Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best so called "Grunge" band?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Me too.
    Layne Staley RIP. :(

Dirt has to be the best grunge album of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aye nirvana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

dirt is the best album ever in my opinion. mad season - above runs it close though

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Soundgarden.

Chris Cornell is the greatest singer that ever lived. Really.

agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Avril lavigne, clearly!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

DEFO NIRVANA! SAYZ I AND ME!

I can't believe Alice in Chains aren't top of this poll.
    They're even below Smashing Pumpkins, and they're not even grunge!

C'mon lads, Dirt is possibly the greatest grunge album imho.

I'm sick of these 12 yr old nu-metal kiddies who say 'kurt is god' 'nirvana are the best' etc.
    They also probably only have heard nirvana's most commercial album, Nevermind. And their favourite song is Teen Spirit. :rolleyes:

When most of them have never even heard of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, etc.

Im not saying any of you guys fit into this criteria, so no flaming :)

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers.

i agree completely with the last statement. Dirt IS the best grunge album ever and Soundgarden and Mudhoney are both amazing!

also, is it just me or is Nevermind the worst Nirvana album? In Utero and Incesticide are far better whilst Bleach is slightly better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

is it just me or is Nevermind the worst Nirvana album
    I have to disagree, as, in my opinion, every big band has one album that stands out against the rest as being the epitome of their success, fame, and musical prowess. For Nirvana, IMO, that album was Nevermind.

Originally posted by Axe
    ..that stands out against the rest as being the epitome of their success, fame, and musical prowess..

You forgot relentless promotion.

Nevermind is bollox.

Dirt, now that's a good album (where have i heard this before..? :) ).

I agree with the relentless promotion bit, but i refuse to stand idly by and let Nevermind be proclaimed bollox. There are several good songs on the album, including Lithilm, In Bloom and Terretorial Pissings. The biggest downside to Nevermind is that it is worshipped by a bunch of irritating small children who probably weren't alive when it was released.

the main problem with it is the following: any songs that are good are over played and become meaningless. and axe, i suggest you go and listen to Dirt, Ten, Vs, Badmotorfinger and Superunknown then say if its a good grunge album. all these, plus many more, completely over shadow it

any songs that are good are over played and become meaningless
    I agree, but the fact that they are overplayed does not make them bad.

Secondly, I am not suggesting that Nevermind is the best grunge album ever, I am just sayin it isn't bollox, as was stated by ManWithThePlan.

I stand by my comment saying Nevermind is bollox.

Yes agreed, the follwing by little kiddies ruined the album.

The producer of the record also ruined it. Nirvana hated Teen Spirit, but they were forced to place it #1 on the album. They didn't even want it released. **** sake, they even had to promote it on Top of the Pops. (Ok, Kurt ruined the performance in a kind of 'boycott' but he still performed on TOTP!)

I don't mind Nirvana as a whole, but they are no where near Alice in Chains or Soundgarden. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

nevermind is a ****in great album and anyone who says otherwise is...well, a big dumb head.

they were never "forced" to place slts as track 1 on the album, thats just the way kurt wanted it. i fact most people expected in bloom and lithium to be the two big singles from that album.

likewise they were never forced to play on totp, and kurt only "boycotted" it as you put it because they werent allowed to play live...in fact they were origionally asked to mime.

maybe its not nirvanas best album, that all depends on your taste

also, the producers of nevermind did not ruin the album, it was done just the way kurt wanted it done

dont believe me ? look at all the re-mixes done on in utero (scott litt remixed several tracks, including pennyroyal tea because kurt said it was a definite single and he wanted it to sound alot better)

anyone who says nirvana hated teen spirit is talking bollox, same as if you think kurt really hated all the media attention and selling loads of records

examples : the whole vma 92 rape me/lithuim thing, engineered by kurt to draw more attention to the band (kurt was very close to dropping the idea when mtv said they wouldnt play nirvana videos anymore)

the fact that he'd tell interviewers that he hated the fact that slts was all over mtv, then turn around and ring geffen and demand to know why it wasnt being played more

half the **** that came outta kurts mouth was made up, so dont believe any of the **** about only wanting to sell to a few 1000 records so their friends would like them (as said in one interview)

"Few artists can lay claim to inventing a new type of music, but Nirvana did. In combining a puritanical punk ethos with a vicious metal fecority and chart pop's ear for a catchy tune, Kurt Cobain created grunge."

lil quote from nme - thats what grunge is...note the bit about "chart pop....", thats what nirvana have over AiC, soundgarden etc etc, its not just the style of music, its everything.

and so what if nevermind is worshipped by kids (even if they werent alived when it was released), it just proves its a great album...dont see many kids listening to dirt these days to you ? funny thing that. no really, its a great album

oh, and axe...several good songs on nevermind ? name one bad one, coz imo there just isnt one

actually nirvana didnt invent grunge, The Jesus Lizard, Green River, Tad bands like that did. and nirvana have nothing over any grunge band, cept they were more commerical and sellable

they were never "forced" to place slts as track 1 on the album, thats just the way kurt wanted it.

Actually, Kurt wanted Lithium as song #1 on Nevermind.
    He thought that Lithium was a much better song, and never realised Teen Spirit was going to be so popular.

axe...several good songs on nevermind ? name one bad one
    I didn't want to say that all are good, as i was trying to provide as cast-iron an argument as possible. Had I said that all the songs were good, I would have been shot down at once, whereas by naming a couple, people don't have as much grounds to argue.

I think I speak for all (but I know I don't), when I say that people hate Nevermind because of SLTS. I know for a fact you will disagree with this, but SLTS, isn't great, its barely good. It's too likeable! It's packed to the teeth with commercial appeal, and it annoys the hell out of me.

• Advertisement

i think all of us, including you Axe, liked SLTS to start with, but it is WAAAY too over played and becomes so boring. and no, i dont hate Nevermind. the only thing i have against it is that it is nowhere near as good as In Utero or Incesticde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

how exactly do you define grunge anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well it's not quite gunge and it's not quite rubbish, but maaaaaaaaaaaan heh heh heh

So to answer you're question, I don't know. :)

Originally posted by Darkillion
    i think all of us, including you Axe, liked SLTS to start with
    Agreed, but that was when I was young and foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Just because a song is overplayed is not an excuse to hate it. We get bored of everything. Nevermind was a great album, and believe me, if you bought it when it had just come out, it would have been your favourite album of all time (probably). It was damn good. Of course there were better bands around, but you have to remember, it was Nirvanas "fault" that hair metal died! (and Poison)

Originally posted by Mewzel
    how exactly do you define grunge anyway?

to be a grunge band then you must be from/based in seattle and have been around from at least the very early ninties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭poeticallydead

Pearljam, they are fab dabby dosy good!!
    How could you could consider the pumpkins or any other band minus soundgarden or nirvana to be one of the best grunge bands ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭poeticallydead

Grunge, everyone has their different views and opinions, but in my opinion i think pearl jam is the only contendor for this honour, some fool told me that he thought oasis was the best grunge band ever, i near hit him, grunge or not, oasis are bad, bad, bad, bad! That's like saying you like T.A.T.U

Oasis arent grunge and arent crap as well

• Advertisement

Very strange that Oasis would be classes as grunge, very strange indeed! They are an excellent band though, although I am well aware that a torrent of abuse for that statement is imminent.

Advertisement