Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big dogs

Options
  • 14-01-2003 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

We have two labraodrs at the mo and have had em 4 a while. My one is 9 and "The Baby" is 7. I've just sadly been informed that we aint gettin anymore big dogs after these ones croak!
    After numerous and varied protests the dictators (parents) have not budged from their position..... B*STARDS !!

They want to go back to "Rat" Russells. Fine they are a fun pet but to replace a lab with one? Come on! Cureses to downsising!
    Who knows, next it could be "We've dcided to change the TV to a portable. They're so much neater!"

Okay so I know people are questiioning the point of this thread but it was just buggin me and I felt like havin a bit of a rant.
    Did this happen to anybody else?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive always liked big dogs too.And I always had big dogs since I was small,labs,great dane,German shepard and now I have my Sam.
    The only small dog Ive ever liked was the West Highland.Its probably the cutest of the lot.
    Small dogs always remind me of the little old woman with her Yorkie dressed in the most ridiculous looking tartan "coat".
    And at the minute my little brother has also been told to get a small dog(he still lives at home)so I told him to get a Mongrel from a shelter that looks small now but could grom into a monster.Might get away with it like that
    ;););)

Feel free to rant anytime as its quiet here lately!!!!!!!!Might start a big dog versus small dog argument!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I love big dogs too, my favourite dog of all is the Newfoundland...
    also love saints, retrievers.... when its about dogs, size DOES matter! :p
    i frequent lots of newfoundland forums and the general consensus is that you "upgrade" to a bigger dog, haha!
    having said that, I have a jack russell myself and he is fantastic.. the way to getting a big dog might be to go to the pound and pick the puppy with the biggest paws, that happened us, we picked up this black fluffy thing and it turned out to be huge, think she is a cross between a collie and a retriever.. so my folks were fooled :D

I understand your pain totally about not being allowed a big dog! id love a kitten but the mammy is not too happy about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Ok so big dogs are great!! BUT & it is a big BUT!!! We have 1 lab, 1 lab x newfoundland, 1 setter x borzois, 2 english setters & 3 terriers!

The 3 big dogs were all found dumped! Teddy the Newfie x is lovely! except he thinks he's a lap dog! & spends all day chasing tennis balls! he usually has 3 in his mouth at the same time!! FUN FUN FUN!!! but bloody messy!!

8 dogs I must be mad...................No I am mad!!!! LOL :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 randys pal

Yeh, i luv big dogs. I had an old english sheepdog(dats a dulux dog 4 those of ya who dont know!)she died though, just b4 xmas:(
    I think the bigger the better!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Hmm Big dogs v Small dogs argument......
    One of my Labradors and the "Rat" Russell fight all the time and in most cases the squirt wins!! Still prefer the big ones though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

can't stand small dogs myself.
    i've seen a couple of nice ones, but for the most part they're just small yappy rats.
    tbh i'd rather have no dog than have a terrier.
    my dog down home is by far the coolest dog i've ever known... a mad combination of red setter, lab, spaniel & god knows what else.
    in short big mongrel pooches rule, small yappy rats don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

This is a travesty of justice.. The ratemypooch.com top 10, most of them are rats!

ratemypooch top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i think i'd prefer small dogs. we own medium sized dogs, and i love them....but i like animals i can pick up and hug. probably why i prefer cats. also like animals with nice fur...another reason why i rpobably prefer cats, dog hairs are so coarse. (oh but i wouldnt change mine for all the world)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I prefer larger dogs, they're more fun to walk and play with. I have a norwegian elkhound and she is far more more fun than a small dog.
    She has a great personality and even though she is quite big and exicitable she is sooo gentle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Jack Russels can sit on your lap in the car comfortably. They eat less than big dogs. They take up less space, can sleep on your bed. They require less exercise (I think). If you go on holidays they're easier for your neighbour to mind. They live longer. They don't shed a lot of hair. They can fit through a cat flap. They don't need to be groomed. They don't hurt you when they jump on you from above or something (it happens).

However, because of their sneaky terrier personalities I would also prefer a big dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Illkillya
    Jack Russels can sit on your lap in the car comfortably. They eat less than big dogs. They take up less space, can sleep on your bed. They require less exercise (I think). If you go on holidays they're easier for your neighbour to mind. They live longer. They don't shed a lot of hair. They can fit through a cat flap. They don't need to be groomed. They don't hurt you when they jump on you from above or something (it happens).

However, because of their sneaky terrier personalities I would also prefer a big dog.

:)
    My large dog can't sit on my lap, she eats a lot, takes up a lot of space, she doesn't particularily like sleeping indoors, she needs a load of exercise, I don't think my neighbours would look after her for me if I asked cos she is a bit scary if you don't know better, she's nearly 6 and hopefully she has a long life to look forward to, she sheds all over the garden, no chance with the cat flap, she needs a lot of work with the comb when she is shedding and she does jump all over me!
    Still though, she is irreplaceable and all the more fun cos she's big and playful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i think i'd prefer small dogs. we own medium sized dogs, and i love them....but i like animals i can pick up and hug. probably why i prefer cats. also like animals with nice fur...another reason why i rpobably prefer cats, dog hairs are so coarse. (oh but i wouldnt change mine for all the world)
    Ah but if your gonna hug something you don't want to be afraid that you could crush it!! And that fur thing? You aint seen soft till you've seen my black lab when in top form...silk. So shiny in fact that when she sits on the tiles in the kitchen she slides backwards until she pushes up against something!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

If you want a small 4 legged animal I would suggest a cat!

I'm all for big dogs... not into those ankle biters...

:p

Advertisement