Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't normally agree with Fintan O'Toole but...

Options
  • 14-01-2003 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

… his article in today’s Irish Times was absolutely spot-on.

He was talking about how the Minister for the Environment Martin Cullen was on Morning Ireland talking about our obligations under the Kyoto Agreement and recent turbulent weather when he came out with the following gem:

“All of the experts are saying all of this is the greenhouse gases having an effect on the ozone layer and it’s causing major changes in weather.”

Of course, ozone depletion has fup-all to do with greenhouse gases or global warming. As Fintan points out, this is something a 12-year old Junior Cert student is expected to know. But not only is this guy a national politician and thus expected to know something about one of the biggest global issues over the past twenty years, he is Minister for the Environment!!!!

And people wonder why this country is so badly run when we elect fools like this? Where do we get them from? This is as bad as last year’s Joe Jacobs on Liveline fiasco. Of course, what makes it even worse is that we all know that absolutely nothing will be done to get rid of him. Bertie hasn’t the bottle, or more likely, just doesn’t give a toss, and we won’t hear a squeak out of the quote-unquote Opposition.

On a side note, Fintan O’Toole also made Alan Dukes look like an absolute fool on Questions and Answers last night. And to think that Dukes was considered one of the most capable FG TD’s.

And another side note, someone in the audience actually referred to “9-11” as “7-11”.

I’m not joking. That actually happened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And another side note, someone in the audience actually referred to “9-11” as “7-11”.

Was'nt that a gag in the Absolutly Fabulous Crimbo Special?

I say Sept 11 and try to aviod americanisms.

As for Martin Cullen, well he's new, ahem. It was proberly just a slip of the tongue, though looks bad.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

never agree with him too...but yep have to agree he was brill on Q+A...Dukes came out like ****e...got a bit of a fright when I heard 7/11

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    … On a side note, Fintan O’Toole also made Alan Dukes look like an absolute fool on Questions and Answers last night. And to think that Dukes was considered one of the most capable FG TD’s.
    I actually thought the exact opposite.
    Alan dukes on several occasions made Fintan mad, during that programme, while Alan himself, dismissed a lot of Fintans rants fair and square, whilst staying calm himself.
    thats a bad sign when , the person you are debating with gets mad, rather than tackle what you have said.
    Indeed Fintan had a lot of his facts wrong in the farming debate, in the first half of the programme, and showed a great lack of understanding of that industy.
    At the end of the programme, Fintan looked the more rattled of the two.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Man

At the end of the programme, Fintan looked the more rattled of the two.

alan 1 fintan 0

fintan couldnt muster a good coherent point, alan was a tad better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Fintan "Ohme-Bleeding-Heart" "My-Dad-Was-A-Bus-Driver" "I'm-For-The-Workers" O'Toole", what is this guy like?!

Yes, sometimes, he has something to say and he says it very well. But boy does this guy go on and on and on... After a while you just turn off.

When he does 'The Last Word' I immediatly turn-off or switch to another station. The guy can't interview. He answers his own questions...
    "...I put it to you...blah, blah, blah", or "...isn't it the case that... blah, blah, blah".

It's time we call O'Toole for what he is - just another lazy, Oh-My-Bleeding-Heart journalist.

And he's pissed off that he wasn't made Editor of the Irish Times, and now he's taking it out on us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement