Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best irish album ever

Options
  • 15-01-2003 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭

Whilst out on a HUGE session last saturday two of the lads we were out with started on a rampage about how their were never any good dublin bands and very few good irish acts at all, this {obviuosly wrong} rant, prompted me to think whats is the best irish album of all time???

My vote goes to Whipping boys amazing second album heartworm, every song on that album is a classic and it is as near to musical perfection as it gets. They could jump easily from the quiet-loud-quiet-loud-louder-loud of 'we dont need nobody else' and 'fiction' to the beautiful acoustic strains of 'personality' and 'the honeymoon is over' this coupled with two all time classic singles 'when we were young' and 'twinkle' and five other musical gems make Heartworm an album everyone should own and cheerish.

What do you cats think of said opus???

What are would be your choices for number 1 Irish album of all time???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

heartworm is great but not my tops, that'd be...

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    bloody sex on a disc, the pleasure will never die

U2 - joshua tree was a fave when i was a kid and i tend to hang
    on to my roots, great album though i never really liked "still haven't found"

Greatest song?
    Rollerskate skinny - "speed to my side" is a winner,
    some say the album is the best irish, i don't rate it that high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yep gotta be Loveless imo, still absolutely stunning to listen to and basically brought a genre to a whole new level for years to follow, and which is still unmatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Therapy? - Nurse

or Sultans of Ping - Casual Sex in the Cineplex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Splatz

Best Irish album ever?

I dunno, that's a tough one, there's some fantastic albums but they're mostly recent ones.

I mean the Irish scene hasn't always been as promising as it is now.

If we were talking classics I'd say Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak.

More modern... I'd be inclined to point towards Turn - Antisocial.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Whipping Boy-Heartworm without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

when i think of what i want in an album for me to love it i usually come up with a few little things the album must be:

1) Long: A sort album (30 mins or less) is a big turn off

2) Every song the same: like most people in an album i like some songs to be different from the rest. if the band avoids using the same riff in every song there on the right track

3)Lyrics: it's really nice to have something to think about when a nice tune is playing and i love hearing really good lyrics for me they make or brake a song

so..........
    i think i may just have ruled out most of my fav albums.... DAMN IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jamie D

This choice might be a little too obvious, like picking a U2 album, but I would have to say the The Frames' album dance the devil is up there as my favourite.

This was one of the most anticipated irish albums of all times. With all the record company problems they were having we knew the songs inside-out from hearing them live so many times before the record got released.

Back in the day when 'The Mary Janes' would support 'The Frames DC' and visa versa

Mick Christopher R.I.P.

Music is written on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

maybe dr millar-the deal?

i presume if i actually bothered to buy the joan of arse cd id love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Heartworm is amazing - first gig I ever went to was Whipping Boy in the Point supporting Lou Reed - still one of the best shows I've seen. I was real sorry when they parted company. What are the Whipping Boy crew doing these days, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Dance the devil - The frames
    Small moments - David Kitt
    Loveless - My bloody valentine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭saintgaz

Heartworm is an amazing album, the best modern Irish album without a doubt. You know there's no justice in music when this sold anything under 10 million.

Best album ever for me though, Irish or otherwise, was Astral Weeks by Van Morrison. I was never a fan of his until relatively recently, because I grew up knowing Van as a grumpy boring old sh1te. But he did some fantastic stuff in the late 60s /early 70s. I go for Astral Weeks because it sounds like no other piece of work recorded before or since - a genuine one-off work of genius. Bono may be a tosser but he hit the nail on the head when he described the album as being like 'Legal drugs' - it lifts you up and takes you off to another place. Magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sinead O'Connor's "the lion and the cobra" deserves a worthy mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Beany

Originally posted by Jamie D
    I would have to say the The Frames' album dance the devil is up there as my favourite.

Yes. Yes. Yes. This is the correct answer.

2nd Snow Patrol - "When its all over..."

