Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console gaming

Options
  • 15-09-2000 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Does anyone here actually play on consoles? And more importantly, how do you feel about Dreamcast players being able to mix in PC games such as Quake 3 and Dreamcast?

Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I have a stack (literally) of consoles. My DC is on top of my Saturn, my N64 is on top of my SNES which is on top of my NES, my GB is.... you get the idea. I finally got the time to pick up Blast Corps for N64 yesterday, one of the classics imo. And I still play my NES btw...

I think the idea of Q3 on a DC is boll0x as the modem is hopeless. Judging by the speed it's probably a Win(CE)modem tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Lets be honest here , playing quake or anything online with a modem is crap.
    I used to play quakeworld religiously in college but its utter sh1te over a modem.
    The only playable games on modem are racing (just) and strategy games like starcraft.

Until we get unlimited bandwidth , i can never see online gaming being that good. I'll stick to playing with ppl in the same room on the same machine for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

broadband for dc - comin soon

Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

And capabilities to actually use broadband, tba (eta December 12th 2597 - Eircom shares will reach floatation price once again)

biggrin.gif

Jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Much like sico, I've had most consoles, but unlike sico I get rid of them when something better comes along smile.gif
    I've still got a Megadrive in the attic, but mostly I stick to PSX, DC, N64, PC.

As for console peeps playing with PC peeps, I don't see the harm really... the DC runs on some flavor of Windowze and has a keyboard & mouse anyway so the DC is just like a cut-down PC.

moo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa:
    so the DC is just like a cut-down PC.
    so what does that make the x-box?

Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - 8

A standardized PC.

X-Box will probably not run 3rd party games, they'll probably ask for a part of the games companies in order for them to develop.

And they are by no means anti-competitive

Jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Just letting you know, PC games on consoles, and first person shooters on consoles don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Hes right you know.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , " My son , sometimes you talk a lot of ****. Knock it off." Before I could speak in walks Christopher Lloyd with a time machine under his arm and just then...it started to get weird...

• Advertisement

I agree, C&C on the Playstation?

The only good shooters are ones designed for consoles, such as Perfect Dark or Goldeneye.

Jamie

That's funny, I seem to remember enjoying Goldeneye a lot. Ah well, I must have been dreaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Or Maken-X, which is a good laugh smile.gif

Timesplitters looks OK-ish, although not exactly spectacular...

Goldeneye and PD are the exception, rather than the rule. And thats coz they were built for consoles.

Jamie

Advertisement