Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps2 or xbox???

Options
  • 13-01-2003 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭

have a feelin this one is gonna split everyone down the middle, but gotta ask anyway.......

what do people think will be the best console to have this year??

xbox or ps2, I've owned and loved my ps2 since the day it was released but have to say the xbox has been getting my attention of late and am considering trading in my ps2 for one (especially when I see all the offers at the moment)

opinions????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I have both , and if you need a reason to get an xbox , let it be Halo .... what a game !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Don’t trade in your PS2 for an Xbox! (PS2 is still better games wise)

save up some money and buy an Xbox if you want.

more and more people are buying all three consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its obvious the Xbox is more powerful.
    Also it has a lot of pc type games, (so if u have a pc you might not need an xbox!).

The PS2 has a load more games to choose from, including some very good budget games. Also th fact that it plays dvd's out f the box, is a good plus. Also if you owned a ps1, all your games were compatable, which was a plus too.

Cause i'm a parent, i dont fancy paying €60+ smackers a go, for each game, so the budget games on the ps2 is a big plus 4 me. (Recently got Jak'n Dexter, and Crash Bandicoot, for about what you'd pay for 1 xbox game.

At the end of the day your comparing a newer console with one thats a little older. Most people if they were buying 2day would probably get an Xbox, but im very happy with my ps2. T'was a great buy.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have both mate and the XBOX blows the PS2 away in all depts get it chiped and you can run backups connect it to your PC use it to play divx, mp3 everything the dvd playback is way better than PS2. And the winner is linux running on the XBOX how cool is that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

thats exactly what I'm interested tcp/ip....can you send me a site or something to show me how you went about getting that done??

• Advertisement

cheers lads....think I'll keep the ps2, (would find it hard to part with it anyway) and buy an xbox. Next question, anyone have any horror stories with them (e.g. I'm on my third ps2 as the first two had dodgy lasers which burned the cd's, thankfully I got them replaced under warranty)...also whats the best offer in dublin at the mo (I saw smyths had a deal for an xbox with 5 games for €350 I think, can anyone confirm / deny)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I kept my PS2 as well, but I've got to admit it's gathering dust these days..the XBox just rocks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

so is the xbox much better than the cube? The cube controllers are lame but the xbox ones feel way too chunky. mind u the cordless joypad for the cube is class. but gamewise is the xbox better?

gamewise the PS2 is currently the best out of the three

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

The Ps2 is better value for money in my opinion as you get a much wider choice of games when you purchase the console.
    There are literally hundreds to choose from whereas the xbox hasn't that many.
    There's also the platinum range with ps2.

At the end of the day the XBOX is just so versitle there is more games for the PS2 no doubt but there mostly crap bar the odd few.

XBOX rules my PS2 is a door stop now

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    there is more games for the PS2 no doubt but there mostly crap bar the odd few.

that applyes to the Xbox more than the PS2

at the end of the day the PS2 has a wider choice of games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

We'll see Xbox 2 before PS3. Guaranteed.

Nintendo in the meanwhile will continue to potter on in a little world of their own, making about six astonishingly good games a year which sell by the bucketload to their fanbase and raking in bags of money in the process. They're an amazing company really - there's simply nothing Sony or Microsoft could do which would prevent Nintendo from making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Nintendo for ever baby !

I have a ps2 .
    Vice city
    FFX
    Tekken 4

got load of games off friends

AND NOW MY PS2 is Literally gathering dust . theres loads of dust on it , i only watch dvds on it now and then .
    I should have gotten an x box , but i thought the street fighter series wont be out for it , but i was wrong , although x box doesnt really have many games , but graphics look good .

i still dont know which is better , if u r rich buy them both and throw in the cube aswell .

I think there should be a poll here to be honest.

Originally posted by Placebo
    I think there should be a poll here to be honest.

I think it was done before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

brother got ps2 for xmas and i supported the choice, ffX and all that, ps2 has got better range, and even though xbox is technically the better console, so was the n64 over the ps1 and that still did a hell of a lot better

another question, does the xbox have an optical out like the ps2, cos I would want to hook it up to an amp

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Where can you get the Xbox chipped and how much does it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

The XBox does support digital optical out. You have to buy certain video cables which have optical out connectors for 5.1 surround sound.

I'm an X-Box owner (thanks to Santa Claus/Girlfriend) and I'm absolutely delighted with the console. Now I'm not a hardcore gamer like a lot of the guys here, so maybe my expectations are lower. However, I've loved every game that I have played on the XBox thus far (and I'm the kind of cheapskate who'll only buy preowned games).

I was playing Colin McRae Rally 3 on a friend's PS2 at the weekend and I was appalled at how it measured up to Rallisport Challenge on my beloved X-Box. I appreciate I'm not comparing like with like, but I don't have CMR3 for my XBox. Where CMR3 on the PS2 was gaudy and scrappy looking, Rallisport on my box is lush and realistic. And whilst we had a hoot on the Playstation trying to beat each others times, the gameplay in Rallisport Challenge on my box is every bit its equal.

