Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD ripper

Options
  • 12-01-2003 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Dose anyone know of any DVD rippers. That actually work?
    Freeware preferably

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

http://www.doom9.net should have all your answers.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Smart ripper works and i downloaded some thing called clad dvd the other day trial version and it worked. You can then use power dvd to then watch the riped dvd files but you need a good bit of HD space to do it. I uasually only ever rip 1 film at a time. IF I ever rent a flick from xtra visuin and dont get a chance to watch it i dump it to the hd with smart ripper and watch it later on. I can enjoy the extras as well doing that. But onece i watch it i delete it as theres only ever room for 1 film at a time on my HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Gordian Knot is supposed to be the latest hot thing - I haven't come across anyone saying bad things about it.

I haven't used it as I haven't made a DivX in months (and the methods I used then are probably a little antiquated by now - anyone for Flask?).

You'll find GN at the site mentioned by Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

http://www.vcdhelp.com is the site you'll want

I've been using Smartripper to rip and it works fine.

DVDxCopy is a commercial package that does it all in one - you can split DVD9 discs to 2 x DVD5 blanks and so on. Costs $99 but worth every cent. You'll need a DVD-R drive. I've got a DVD-ROM and DVD-R drive on the same PC and making backups is so easy - great when you rent a movie and don't get a chance to watch it (cos you just discovered something better on TV !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

I've used a few, Smart Ripper seems to like me best !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Dvd Decrypter is small and its damn good i use it for all my ripping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if u add me to ur msn list ill send u one i got works on all dvd's ive tried and its freeware

decass btw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As mentioned, Gordian Knot (a front-end for a collection of other tools) from doom9.net gives fantastic results when ripping your own legal content from DVD.
    ;)

Takes quite a while though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

http://www.clonead.co.uk/

all you need is on this site, clad dvd xp (works on nearly all windows platforms despite the names) to rip the vob files on the dvd, it has the layer filter thing you need, dvd to avi to process the files into the .avi video file(divx 5 format) and a .wav file, and viritual dub to multiplex the two together and convert the sound to mp3 format,

it also has detailed tutorials to do all this too,

ive used it and it all works grand

hope this helps,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

ive have ripped dvds to my hard-drive with smart ripper, but the subtitles are missing, does anyone know how do get subtitles included in the rip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

also, how long should a rip take.

Is it processor dependant, or does it just depend on the speed of the hard drive and dvd?

to tke the vob files off the dvd is drive speed dependent, the faster the dvd the faster the vobs will come off

to convert to a divx avi format is totally processer dependent, loats of ram and a fast hdd would help too,

it also depends on the quality low quality takes less time, but more quality takes longer,

for example, last film i 'backed up' was transformers the movie!
    what a class film!, any way its about an hour and a half, and i made it 700mbs in size, on my pc-2.66ghz, 512 ram and7200rpm hdd, and with no other processes running- took about 1hr 45, which is not too shabby, on say a 1ghz machine it takes about 3-4,i used to have to leave it running overnight on a 450mhz machine, hope these times help

i3rain:

subtitles can be done, ive ripped my fair share of anime i own and it sounds better in japanise, so i had to put in english subtitles, as my japanise aint that good! think its in the tutorials i talked about above,

try that,i havent used smart ripper, but there must be a check box or something there to allow you, or maybe in the soundtrack options,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

I followed a guide to rip dvd's which instructed me to use DVD2AVI.
    i followed the instrutions to create a .d2v file and it only took 10 mins and the file is only 600 kb in size.

Ive manage to rip an avi of the .vob files.
    but i cant rip the audio????
    any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

So i can assume that there is something wrong somewhere when I am only 40% way through ripping the dvd.

I am using smartripper, a brand new 16x lite-on dvd player. the hard drive is slow though, only 5200 rpm.

By the way I started the ripping process before my previous post.

youngnastymna;

which ripper did you use and what film? some films, and only a handful, have some strange prototype copyprotection, it might be one, that happen to me with one film i tried to rip, apocalypse now, i couldnt rip the audio,

try checking if your trying to rip an audio field that doesnt exist, like stero or 5.1 or another language field that isnt on the disk

the_bullman:

that doesnt sound right, maybe its a problem with smart ripper, i havent used that myself, always used claddvd, perhaps the disk cant be read due to dirt or a fingerprint?

although the ripper has to read through the whole dvd and extract only what it neads , ie leaves out the forgin languages trailers ect (unless you do a full rip)it could be scanning these and not copying them so progress would be 40%(of info copied) and not of total disk read;

any luck since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

Ive tried ripping loads of dvd's with easydivx and smart ripper, All with no audio in the result. and when i do i always select to rip in stereo.
    Its all very confuseing

it can be pretty confusing!butstick with it as the results are woth it!

thats strange that none have worked with sound, do they play fine on the pc?can you dovn load and try the programs i mentioned above? all are less then a meg each

Advertisement