Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt ?

Options
  • 13-01-2003 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

How is VRT calculated ? I want to know how much it would cost to import a car from the UK.

Cheers

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I apologise if the mods find this inappropriate and please move/delete if necessary!!!!

Ondafly-Remember that VRT is also calculated on the condition of the vehicle in question.
    What people do to lessen the VRT payable is to go to the UK,buy a car,remove all the lamps,glass,door trims etc and bring them back to Ireland separately from the car.Then you bring the vehicle to the VRT office where its checked out for condition/VRT payable and due to the condition of the car the VRT is a lot less than would be expected.
    This goes on a lot more than people think and Ive even done it myself a couple of times.Tis just a way of saving yourself a few Euro and keeping it in your pocket as opposed to the governments.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

That or buy a kit car and build it over ere. VRT exempt cos twasn't built outside the country!! Brilliant. Caterham Fireblade here I come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

@Samson - cheers for the links - i never have much luck searching through government sites

@Hellrazer - interesting idea !

@Mecury_Tilt - I do believe thats the first post of yours I've read, that hasn't been insane ;)

Car in question folks, is an Integra Type R - only approx 48 Irish spec ones available in ireland, not many owners want to sell! - and are going for around €20K - whereas last week, a 98 Integra type R sold in the UK for 6,500GBP - €10K

come the summer time we'll see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Obviously well worth importing then, even with the VRT.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    hmmm are you sure you are not thinking about the "commercial" VRT thing. You pay a lot less VRT on a commercial vehicle. Thats why they remove the back seats etc on 4 * 4's.

No if you`re willing to take the chance and know what you`re doing you can cut the VRT in half.
    As Ive said before the VRT is calculated on the condition of the car so the inspector looks at the car and sees how "bad";) a condition its in and adjusts the VRT to suit the cars condition.Then you get home put back in all the parts you removed and your cars back to normal.
    Ive known people to even remove the seats to reduce the VRT and even the dash,wheels,hubs etc.The VRT on commercial vehicles is a standard rate-I think its 50 euro regardless of the vehicle.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Don1: are you sure about that?

I was under that impression too, but a friends father is a tax consultant and he is of the opinion that all cars brought into the country are subject to VRT whether they are fully built or not.

Also, I don't think Caterham supply the fireblade-engined seven as a kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

So , I could bring in a Ford Transit van for €50 while it would cost considerably more to bring in a wee Ford Fiesta van ???

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tinofapples
    So , I could bring in a Ford Transit van for €50 while it would cost considerably more to bring in a wee Ford Fiesta van ???

If the transit and fiesta were both considered commercials for Vrt purposes then the VRT is identical on the two vehicles.ie €50 I think.

Advertisement