Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Fanning

Options
  • 12-01-2003 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

What do you make of him?

What you think about Dave Fanning 69 votes

I like him
    0% 0 votes
    I dislike him
    65% 45 votes
    I don't care either way about him
    34% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

HeWrecksMyHeadAfterListeningToHimForMoreThanFiveMinutesBecauseHeTalksComplete****eAt300WordsPerMinute. LikeThis.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Vladivar

Well at least he does kiss peoples asses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

like all of 2FM's night time dj's he is boring. i tend to get my radio fix these days from XFM or BBC 6 Music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I find that the majority of the time Dave Fanning, while talking sense and interviewing cool people makes me feel nauseous... this I think this is due to his monotone voice that drives me up the wall... he never seems to take a breath when talking!
    But in fairness, he's never bowed down to the Louis Walsh pop industry. He has excellent taste in music and he is one of the last DJ's that doesn’t play SClub S**t
    But after all that.... TOM DUNNE KICKS HIS ASS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I never really rated him and it appears that rte dont rate him much these days either. His new(ish) 1hr show is a load of tripe. His tv show, 'the last broadcast' is alright - but nothing special.

RTE's biggest asset IMO is Jay Ahern. He has a weekly slot on 2fm Sunday nights from 11 - 2. Check out his previous set lists here.

He plays new and alternative music. Its the best show on the wireless......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I like him alot, knowledgeable man, on more than just music too.
    THough i haven't listened to his show in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I miss 2TV and The Movie Show. He is underrated by RTE. And he was the only good presenter on The Saturday Show a few years back, Of course he got bono to appear on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

He's genuine, I like him!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Elmo
    I miss 2TV and The Movie Show.

Yeah, a shame to see them dropped, especially 2TV.

On another note, has anyone watched Popcorn on TV3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Shane
    He's genuine, I like him!

Genuine??!! he's about as genuine as a Ukrainian $50 note! I thought that was just taken for granted! If ever there was someone that sucks up to Celeb's almost as much a Louis Walsh it's Dave "I love you Bono" Fanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mm.ie

Further qualification is NOT necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

I thought that was just taken for granted! If ever there was someone that sucks up to Celeb's almost as much a Louis Walsh it's Dave "I love you Bono" Fanning.

Maybe your confusing love with respect, Dave is all about the music and always dedicates air play to new Irish bands. He's also the only mainstream presenter to go on air and accuse Boyzone of being unable to sing. Even he knew he was doing so or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Saint Something
    But in fairness, he's never bowed down to the Louis Walsh pop industry. He has excellent taste in music and he is one of the last DJ's that doesn’t play SClub S**t
    But after all that.... TOM DUNNE KICKS HIS ASS!!
    Originally posted by Saint Something
    Genuine??!! he's about as genuine as a Ukrainian $50 note! I thought that was just taken for granted! If ever there was someone that sucks up to Celeb's almost as much a Louis Walsh it's Dave "I love you Bono" Fanning

Wow. You wanna make up your mind there kiddo?

My mind is made up "kiddo"... my mom call's me that...
    Anyway... he HAS never bowed down to the Louis Walsh Pop industry - i.e.: he doesn’t play all the s**t music that man creates over the airwaves and as far a I know he isn't the biggest fan of any of it! But he is an ass licker when it comes to the Celebes he likes... i.e.: Bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

RTE's biggest asset IMO is Jay Ahern. He has a weekly slot on 2fm Sunday nights from 11 - 2. Check out his previous set lists here.

Aye.. but still only manages to play stuff two weeks later than Donal Dineen.

As far as Dave Fanning goes, I never listen to him, not that I don't like the guy, just the music he plays, even being slightly alternative, is still rather ****e.
    Then again his Sunday live shows are sometimes excellent (cos there aint no talking)... I remember he played a whole Sigur Ros live performance one evening, which was pretty sweet, nearly fell asleep at the wheel of the car though ;)

Yea, falling asleep at the wheel can be a bit of a health hazard! For anyone that used to listen to Eamon Dumphy on their way home from work you should beware when listening to his predecessor Mat Cooper - his voice is so mono-tone that I can't listen anymore for fear of nodding off...

Oops... obviously I should have said successor..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

I like him alot. Aparently REM were on his show back in 1983 b4 they were famous, we all know abot U2 and I'm sure there were others. HE mixes up international alternative stuff with a bit of irish. I think he's moved time slots now which is a bollx, and he does seem genuine when the artists arent around!!!

seán

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Tbh he sucks, his new show well current show sucks, his one before that had its one show a year that might possibly be worth listening to the rest was tripe. Its not the music he plays he just so goddamn annoying with his mile a minute speaking and him constantly beating the drum for "good music".

Tom Dunne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I see he is now saying he don't read fiction by way of putting the knife into
    Melanie Verwoerds book, the book has done well for Melanie good luck to her,she probably did more good for Gerry than the rest of his so called friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Living in rural Ireland in the early 80's Dave Fanning brought the world of music into my home. His show played the best of new and alternative music - the kind of stuff you didn't hear on other shows. People are talking about him sucking up to Celebs like Bono - to us over 40s we remember U2 as a struggling band who were delighted to get an interview on the Dave Fanning show.

The Dave Fanning show was like a soundtrack to my teenage years - with my mother asking me how I could study with the radio on and me assuring her I could. Educated my music taste though ;)

Don't listen to him anymore to be honest but he has great taste and a wealth of knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

barney4001 wrote: »
    I see he is now saying he don't read fiction by way of putting the knife into
    Melanie Verwoerds book, the book has done well for Melanie good luck to her,she probably did more good for Gerry than the rest of his so called friends
    Way to bump a near ten year-old thread :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ZOMBBIIIEEEEEE well tis the season,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Wow, some bump! I haven't heard his radio show in ages, don't even know what station he's on these days.

I like him, he really knows his music (and film) and it comes across.

Also, he's a brilliant interviewer, very good at interviewing famous musicians.

RTE needs more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

dave is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭lertsnim

He speaks too quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Meet him before in Carlow and he was locked but seemed sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

flyswatter wrote: »
    Wow, some bump! I haven't heard his radio show in ages, don't even know what station he's on these days.

I like him, he really knows his music (and film) and it comes across.

Also, he's a brilliant interviewer, very good at interviewing famous musicians.

RTE needs more like him.

He's alright but to say hes a good interviewer is somewhat of an exaggeration. I remember seeing Lou Reed get visibly angry & irritated by Dave's insistence on trying to explain the meaning of his lyrics to him, that ended with Lou repeating the word "stupid, stupid, stupid" several times to him . . and RTE left it in. Another time with Crowded House he'd kept on suggesting that they were ripping off their sound from Squeeze! the band were appropriately nonchalant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

He's alright but to say hes a good interviewer is somewhat of an exaggeration. I remember seeing Lou Reed get visibly angry & irritated by Dave's insistence on trying to explain the meaning of his lyrics to him, that ended with Lou repeating the word "stupid, stupid, stupid" several times to him . . and RTE left it in. Another time with Crowded House he'd kept on suggesting that they were ripping off their sound from Squeeze! the band were appropriately nonchalant.

Well, Lou Reed isn't known to be the most agreeable person in fairness.

I've heard some with the Pet Shop Boys and Radiohead I've been impressed with.

Advertisement