Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's gonna win the Champions League?

• 14-01-2003 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Real Madrid, who can stop them?
    Well thats if they get thru the 2nd phase!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa

They haven't looked particularly impressive so far this season, except in the occasional match.

There are plenty of teams capable of winning it, but I'll go for the winner to be either Real, Valencia or AC Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

AC Milan

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I think AC but if the moaners manage to stumble into the final i cant see anyone beating them in old trafford on a night like that.

I dont fancy arsenals chances of progressing much :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I fancy United to do it. Arsenal are a better team but cannot seem to turn it on in Europe over the last few years. Real often scrape through the early stages before coming good at the end so I would not rule them out. Can't see an Italian club winning it this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Barca are doin well won every game so far I think ....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Barc or Milan - not impressed with Madrid at all - individuals not a team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

AC Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Agree with most of ye ...AC Milan all the way would be nice to see them play Arsenal in the final too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

man yoo

• Advertisement

I couldn't see Barcelona making much of an impression this year. I know they've won every game, but the teams they've played haven't been contenders. They've also been shamefully bad in the league, and look to be badly lacking in quality, Saviola, Luis Enrique and Xavi aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Can't look beyond Manchester United and Real Madrid, there the only two teams to show consistence(sp?) in the Champions league over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I amn't too up to date on the state of the main european teams (surprising considering how unemployed I am ;) ), but I reckon that United are in with a shout especially with the final being liek a home game. The main problem for them is the chance that the defence will loose them a major match at the wrong time.

Real will as usual be up there (if they play well).

AC Milan seem to have the right combination this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I hope AC Milan win, as i've supported them for bleedin yonks.
    Think Real or Man Ure or perhaps the Arse could win the thing though.
    Of course, being a Pool fan, i hope AC get Man Ure and spread them all over the dirthole that is Old Scumford.

:D

Thats the spirit S_C;)

Alot of the major european teams of the last few years like Real Madrid, Utd etc. have not been that consistant thisyear. I still think AC Milan have the best chance. IMO they ar ethe most impressive looking team since the start of the season.

United have only lost one game in Europe this year and they had already qualified for the next stage. Apart form that they have maximum points. I hope they are that inconsistent for the rest of the season! There defence seems to have tightened up now, it is the send or third meanest in the premiership. I fancy Arsenal to win the premiership and United to win in Europe and the FA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Are any of the german teams showing any form in europe this year?

Originally posted by Waylander
    United have only lost one game in Europe this year and they had already qualified for the next stage. Apart form that they have maximum points.

I mean in general, not just in the CL. I know Milan have slipped up in the seria A but you have to admit they look really impressive when playing. I wouldnt count Arsenal out of Europe yet either. They have been underachieving in the CL and I think there is more in them. How bout Arsenal to emulate the treble.

Methinks an Arsenal AC Milan final in CL would be very interesting and could result in a good night of footie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Are any of the german teams showing any form in europe this year?

Only Dortmund and Leverkeusen , dortmund are 2nd in bundesliga and leverkeusen are 14th .....

both not doing too well in Europe and its very unlikely they'll advance ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Waylander
    United have only lost one game in Europe this year and they had already qualified for the next stage

In fairness, uni'eh have hardly had the hardest of groups so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

You can only beat whats put in front of you !!

Originally posted by jonno
    I mean in general, not just in the CL. I know Milan have slipped up in the seria A but you have to admit they look really impressive when playing.

Yes, they've slipped to...first in Serie A*. Doesn't seem like such a slump ;-)

*Yes, yes, I know it's on goal difference.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Sposs
    You can only beat whats put in front of you !!
    Or in uniteds case, lose 1-0 and then leave themselves having to win the return leg to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Milan are easily capable of winning it, but there are games where they're lacking in creativity. Surprising really, considering their strike force of Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Rui Costa and oh yea... Rivaldo. Their main strenght tho is in midfield where they just out-muscle the opposition. If the midfield plays well, Milan win. No matter who the opposition :]

[w00t 2000th post!]

