Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scorn not my simplicity.

Options
  • 14-01-2003 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

A latest communication from The Golden Maverick follows...

Here is a playlist from my most recent show. Have a read through and any criticism is welcome (sure it'll be like shootin' ducks in a barrel i hear you all say). Anyhow it's lifted straight from another site so i hope the format is legible.

The GM
    PowerFM
    Sundays, Noon to 3:00pm

"Ay up guys and gals,

Had a lovely day yesterday. I was a bit slow to start as i was at a Dickie Rock gig on Saturday night (i'm serious). The day got better as Bohs won the league and then Arsenal hammered the Brummies 4-0. Sure what more could you ask for. anyhow, thanks for the text messages and phonecalls, it's a wonder i get time to play the music. Here is the playlist from yesterday, i hope you enjoyed the show if you were listening in. Spare a thought for The Brothers Gibb who lost their brother Maurice yesterday. You can expect a tune in tribute to him on next Sundays show between 12 and 3pm GMT.

The GM

1 Fire – Lotek – This tune is from one of the new breed of London hip hop artists that are currently making a name for themselves. They are part of the Big Dada stable that includes Roots Manuva, Ty and Shadowless amongst others.

2 They reminisce over you (TROY) – Pete Rock & CL Smooth – This is taken from the all time hip hop chill album ‘Mecca and The Soul Brother’. If you ain’t got this get your hands on it quick, it’s up there with stuff from De la Soul and A Tribe called Quest.

3 Candy Girl – New Edition – This features the talents of Bobby Brown in his pre-pubescent years. New Edition were one of those formulated boy bands that had a number of hits and then all their voices broke ( a bit like Welsh sensation Aled Jones).

4 Step Off - Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious Five – This one starts with a small rap in tribute to the following tune (I feel for you) and soon gets into the swing of things. Trainspotters please note that it’s Melle Mel and not Grandmaster Flash on this one.

5 I feel for you – Chaka Khan – Great tune. Written by Prince, featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica and produced by Arif Mardin (who also did lots of work with the late Maurice Gibbs of the BeeGees and other eighties sensations). It all comes together with Chaka’s vocal, and the video set me on my short-lived path to domination of the break-dancing world.

6 I dub you – Freez – This is the (yes, you’ve guessed it) dub version of IOU by Freez. I found it on seven inch recently so I decided to give it its’ debut on my show.

7 I.O.U. – Freez – This tune was produced by Jellybean, another great eighties producer who worked with the likes of Madonna and many others. He also had his own hit with a tune called ‘Jingo’ at one point. I thought it was crap.

8 Solid – Ashford & Simpson – This couple were a prolific song writing duo throughout the seventies and eighties writing hits for lots of artists. This tune came out in the early eighties and the video was a staple feature of MT USA on RTE2 every Sunday. There’s a nice tune on the b-side called ‘Street Corner’

9 Jazz Master – Alex Reece (Kruder & Dorfmeister Remix) – The K&D combination weave their magic on this tune by Alex Reece and turn out one of the most pleasant tunes of the last decade.

10 Please, please let me get what I want – The Dream Academy – These never really got up to much after their initial hit ‘Life in a Northern town’, but this is a cover of a tune by The Smiths and it also featured in the movie ‘Ferris Buellers Day Off’ as Ferris and company made their way around the museum of modern art.

11 25 o’clock – Rí Rá – This is a recent tune by ex-Scary Éire frontman Rí Rá. He has a new album coming out soon and it’ll be interesting to hear a long player by him and featuring his very distinctive rapping style.

12 Witness the pitness
    -- jmcc
    14/01 at 21:01
    delete
    [ Post a message ]

...Pt. II

12 Witness the pitness – MC Pitman – This bootleg seven inch has proved to be a big hit with listeners. It takes a swipe at the state of music and has pointed remarks to make about several acts.

13 Unfinished Sympathy – Massive Attack – Wonderful tune from the ‘Blue Lines’ album.

14 Warning – Queen Omega, Capleton & Sizzla - This is a nice
    tune that features on the second Champion Sound album from France. It’s a dancehall number and it’s got a nice groove ( he remarked, sounding like a hippy).

15 Pass the dutchie – Musical Youth – I just love this tune. It brings me right back to the days when you could send away for free tapes on the back of the Weetabix box.

16 Boops (Here to go) – Sly & Robbie – This is another classic, every one of us should have this in our record collection (to put beside that copy of ‘Feed the world’ by Band Aid)

17 Two Tribes – Frankie goes to Hollywood – This is the 12 inch mix that goes on forever, but still not long enough in my opinion. Oh yeah I was talking to Frankie and he says Relax.

18 Kings Row – UB40 – This one goes out to the Lads in Tallaght who are regular listeners to the show. They always have great jokes but they’re too rude to read on the show.

19 King Selassie – Black Uhuru – Great tune that was produced by Prince Jammy. There is another version by Michael Rose that’s quite nice also.

20 Murderer – Lady Ann – This is another reggae number that’s rather pleasant if you are of a reggae inclination.

21 Bike – Autechre – This is a wonderful tune from the Incunabula album that I played for Carmo from Ranelagh because I’d no Aphex Twin. I hope I got away with it.

22 Bitter things – Christian Kleine – This is on the Morr Music label and is very nice. Check it out if you get the chance.

23 Taking Hold – Kushti – This is by Plaid’s regular DJ, Kushti, who featured prominently on the restproofclockwork album from a couple of years ago. The album was produced by Plaid and is full of wonderful musical gems.

24 Hanging on a string – Loose Ends – Great tune from 1985 that I always play because I’ve such a soft spot for it.

25 This beat is technotronic – MC B and Daisy Dee – This is the original release on the BigOne label, it was later released under the band name Technotronic and it spawned some similar sounding hits for them.

26 Clubbed to death – Rob Dougan – This is an anthem that just never seems to go too far away

27 Drawing Board – Terri Walker – this is a lovely little ditty with a nice vocal a la Erykah Baduh or Jill Scott. It’s perfect Sunday afternoon music.

28 I got the blues – Labi Siffre – This is a brilliant tune. Eminem nicked a riff from it and made it famous but this original blows Eminems nonsense out of the water.

29 Feelin’ groovy – Simon & Garfunkel – As I said after I played it, the only problem with this tune is that it’s not long enough.

30 Don’t fight it, feel it – Primal Scream – This builds a great head of steam and I couldn’t stop myself from shuffling about the studio as it played.

31 Inside my love – Minnie Ripperton – If you haven’t got anything from this lady then do yourself a favour and buy her Anthology that is readily available these days. It will improve your life no end.

32 Inner city blues – Marvin Gaye – Classic. Enough said. "

Advertisement