Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

overpaid?

• 14-01-2003 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Here's a bleeding obvious article, and somewhat irresponsible:

http://www.football365.co.uk/All_News/Premiership_News/story_53714.shtml

I know that Serie A used to be the place for top wages, until a lot of the clubs started to teeter on the brink of financial instability - but what about La Liga, is that league not the biggest paymaster these days?

And what's Van Nistleroy on a week anyway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

I've no idea what Van Nistleroy is on, but I was watching Dream Team last Sunday, and Fletcher said that hes on £25k/week!! :eek: ;)

Hes barely scored a handfull of goals this season! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

That's bloody outrageous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Fletch is on 25 g's ! Bloody hell, wonder what Rodrigues was on before he done a legger ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Ah sure Rodrigues was the player-manager then, so he was probably paying himself a few quid alright! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

from what i can remeber i think the wages at Man u are :

Beckham 120k (that includes 20k for image rites)

Keane 100k

scholes 70k

Veron (all 50k)
    Van nistellrooy
    giggs
    Barthez
    Ferdinand
    G Neville

Soljskar (sp) (all 35k)
    P Neville
    N Butt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

La Liga is nothing like the biggest payer in Europe - e.g. Roy Makaay at Deportivo gets in the order of 20 grand a week, he'd be on twice that in the Premiership no bother.

The Premiership has some players on ridiculous wages e.g. Winston Bogarde at Chelsea, hasn't played a first team game in 18 months but gets 40 grand a week, Bosnich on 40 grand a week (until he got sacked) for much the same thing.

And who could forget Marcelino, 15 grand a week for four years, total appearances for Newcastle in that time: 22. He was out for three months with a sore finger at one stage :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Only in England do footballers pay tax.

Ronaldo gets 80k a week tax free and a house

kdjaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

It is not that they do not pay tax, it is that they negotiate a net pay whereas in England they negotiate gross salary. So after tax Ronaldo probably outearns the Keanos and Bechams. Chelsea were always a bit mad about paying wages, ever since Hoddle took over and started drafting in the foreign legion so they would not be a fair example of premiership wages. United and Arsenal can afford the high wages as they consistently win tournaments. I am sure that Real and Barca salaries, and AC Milans and Romas salaries would not differ too much.

Advertisement