine detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They must've, cos I got a new detail and fine detailbrush there recently and it's gone to crap very soon (bristles have fanned out).

I saw the ones in Easons alrigh, they're made in Ireland aren'y they?

I think i bought one or two before, they were nice till they met with enamel....

how well do you look after your brushes? The slightest grain of paint left to dry would destroy them. Brush care is incredibly important with sable brushes, especially if you plan on high detail work.

Well I do rinse them in water and dry them with a tissue...why?
    How are you supposed to clean them? It's not something I gave much attention to before tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

If they start to fan out hold the brush in really hot water. They glue holding the brissles in softens and then you carefully finger them back into shape.
    Always Buy your glue somewhere else.
    Easons brushes? Yeah they can be gotten smaller. Usually more expensive but still need to keep really good care of them. I've loads of each GW and art shop supplied ones. Just take care of them and they'll last for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

its not that the brushes in GW are bad quality! Its that they are too big. The fine detail brush is bigger than the bigest small brush i would buy from easons or really use for much. Fine detail shoould be just that fine....

How does one take care of them properly?
    Any special way to clean them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ive found the GW brush's fine for more or less everything, some eldar glyph's or runes can be a bit of a bugger, but apart from that they do the job fine, they also last longer than any brush Ive had, only went through 3 standard and 2fine detail brush's and Ive painted roughly 15,000 points of models, or maybe a little more.

How does one take care of them?

Any particular procedure before leaving them down?
    Any tips on cleaning them during and after use?

• Advertisement

Not really, warm water and tissue. Dy then on a tissue by drawing them towards you slowly rotating them helps keep the bristles in a points. if you see a speck of paint burried in the bristles scratch it out with yout nail carefully then wash in warm water to make sure the bristles arent damaged. Proper care and common sense will mean your brushes will last a very long time. If you don't pay much attention to it you will replace them often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to lick my brushes a lot :) Its always kept them in top-notch condition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Regi
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I tend to lick my brushes a lot :) Its always kept them in top-notch condition!

This gets a nice point on the brush. perfect for fine detail. But i buy my brushes from an art shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Regi
    That can be a good trick for gettin that perfect tip on the brush, but better make sure the brush is pretty clean or else you will get a nice mouthful of paint :)

Scraping the bristles with your nail can be useful to get that annoying paint thats sticks near the base of the brisles away.

I keep my expensive sable brushes for other work. Wouldn't let acrylics near em. Thats the main reason I used the GW ones. That and the fact that I got used to painting fine detail with long bristles.

tbh, I do clean them with the tissue, might not always scrape the little clumps of paint out, and I've licked them from time to time, but they still go like a toilet brush, bloody annoying after shelling out the cash for them :(

might not always scrape the little clumps of paint out

Thats why your brushes don't last so.

Advertisement