Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Network

Options
  • 12-01-2003 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I am new to networking and am trying to connect 2 computers up using Ethernet. 1 runs win98 the other XP they both have ethernet cards installed i have them conneted direcly using Cat 5 (Should i do it like this?)

My problom at this momment is XP says "A NetworkCable is unplugged" but they are conneted

i don't know what the problom is anyhelp any one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Kappar
    I am new to networking and am trying to connect 2 computers up using Ethernet. 1 runs win98 the other XP they both have ethernet cards installed i have them conneted direcly using Cat 5 (Should i do it like this?)

My problom at this momment is XP says "A NetworkCable is unplugged" but they are conneted

i don't know what the problom is anyhelp any one?

Sounds like you need some crossover cable, easy mistake to make, 'specially if you've never networked before.

There's input/output lines in the cable. Normally cat5 is connected to a hub, so a computer sends data via it's output line, whcih the hub receives and sends to the destination comp via it's input line.

If you just have two comps directly connected, then their input lines will be connected, and not input - output as it should be.

Crossover cable has the input and output lines switched. At least I think that's how it works.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Yeah from looking at websites that seems to be what is wrong idon't know what type of cable i bought ccause you guessed it i f'ed the box out but i'm guessing have the wrong type:rolleyes:

What do you think is better

buying the hub and using with the potential for BroadBand (How much are these)

or

Getting a Crossover cable

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hubs are quite expensive, but worth it if you plan expanding your network sometime soon.

Otherwise you can buy another network card for your Broadband connection and allow both comps to use the Internet via the crossover cable. This is easily done (apparently) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Also keep in mind that XP is pretty secure ... and 98 isnt ... you'll need to have the same user and password on both boxes to connect access each others files..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Hubs are getting cheaper and even an 8 port n-way switch can cost under a ton.
    Crossover cables are very easy to make.
    Leave one end of the cable alone, and on the other side crossover 'wires 1 and 3(as in swop their position)
    then 'wires 2 and 6
    Then you need a crimper and a new 45 head to put it all back together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement