Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Telecom 2B (Atlantic Bird 3)

• 13-01-2003 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought an 80cm satellite dish, cable, analogue receiver etc. on my last trip to France (all for around €60). Have no satellite experience but got my dish up yesterday and got the Astra Satellite (German stations, CNN, CNBC…) without any problem. Today, spent the whole day trying to get Telecom 2B (I believe it is now called Atlantic Bird 3) to get the analogue French (TF1, F2, F3, F5 M6 and TV5) stations and haven’t had any luck.

Any advice?

Jer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Phone Tony :)

5w is difficult to find because there's no strong satellites near it. If you can pick up Astra (19e) you should be able to work out how much to move it - 24 degrees to the right. Then adjust the elevation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man

5w is difficult to find because there's no strong satellites near it.

Well thats not entirely true...
    I mean 16E is very difficult to nail and yet you have two Nuclear power stations @ 13 and 19E.

Your difficulty is that you are going for Analogue stations in a Digital era. A Digital system may be hard to install but given your desires then i would say the Analogue is harder...so you have no rough guide.

Although most would give their vote to Tony i have to say keep trying, as you have an excellent chance getting this nailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Also remember that thre French terrestial channels broadcast in SECAM colour so unless your TV can handle this your picture will be in black & white. Also I've been told that TV5 is no longer availbe on 5W, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by chernobyl

say keep trying, as you have an excellent chance getting this nailed.

I agree it just takes time , theres no reason you cannot get it if you got astra. There are no buildings or trees in the way I presume?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

where are U? I would say 80cm dish is too small for reliable reception i.e when it rains i.e. most of the time! I have a 1m dish and still can get some sparklies in very heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Well thats not entirely true...
    I mean 16E is very difficult to nail and yet you have two Nuclear power stations @ 13 and 19E.

I would have thought 16e would be easier to find, since you should be able to get 13e and 19e fairly easily - so 16e should be half way between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I wish it were that easy.
    13/19E provide ample signal and huge overflows and thats the problem.

You want to get 16E but you are going to gather a huge amount of signal both from 13/19 which would otherwise be good but in this situation is nothing but noise.

Im not kidding, you have to be pin point kinda accurate for 16E, it amazes me everytime that a Diseqc system still gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. Will try again tomorow if the weather is okay though the German stations aren't too bad :D.
    where are U? I would say 80cm dish is too small for reliable reception i.e when it rains i.e. most of the time! I have a 1m dish and still can get some sparklies in very heavy rain.

I am down in Kerry. I recall that when Lidl/Aldi were selling an 80cm dish, they claimed it was fine for the French stations so that didn't particularly worry me.

Asked in a TV shop selling satellite dishes yesterday. Guy honestly seemed clueless.

Thanks again.

Jer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

You probably need a 1 m dish for reliable reception you are futher south than me but also west if you know what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JZF

Hello,

You should be able to pick up some sort of signal with 80cm on AB3, even in Kerry. Here's AB3 footprint : http://www.eutelsat.com/satellites/5wab3_popd.html

Make sure your receiver and LNb are set to get channel frequencies over 12,500 ghz. Good luck.

Bonsoir

• Advertisement
Advertisement