Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games workshop on liffey street

• 11-01-2003 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

About 6 years ago i was mad into painting figures, and it's something i'm quiet good at. i started on Mithril figures of lord of the rings. Then i found games workshop figures in Marks Models and started painting them. They where alot easlier than mithril figures to paint, more detail but bigger detail. All i was into was painting them not in playing with then. Playing with them all sounds abit gay to me!!!
    Then Games work shop moved to Liffey Street(i think it was a bout 6 years ago maybe i'm wrong) and i started to go there. First few times i went there i'd spend alot of money, but i was always been hasseled by the staff. The minute i'd walk into the shop i was hounded by some british employee who couldn't get over the fact that i only painted and didn't play. They could see i was a big collecter, and couldn't see why i just painted. Then they wanted me to bring my collection in to show them, and when i explained that i didn't like the way that theirs where painted i'd be verbaly abused. And it was the same each time i went in. So it wasn't long before i was put off going in there and so ended my hobbie. They put me off it big time. I still can't see the attraction of playing with them.

Any ways i've just discovered that this forum was here and i wanted to get that off my chest. Do the British employees still work there, they were such ****.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

No most of those mad feckers are gone now. I dont know that lads in the liffy street branch very well any more. But the lads in Blanchardstown are all very nice and dont have a problem with people who just paint. If you spend money on the hobby they dont mind.

My brothers girl friend went into liffy street onece to buy some models cause she was an art student and wanted some for some reason, perhaps to paint them. They guy in the shop gave out to her and she said she couldent put the 2 models in the same bad as they were mortal enimies, i dont know what she baught. She told him to f*ck off and get a life. Good for her.
    If Liffy street is still like that dont let it put you off a wonderfull hobby! But I dont think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

I dunno, they've seemed pretty good to me, nice too. Its the only place I've been to since I used to use the shop in the matthews centre in cork, run by that bloke with the 'tash and the wierd voice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

I have got a very strong feeling of deep insinserity from the manager of Liffey st any time I have ever been in his presence. Theres a possibility for a really nice group of people there, but somehow I always leave feeling that little but put off by the shop.
    They also have a tendency to have their mail lost in the post, and for years would immediately throw out any promotional material given to them once the person had left the shop, even when it promoted their own games!

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They sound like a bunch of tosser tbh.

Specially that lad on to yer want about "mortal enemies".
    Spent too long chatting to the 12 year olds methinks.
    Been in there a few times over the last few years myself, can't say I've ever met the people described.

/-Aside-/ Anyone know if you can get Red spraypaint?

In [plug]Gamers Realm in Galway[/plug] we've got these 2-3 sound lads, they do all sorts of gaming and modeling, form scalextric to Werewolf to horny trains to the small IC engined RC cars. Always willing and able to answer any question for you or order stuff in especally for you.
    Only thing is the place can be packed during th day with little wakers from the secondary schools nearby playing MtG all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Originally posted by francie brady
    First few times i went there i'd spend alot of money, but i was always been hasseled by the staff. The minute i'd walk into the shop i was hounded by some british employee who couldn't get over the fact that i only painted and didn't play.when i explained that i didn't like the way that theirs where painted i'd be verbaly abused. They put me off it big time.
    Any ways i've just discovered that this forum was here and i wanted to get that off my chest. Do the British employees still work there, they were such ****.

So I'm not really sure if I should post a response to this or any of the other comments below.
    The reason for this is simple. No prizes for guessing who I useded to work for!!!! ;)
    I'd worked in said company since it opened in Liffey St. and for a long time after that. So no doubt I have spoken to you on a few occasions.
    Don't worry I'm not going to go on a rant about everything GW. Just want to say I guess it all would have to depend on who you were talking to etc. I know a lot of the staff I worked with were a little out there to say the least. But at the end of the day they are sales people that are there to sell you a product. And if they didn't, well like any job you don't last to long eh?
    Myself, well my approach was simple. I couldn't give a **** if you bought anything or not. Weather you had spent thousands or just a few quid you were all the same to me. Just people who liked some of the things I liked.

Anyway whatever your into, enjoy it..........
    later

P.S. Just to let you in on a little inside info......except for the first two months of Liffey St shop opening, all the staff (bar maybe 3 being trained for other stores) over the following 3 years were irish, swedish, french and spanish. Trust me thats the truth!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

/me gets drunk and starts banging the table yeling "Go Home Brits", "Dirty Oul Tans" and "Remember 1916!" etc.

;)

It was only a matter of time before someone who'd worked there posted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Trust me it has nothing to do with my nationist sympathies. I labeled them british cos thats what they were. they were just a bunch of tossers who liked to hassle people.
    In [plug]Gamers Realm in Galway[/plug] we've got these 2-3 sound lads, they do all sorts of gaming and modeling, form scalextric to Werewolf to horny trains to the small IC engined RC cars. Always willing and able to answer any question for you or order stuff in especally for you.

I've been in Games Realm and my Brother has built a orc army out of Games Realm. The guys there are really laid back and you have to hassle them to be served lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Blanch Staff members - cool, theyre all friendly and dont hound ppl, theyre cool to the regulars (esp. the old skoolers such as meself) unfortunatley on sunday theyre totally over-run by kids.

Liffey Street - have such irregular staff, theyre always switching with england and the north. they also deal with a lot less regulars and more people who just walk off he street being curious and so hound anyone who comes in.

moral of the story - go to GW blanch!

p.s. i'd have to say that the painting standard in the cabinet in liffey street is better tho.

Originally posted by SyxPak
    /me gets drunk and starts banging the table yeling "Go Home Brits", "Dirty Oul Tans" and "Remember 1916!" etc.
    ;)

hehehe top class ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Blanch is by far the better shop.

All the leagues are fun, and you get to know the staff real well, they don't see you as lesser for not working there or anything and they help the kids, which is mighty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Originally posted by SyxPak

Well I worked in the Blanch store a few years ago now but I still call in from time to time to see the lads and they are a bunch of very nice lads with their heads screwed on properlly and dont hassel people too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i worked in Liffey street for just over a year, i was one of the feared 'Matts' :)

You will all bow down before my mighty Invisible Shopping Kart of Destiny.

but seriously, the way we were trained was to push the sale and hobby at all times.

you had to enthuse the customer with a bloodlust rivaling kharn himself :)

i got really tired of it after The old manager Steve Quit, then when there was a shakeup from england i just quit.

havent played tabletop since, but i am still working on 40k roleplay, in fact writing a story now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

spooky donkey, who are you?????

(lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Does anyone remember Magnus from loike 6 odd years ago? He pwned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Mystic Fibrosis
    Does anyone remember Magnus from loike 6 odd years ago? He pwned.

I have vague recollections of some guy called Magnus in GW-Liffey St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭EdBanger

Yeah he's a skater kid nowadays, sometimes see him round TempleBar

Magnus the gentle sweed! The guy who worked there right?

Advertisement