Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best so called "Grunge" band?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

and i bet you thought i would start it....but i wont

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ah come on Oasis, jesus I don't know why they did so well. It's about time Liam sung through his mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 escapeing death

in all honesty i dont think you can say that grunge was confined to seattle.it was started there and mainly based there but i stand by that the pixies were basicly grunge and that and the smashing pumpkins were grunge even according to themselves when they mistakeingly said "we are takeing grunge to a new level"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

For the love of god, being in Seattle does NOT define grunge. Its not an encapsulated country or something. Thousands of bands picked up the sound along the way. It just happens that a LOT of pioneers came from Seattle.

oh, and imo releasing those goddam Cobain diaries is the most retarded thing I could have though of.

actually, to be grunge you MUST be from seattle. the name came when Mark Arm was asked about the music scene in Seattle at the time and he said it was 'grungey' therefore, only bands from seattle at the time are grunge bands. any one else who sound like it are either alt. rock or 'nu-grunge' and dont even argue with that because im right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 escapeing death

grunge started in seattle.ok lets put it this way the music scene in seattle was called grunge then it exploded and spread all over the world and grunge bands sprung up in diffrent places it wasn,t confined to seattle it just started there and was mainly there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭poeticallydead

i would never argue with darren!

it's uasually really hard to win

unless you have a superior knowledge of all

Grunge is not a sound, it is a scene. the early 90's seattle rock scene. you cannot say that some band are grunge because they sound like it, as it doesnt work like that. grunge does not have a definative sound. Pearl Jam sound nothing like Alice In Chains who sound totally different to Nirvana who in turn sound very different to Soundgarden who are nothing like Mother Love Bone who have no musical similarities to Mudhoney. i could go on. the point is, grunge has nothing to do with a sound of music, it is to do with a place, at one time, and therefore no one outside it can be classified under it. NO EXCEPTIONS.

ive heard over stressing is bad for you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

Looks like Matthew agrees with you Darren. What a surprise!!!

However, what you say about Pearl Jam, AiC, Soundgarden, etc. not sounding the same can be said about most types of music. AC/DC and Maiden sound nothing alike, yet they are classed under the same genre.

I mean lets face it, if all bands in a particular genre sounded the same, there would be no point in having so many of them, they might as well just merge and form one big band.

• Advertisement

how do i agree with darren?!?!?!?! what do i agree with him on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Axe

Pretty much everything

actually im the one who says his useless thoughts and antics are annoying and dont go along with the flow, im always saying if darren does something someone else will, i DONT GOD DAMNIT

Maiden and AC DC sound a like. not very, but still. AiC and PJ etc sound NOTHING like each other. they have nothing in common with each other. there is a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

<side note>
    MTV2 played Alice in Chains - Would, today. first time i've seen an AIC vid on MTV2. Hope to see more of this sortta thing!

AIC really rock it in the vid too!
    </side note>

<further side note>
    i seen that. it was cool. seen Would? on before though. i also have all their videos and tape, but oh well.
    also, on music choice: hard rock, Would? Unplugged was on today AND on MTV2 Love boat captain by pearl jam was on a few days ago for the 1st time

Advertisement