Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website idea. Help/many suggestions wanted.

Options
  • 12-01-2003 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is something I've been toying with for a while, but actually want to get off the ground now.

A website based purely on Irish college courses. Ultimately, to contain a list of all colleges and courses in the country. Yes, it does look ominous to me too. I want to be able to give current students of those courses, links to their lecture notes, practicals, suggested reading etc, as well as providing prospective students with a good idea of what to expect in the course.

At the start, I'd probably just do UCD, and add more and more, as I do more and more research in colleges. The entire site would rely heavily on feedback and help from users as well as a team of helpful people who might even like to write some code for me :)

So at the end, what I want is somewhere where students could even upload their own notes to help other students or submit links relevant to their course. Forums would be an obvious inclusion. Who knows what else can be added in from there.....

Anyone think I'd be wasting my time, or have suggestions as to easier ways to go about it? Being such a large site, anyone who offered their time and help would be co-runner of the site as opposed to me just owning the site and these people helping me.

So......

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sounds like a great idea seamus. I'll manage your forums for you if you wish. (I run Foot.ie, mod here and admin the TCM forums.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Any chance of including info on postgrad courses and/or a postgrad forum? One for those of us writing theses would be particularly welcome-it need not necessarily be subject specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Its not the exact same colllegesweb.ie or something like that lists all plc's college courses and so on. Think its out of date by a year

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I know this is the internet - full of mad and crazy things so forgive me for asking Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

count me in for any design or code monkey work you would like help with.

just PM me or e-mail me @ damienpgill@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I be interested in helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Excellent. I couldn't design a webpage for sh1te, but I can code and do some SQL schtuff.
    I have an idea for the basic layout of the thing, so I'll PM away, and get some hosting space and a domain name, set up some forums, and it can be discussed in more detail there, cos I'm assuming it'll be tough to get everyone on IRC at the same time.....

Good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭irishgeo

well any updates. Did you get hosting setup? If you want help setting up the forums please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

yep Seamus

I'd do design work if needed, you can get me at patrickclint@hotmail.com

thanks

paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sounds like an excellent idea Seamus - I'm well willing to help out where I can.

Advertisement