Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Pint In Ireland?

Options
  • 12-01-2003 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi,

pls pardon the following rant, but...........................

On Friday afternoon I stood speechless and dumbstruck at the counter of a bar in Barrack Street.

In the area where I live (Dillons Cross) a pub cartel is in operation and the price of a pint of Beamish is 3 euro in each of the five local pubs. On Friday, in the Quinryan on Barrack Street I paid 2euro 15 cents for a superior pint of same. Okay, the pub is a bit "basic" and looks like a derelict building from the outside. But there was a blazing coal fire, a friendly clientele, a pool table in the back and a video of "BlackHawkDown" showing. I stayed for a long while!

Thing is, this place is a family run pub -- can support a livelihood for a family at these prices -- and I realise I'm being financially screwed in my own local. From here on I'm going to vote with my wallet regarding these other rip-off establishments. "I'm Mad As Hell And I'm Not Gonna Take It Anymore"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PalerPaul

Where the hell is that. I pay between 3.90 to 4.15 for a pint. I demand to know where these pubs are, I demand you tell me....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's a great pub, I went in there last year on a pub crawl. I remember standing outside with a few lads trying to decide if it was actually a pub.

As you're walking up Barrack Street, just look for the building with the boarded up windows on the left hand side, I reckon about a quarter of the way up (although I was pissed).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by dahamsta

just look for the building with the boarded up windows on the left hand side,

adam

Heh heh, Adam, funnily enough I mentioned this to one of the customers on Friday and apparently those windows were boarded up by the film crew of "Angela's Ashes" for the poverty/realism effect thing. (the pub featured as "O'Shaughnessys" in Angelas Ashes.)

Anyway, a week after filming finished, the film craftsmen arrived back to install a new window but the owner would have none of it. It would affect the .........um......ambience, and besides he reckoned "my regulars wouldn't take too kindly to any tarting up of the place" ! Priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That price is amazing! I'm in Cork this friday so i'll go check it out. Usually i'm a Guinness drinker, however when i'm in Cork in like the Beamish. mmm... Maybe that's cause my gf's father works for b & c and he scares me :(

Originally posted by sjones
    Usually i'm a Guinness drinker, however when i'm in Cork in like the Beamish. mmm... Maybe that's cause my gf's father works for b & c and he scares me :(

Serious conflict of interests there, sj :). Your g/f or your Guinness.......... hmmmm, that's a tough one.

Some clarification............ I've discovered that the 2euro15 Quinryan price apllies only from 10.30 am to 6.00pm, Mon to Fri. The price increases to 2.40 at other times.

Conversely, a couple of doors up the street (on the same side) in Bradleys the Beamish is 2.20 at all times. In the interests of research and as a pro-bono-publica duty I have also visited this establishment in the past few days!! However, I have to report the "pint" in there isn't the best.

Sj. even if you don't go into the Quinryan do pause to have a look at the frontage......... like dahamsta you will not believe that a pub could possibly exist behind such a derelict exterior. And BTW, welcome to Cork, biy.

My original post was motivated by my indgnation at the price differentials between various pubs and various areas of the city. That still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8
    Serious conflict of interests there, sj :). Your g/f or your Guinness.......... hmmmm, that's a tough one.

It all comes down to which has the better head :D

(ok I was gonna say "it all comes down to which gives the better head" but thats just disgusting)

Pleyd, Rymus. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

€2.15 you lucky git.

I haven't paid less than €3.50 for a pint of stout in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 derv_

nothing.... knowing the men behind the bar helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

did a man form monaghan just revive a 5 year old thread on the price of a pint in cork city?

roll on recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

no of course not. That would be silly, safest thing to do would be to not check, and simply move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

2euro pints of tennants in the hole in the wall galway

locked on 20 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Bet you didn't see the best before date on that Tennents keg though. You get what you pay for. Prob doesn't matter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Bakers place in Limerick : €5 for 2 pints of coors light on certain nights....

it was a saturday i believe :)

O' Connells bar in limerick pints of guinness are always 3.30

they usually do free shots promos aswell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kensworld

Preachers on Washington St have a beer of the day for €3.00, all other pints are €3.50

For anyone living in or near Newcastlewest Co. Limerick. There's a bar called "The Shamrock Bar" that has a beer on tap for 2.50.... i saw it in the window..

Advertisement