Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Markets suffering from lack of competition?

Options
  • 12-01-2003 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I want to compile a list of Irish markets that suffer from a lack of competition. Former and existing State and Semi-State bodies are prime contenders, so obviously fixed comms and electricity will be included; there's mobile comms (profits are far too high in Ireland); there'll be water if the Government starts charging for it; and possibly the new car market[1]. What else?

Thanks,
    adam

[1] I'm not sure about this. Is high pricing a symptom of a lack of competition; or are Government levies to blame; or is it both?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Any market where supply is restricted by regulation, e.g.

Pharmacy
    Pubs/Off Licences

Any market where supply is restricted by 'self-regulation', e.g.

Barristers
    Hospital Consultants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

1] I'm not sure about this. Is high pricing a symptom of a lack of competition; or are Government levies to blame; or is it both?

Think we have to balme the government here. Believe it or not we have the second or third CHEAPEST pre tax cost on cars in the EU but once VAT and VRT etc are all added on the car becomes a ridiculous price.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Construction and construction materials. Almost all construction is by indiginous companies (there are a few joint-ventures), which isn't the norm internationally. CRH and Kingspan hold huge sections of their markets.

Retail. While there is diversity in the market, there is no real competition.

Water. There is limited competition in this market (group water schemes and water recovery schemes).
    Originally posted by Waylander
    Think we have to balme the government here. Believe it or not we have the second or third CHEAPEST pre tax cost on cars in the EU but once VAT and VRT etc are all added on the car becomes a ridiculous price.
    The reason the pre-tax figure is lower is because of the high tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Solicitors run a closed shop. They're accused of blocking the opening up of thier sector at the moment.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Gah! I had just finished writing a response to the suggestions made here, and started another one that Victor's reply provoked, and the power went in the whole house. For the second time tonight. I hate it when that happens. Anyway, I appreciate the reply's and I'll have a poke at the grey matter tomorrow to see if I can dig some of it out again.

Thanks,
    adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Gah! I had just finished writing a response to the suggestions made here, and started another one that Victor's reply provoked, and the power went in the whole house. For the second time tonight. I hate it when that happens.

Hmmm, would that happen if you had Veridian power?! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl

Seriously though, what happened to deregulation of the ESB?

AFAIK, the only competition faced by ESB is for large users of current like, Intel etc. The domestic market wont be opened up for as long as the ESB can stop it happening.

Mie.

Advertisement