In fairness, uni'eh have hardly had the hardest of groups so far

Tell that to Liverpool fans and Celtic fans who went out at Basle's expense. Also united have beaten Deportivo fairly convincingly and two victories against last years beaten finalists. You are right Dustaz they have not met any decent opposition yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gelmir

The Gooners!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I still reckon Valencia. If they could score a bit more i'd say deffo.
    Real are going to have a wicked hard time qualifing now after picking up, what... 1 point from the first two games?

I Don't know if milan can do it. I still have my doubts for some reason.Don't know what it is exactly i just dopnt think they'll be ready for it when it turns to knockout format.
    I honestly think Man Utd have a great chance, especially if they get to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Yeah I agree, Arsenal are a good outside bet, but Real are starting to play some magic fussball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I would agree that united stand a pretty good chance of reaching the final (being a united fan). They play much better football as a team in the champions league (a latin style of football according to silvestre!). Arsenal play REALLY good premiership football, but they lack european experience, especially when they will come up against the big sides in later rounds e.g. real madrid, who are on form. This is where i feel united will show greater strength. Although i would say in a few years maybe 03/04 season they would have aenough experience to take their challenge all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Hagi1513

AC Milan.They have some of the best strikers in the world Shevchenko etc,an excellent midfield Rui Costa,Albertini,Pirlo and excellent defenders Maldini.If they don't win it i'd like to see Barcelona win it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Originally posted by Hagi1513
    AC Milan.They have some of the best strikers in the world Shevchenko etc,an excellent midfield Rui Costa,Albertini,Pirlo and excellent defenders Maldini.If they don't win it i'd like to see Barcelona win it

i totally agree!

Shevchenko is a fúckin class stricker!

Originally posted by Hagi1513

I agree with you, except for the point about Albertini, as he was sold to Athletico Madrid this summer. (Along with Contra, Moreno and Jose Mari)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I dont know who will win it, But for some very strange reason, I have a feeling gigsy will score a goal in the final, put money on it while the odds are good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

AC Milan or Barcelona.

I know Barca have had a good run in Europe so far but they are crap in the Spanish league. I do not think they will get past the quarters. I also think it is a bit early in their resurgence for any of the Italian teams to win. Gotta be down to United, Real and Valencia.

• Advertisement

I thought that barca were pretty similar to united in the early parts of the season. They seemed to play like a different team in europe that in the league, united were the same, although they seem to be gettin back on track. But consistenct in both competitions league and teh euorpean cup seems to have no reflection of how well the team well actually do.
    Just look at Bayern Munich last year. Roy Keane commented on how he admired them because they were top of the bundesliga and top of their group, but they ended up getting knocked out when they came up against bigger competition. Barca may be inconsistent but i think they might be able to get at least to the semi-finals in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i think real madrid or barca, real madrid may not have been great in the early stages but they always do this, manage to scrape through and play very well near the end.

Barca have also impressed me considering i wrote them off before the tournament

AC Milan have a great team on paper, but i just cant see them winning it this year, i think a spanish club will do the business.

Man U (as much as i hate them) have also been very impressive thus far.

hmm ill go for real madrid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think Man u will do it (absolutely not a biased opinion here :p )

They've looked far more solid in the CL and have been getting very good results, even when in their bad patch. Now that they are having a fairly decent time in the PL it can only help their CL prospects :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

man utd all the way. with the final in old trafford how can you back against them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Juventus. Just cause they're my team and nobody's mentioned them yet :)

• Advertisement

I like the way this band-wagon is rolling, and so im gonna hop on!
    UNITED! clap, clap, clap, UNITED clap, clap, clap! ETC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippy Brady

Arsenal all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Chippy, will ye take that yellow swimming cap off yer head, it looks ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippy Brady

I can't remove it, it was surgically attached!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    Chippy, will ye take that yellow swimming cap off yer head, it looks ridiculous

aw funny but wat the fúck????

Advertisement