I even found the PS2 controller to be inferior to my hulking XBox controller (maybe because I have big hands?)

To summarise all this waffle- I agonised over whether the XBox was the right choice (I adore Sony and their products) but having played the XBox I am absolutely convinced that I have made the correct choice.

P.S. This is only one man's opinion! The only way to make up your mind is to have a go on a 'box (or a cube) yourself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Games and value for money-wise PS2 would be first with the Gamecube second and xbox dead last. I don't think that splinter cell and halo on their own are a good enough reason to get an Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

XBox - hands down.

Who's dragging Gamecube into this conversation :P sheesh - talk about flogging a dead donkey - it isn't even in the subject ;).*

*= teasing.

It really all depends on what genre of gaming you're into.

Though I'd say the majority of hardcore gamers I know are into XBox - whereas most mainstream players enjoy PS2.

Er, I'm not sure that the dictionary definition of a "hardcore gamer" would necessarily be "One who enjoys middle of the road FPS games (Halo) but has no desire to play GTA:Vice City, Final Fantasy X, Jak & Daxter etc."

:)

Nowhere near my definition either...

What I mean is - the majority of PS2 owners I know are generally the people who play games passively, buy the occasional game, rent quite a bit, ask people like me for opinions (poor things...), and really just follow the crowd in some respects.

A lot of XBox owners I know take it quite competitively, will always have a new game anytime you see them, have their own opinions, keep up with gaming news and such.

These are how the people I know divide broadly speaking (I'm taking about 40 people and dividing them rather bluntly - obviously there are PLENTY of mainstream gamers in Camp XBox and quuuuuite a few hardcore players in the PS2 camp.)

Meanwhile, Gamecube owners seem to be people who love games and love to play games. They play what they like, whatever is fun really. Which is probably the way things should be - but somewhere between Sega Mega Drive and PSX we ended up with some type of X-Factor getting into gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

whereas the ps2 has reams of killer apps and the xbox has halo(coming to the pc soon) and splinter cell(coming to everything else next month). personally i would rather play metal gear solid 2, silent hill 2, final fantasy x, gran turismo 3, gran theft auto 3, vice city, kingdom hearts and when they appear xenosaga, final fantasy x-2, suikoden 3, breath of fire v and wild arms 3. i like my ps2.

metal gear solid 2, silent hill 2, final fantasy x, gran turismo 3, gran theft auto 3, vice city, kingdom hearts and when they appear xenosaga, final fantasy x-2, suikoden 3, breath of fire v and wild arms 3. i like my ps2.

Look at all those sequels...

XBox spawns originality - something that is lacking on the PS2. Much like Simpsons after 300 episodes, and Graham Norton after three years of innuendo - line-ups become stale, boring and stangent. PS2 is an example of this - PS3 will probably see things get slowly worse until the gaming industry witnesses another shake up. One hopes.

Okay, NOW you're talking utter sh1te. Which is a shame, your post just before that one was really very good :)

Xbox does NOT "spawn originality". Look at Halo, the best selling title on the system and little more than a well-polished collection of FPS cliches. Look at Splinter Cell - in many places a shameless rip-off of Metal Gear Solid and Thief, albeit a damn good one.

Project Gotham Racing? It's MSR version 1.5.

Dead or Alive 3? Dead or Alive 2 with pretty graphics.

Panzer Dragoon ORTA? Er, it's bloody nice, but it's Panzer Dragoon updated.

Please, show me the innovation that I'm missing!

Meanwhile the PS2 has a stack of revolutionary or evolutionary titles like ICO, Jak & Daxter, Rez, FFX, GTA3...

Sequels don't mean a lack of originality, and the only people arguing that line are either stupid - or vaguely bitter that their keenly defended console of choice can't attract any of the big franchises. GTA3 was a breath of fresh air into the gaming world - despite being a second sequel. Final Fantasy X is the ninth sequel in a series, but had the balls to utterly rip up many of the previously held rules of Japanese RPGs.

Anyone claiming that games on the PlayStation 2 are "stagnant" is talking through their fundamental orifice.

By the way, aren't most of the really highly anticipated Xbox titles at the moment sequels? You know, Project Gotham Racing 2, Halo 2, Panzer Dragoon ORTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Innovation is good but when the majority of this "innovation" results in terrible games i would rather stick with what works.

anyway your forgeting that the xbox is evil and is part of bill gates plot to take over the word with sub-par games and shoddy operting systems :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    Innovation is good but when the majority of this "innovation" results in terrible games i would rather stick with what works.

There's a large difference between evolutionary and revolutionary - sadly it's better to be evolutionary and average than to be revolutionary and godawful, I concede.

anyway your forgeting that the xbox is evil and is part of bill gates plot to take over the word with sub-par games and shoddy operting systems :)

This is true - in the end it'll be a three way battle with Bill Gates controlling an XBox, Miyamoto in a Megaton Robot and any number of Sony execs controlling a giant version of the Aibo Robot dog... eeeeeeeevil.

Advertisement