Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturers

• 13-01-2003 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

First day back today. Dragged myself out of bed at 7.00am and staggered into my first lecture at 9.05.

But the lecturer didn't show. (very small class and only 10 or so were there.) We sat around for a while and then dispersed. I was annoyed that I had gotten up so early for nothing.

Then second lecture at 11. More people there. WE sat around again. No show. Eventually, another lecturer came in and said she was supposed to be in the room and we got turfed out. What a fuppin waste of a day.

it's always happening here though (DIT Aungier ST)

Some lecturers are great and always show up but some just swanny off and don't arrive and don't tell us beforehand. Far too lax for my liking.

Argh

Roxy

Roxy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'm 5 years in UCD now and it happens way too often for my liking too. Generally there's no advance notice of a lecturers absence or ironically the notice appears days after the event.

In UCD, lecturers are suppossed to use the "Announcements" section of the Online Classes system, but I dont think I've ever seen an advance notice of a cancellation up there, despite them perhaps knowing well in advance they would not be able to attend.

I always think to myself, why dont the universities set up online bulletin baords where lecturers and course admins could put up notices or at least a mailing list for their classes.

Surely we are beyond the golden age of printing (usualy handwriting actaully) a notice and placing it in some back of beyond notice board that gets minimal foot traffic.

--
    Much in aggreement with you Roxy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

it happened to us this morning too (gmit software dev)

we all struggled to get up for the 9am Compter Technology lecture, we were supposedly starting Unix, and the lecturer just didn't show.

Poor form tbh :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

i wish it happen to me today. All the bloody lecturers were in and I had a full days college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

It happens all to often around here (ITC). Last semester we lost about 10 math (and more) lectures because of missed fridays, and meetings and so on. In total we have missed a lot, I never though that we would ever miss so much. I figured that there would be some time lost be this amount is way to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It happened down here (UL) post Christmas too. Bit annoying as it can sometimes take me most of an hour to drive out. I ended up not bothering to go out unless something had been pre-arranged before the holidays - I gather from my fellow victims that I missed nothing (though they turned up to everything that wasn't on)

I've a simple solution to this annoyance as I'm not going to go through it next year. Quick word in the ear of the head of department. It's not really the fault of the lecturers down here - it's a communication gap that needs to be sorted. I'll just have to get out of her office before she pronounces me the new class rep (she's already tried that line twice, I had enough of (dis)organised student politics the first time around).

See if your class rep (if you have one) or some other student who doesn't mind breezing into the department head/SU/college president office* (my class appears to have only one of these masochistic people) can talk to someone and tell them that it's bloody annoying (in the nicest possible "yes sure, coffee please - four sugars" sort of way of course).

*Many college debaters will have heard the legend of the person who, on arriving to a college without knowing where a competitive debate was on, would just call into the uni president's office and get his staff to sort it out. That was me - visiting TCD, UCD, UCC, Maynooth & Kings Inns over three years. UCC has the nicest office & because it's hard to find anything there, got visited thre years on the trot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I'm in TCD, not a single lecturer has missed a class since the beginning of term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Friday, 10am, exph1001: lecturer in since 7.45, engrossed in research(or so he said), completely forgets about 1st year class(having paper fight in thA).
    God bless UCD.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wish my lecturers in UCD would be absent more often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

One of the only advantages of distance learning.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

I'm in Tallaght IT and the only lecturer I have that has either missed a day or two is the pregnant one. I think shes gone now, she shoudln't be back for semester two, but hasn't affected any of my classes yet. For me if a lecturer is out we usually have another one to stand in and teach us.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Man U Babe, Go next door and see the mess we've made of Theatre B. God bless 1st Eng :D

Engineers? pah! 1st mathsci 4 eva!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

My lecturers missed a few lectures so i stopped going. Works out quite well (...Until exam time).

DIT Aungier St btw and we have one or two lecturers in the Bus Faculty who are famous for not bothering to come in.

boring lecturers are even worse ..... at least you can throw planes if they don't bother coming but in most cases you can't peg an aeroplane at 'em if they're boring you to sleep......

didn't stop us tho' with a certain physics lecturer we had at the start of the year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Originally posted by ballooba
    My lecturers missed a few lectures so i stopped going. Works out quite well (...Until exam time).

DIT Aungier St btw and we have one or two lecturers in the Bus Faculty who are famous for not bothering to come in.

Yikes, it's bad in business too?? I'm in the applied arts faculty and I some of them are a holy show. The majority are okay, in that they turn up. Their ability to lecture is another debate entirely. But at least they manage to get as far as the room. Unlike some of their colleagues who are just making it look bad for everybody.

Roxy

Originally posted by Red Alert
    didn't stop us tho' with a certain physics lecturer we had at the start of the year :D

And who would that be, pray tell?
    If it was Lorraine Hanlon, she deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

you think you have it bad. i am in tippinst and i am in first year and i think if i had half of the classes i was supposed to have i would be ok but one lecturer ****ed off until after christmas and we have only started that module since after christmas. half the lecturers dont turn up because of traffic brtween the two town where the colleges are built. it really is terrible and i would not recommend it to anyone as a college. i think i will be in ul next year.
    anyone that goes to ul then i will see you then.

Originally posted by Man U babe
    And who would that be, pray tell?
    If it was Lorraine Hanlon, she deserved it.

Nope, twas ann breslin - probably the worst physicist in the world.... snore

Originally posted by Red Alert
    Nope, twas ann breslin - probably the worst physicist in the world.... snore

Is it just me or are the whole UCD physics department a bunch of boring old farts?
    Ditto CS.

The CS department are a joke: we only have CS lectures until the end of the 1st semester so on the last day he sends around this questionnaire on what we thought of the lectures.

The best one was: "Did the lecturer inspire you?" .... my reply: "yes he did, he inspired me never ever to do computer science" :D

C'mon in next door to our thermodynamics lecture on wednesdays - the bloke is a complete joke and you can't hear what he says half the time with all the noise :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Its official - UCD CS sucks arse.

Fortunately I was able to drop it after 1st year :)

{

main static JAVA_IS_BENT()

}

Advertisement