Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Sound card connections

Options
  • 13-01-2003 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I recently got a new Dell PC with a 5.1 Soundblaster. Unfortunately with all the connecitons on the card for the various speakers they neglected to include a line-out port or something similar. My speakers also don't have a headphone socket on them (not complaining though, great sound from them). What I want is some sort of adaptor that will split the signal going to the speakers into two so that the same thing will go to my headphones. As it stands I have to pull out my PC and unplug the speakers to plug in the headphones, and vice-versa. Anybody know what one of these adaptors would be called and where I could get one (I tried peats but they didn't seem to have one)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most soundcards have only one audio line out, which is why many desktop speakers have a phones socket.

http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/magnify/HW_18155.GIF
    is this what you want?

or do you mean this-
    http://www.musicvillageschools.co.uk/mvproduct.asp?productid=3548

Either should be availible in any decent audio shop, even Peats!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

I used a simple workaround.... a 1 metre extension cable for the audio out on my crappy no-name soundcard. Now I can switch between headphones, speaker and sound for tv-out without moving my lazy ass at all. you can get it from peats, make sure its stereo. I even have a second extension for my microhone so my mic headset can be attached without a hernia.

edit: Does a splitter not degrade the audio a bit? /edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

The signal needed to power headphones is significantly different than that used to power the line-in connection to your speaker system. I'm not sure about the soundblaster but the aureal-based card i have detects whether you've plugged in headphones or connected it to the line-in of a powered speaker system. This is just a guess, but if you do get one of those splitters i'd recommend not having both headphones & speakers plugged in at once. The soundblaster will either output line-level signal to your headphones & speakers, in which case the headphones will be fairly quiet, or more likely the soundblaster will output headphone-level signals to your headphones & speakers, then the sound out of your speakes may sound all distorted etc.

Advertisement