Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom carrier systems

Options
  • 13-01-2003 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Evenin ppl.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get eircom to take me off an ol' analogue carrier system, at least onto a digital one, a feckin 14.4 kb p/s :mad: connection isnt of much0 use to me.

Helpppp!!!

thanx from:

b0b:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

14.4k eh :mad:

how far from the exchange and why were they stuck for cable there?

you should post in teh net/comms forum by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 b0bmast3r

well im aboot 6 miles from the nearest exchange, they said they're not enough lines, so they have 4 people on the same line, BUT if they but a digital carrier system onto the line the speed would increase to around 40 kb p/s, because they did it for my uncle that lives like 100 metres away, and it increased his to 40 from 16, and strangely when i asked eircom why they couldnt do the same for me... his carrier system strangely stopped working and the now say that a digital system will not work on his line, after working for over 6 months....damn eircom lines
    b0b.

howdya find out about the mix of analogue and digital pairgains out there?

which region?

M

donegal, up here in the 'h0le'

Much of Donegal is perfect WLL territory

many areas have line of sight to the local town or village where the exchange is or to a Vodafone mast (owned by Eircom)

I must warn you, being a Donegal person, that WLL is a Microwave technology:D but Eircom will not run anything else across bog/granite areas at the moment ....but there will be changes to the universal service obligation ( the USO )in the next 2 or 3 months that will make 14.4k analogue carrier lines illegal and that will get rid of some of the shoddier pairgains used to provide carrier lines as well.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

join the club i am about 2.5 miles from the exchange and normally get 21.6k or 24k (unless i use eshat then i get 9.6k) i have complained to everyone i can think of but there seems no way to get round the fact that there is no minimum data service requirement.
    the line even got ripped down by a digger a month ago and that didn't improve the situation, also don't bother with ISDN in Donegal town as there is no room lefty at the exchange, funny how the mountcharles exchange got upgraded within weeks after mary coughlan became a minister though, her house is on that exchange.
    if you find a way of improving your service let me know

South Donegal being the exception to the perfect WLL territory theory

Too many Drumlins and Moraines, west and north are a different kettle of fish

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Stupid ice age! ;)

Yup, up here in the north everyone things were all rednecks, who cant turn on a computer, which makes life hell for those of us who wish to live in the REAL ice age.....
    Ive been talking to a mate last night and he thinks that the carrier systems are only temporary, but its been up for the last 10 years ffs.

Im a hermit, livin in a h0le.

b0b

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

does eircoms WLL tech have much capacity? WLL can mean anything that is a wireless alternative to a copper local loop AFAIK. Is it one of these 26Ghz liscences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

last i heard was that if there was No alternative eircom would consider WLL for the local loop but i haven't heard of any put in, the only people i have heard offered it was ta a cost of 5k or so installation so they didn't bother

5K?? Bah, i dont think id be able to raise that kind of cash to get WLL installed:confused:

Im a Hermit Livin in a hole
    b0b

5k is also the cost of installing 10 poles.

5k, by an unusual logical corollary to the above, is the cost of re-installing 10 poles as well.

10 years in the wilds of Donegal can fairly weather a pole :D

10 years is enough to weather anything in donegal............:p
    as well as a person's brain :confused:

Im a hermit living in a hole
    b0b

Advertisement