3rd Frank & Walters - "Planes..."

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I have 2 agree - Van Morrison -- Astral Weeks.

Its also my favourite all time.

Heartworm is also an amazing album.

Whipping boy's gig back in December 1997 in the TBMC was an excellent gig. Possibly best gig ive been to although the frames always put on a fantastic live performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

for me the number 1 has got to be
    songs for polarbears -by- snow patrol

others worth a mention (and already have been) are
    loveless -by- my bloody valentine
    dance the devil -by- the frames and of course
    when its all over.... -by- snow patrol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well seeing as I helped with my friend's Whipping Boy site (valentine69.com) I'd have to say Heartworm. A great album from start to finish. I suppose this doesn't count for much when I consider how little Irish music I listen too.

Just got Loveless over the weekend (5 pound sterling in Edinburgh). Listened to it a few times and while I can't confess that I'm into it yet it seems like there's something worthy there.

Surprised nobody's posted a Pogues album yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

This is a hard Q

Joshua Tree is a very good album but I have to say at the mo' I'd have to go with Damien Rice - "o". It gets better with every listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 panzer_attack

im going to have to go with whipping boy heartworm aswell.a pure stunner.so much raw passion in that record.

other great albums for me:

therapy?/infernal love(most people would say that its their worst but it has a really dark emotional feel to it,all those drugs fcuked up their heads)

kerbdog/kerbdog

turn/check my ears-mini album

mexican pets/voice of trucker youth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

I have ONE yes, thats ONE Irish album....
    Its JJ72....
    Yes yes i know.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Mic Christopher.... just can't beat 'em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 joe10speed

definitely some good ones there... i would rate "isn't anything" over "loveless" though... nice to see a dr. millar album there... his last one is even better i think...what about horsedrawn wishes and shoulder voices by rollerskate skinny?
    after the break by planxty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Tom Dunnes top thirty hits has to be the best irish album sure doesn't it have all the best songs on it and more.

I'd have to say that Thin Lizzys Shades of a blue orphanage deserves a mention. It was released at a time when Thin lizzy were Irish and wrote poetry not pop songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

hhhmmmm, I wonder how many of those albums are really classics (leaving aside the potentially neverending argument about what constitutes a classic). I'd say probably Loveless and Astral Weeks.

I also think 'And Nico' by the Sewing Room is a beautiful album. I'm also listening to Shoulder Voices by Rollerskate Skinny at the moment - quality upon quality upon quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Hitchers - 'It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye' (1998)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Just a few of the classic Irish albums knocking around my record collection:

The Blades: Last man in Europe
    Stars of Heaven: Rain on the sea
    Revenants: Horseofadifferentcolour
    Whipping Boy: Heartworm
    Microdisney: Clock comes down the stairs
    Fat Lady Sings: Twist

Jaysus, now I feel old. Later, I will dredge deeper for my Boomtown Rats and Radiators from Space albums. Class stuff.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 butterflywings

dance the devil does have to be one of the greatest albums of all time from anyone,anywhere. it'd probably be my favourite, i have to say.
    antisocial's cracking.
    skylarkin's pretty amazing too. pity there's not more of mic's stuff available..

did mark mccabe (the 'maniac' guy- what an artiste) ever have an album? twould be a sin not to give him the honourable mention he so rightly deserves.

love to all
    xxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I often listin to an album and like it. Somtimes I listin to an album and really like it but only twice have I litined to an album and been physicaly and mentally shocked at how good it was once was Jeff Bukley grace and the other was the best irish album of all time and quite posibly the best of all time whipping boys heartworm. Its probably extra special because of the trouble I went through to get it. I went to yahoo went to music shops and got an alabetical list of 3000 I eventually got it from a site begining with s after goning down through every site. To think i had to buy the greatest irish album of all time on line from a swiss second hand shop is weird. It manages to sound both cold and passionate dark and joyus blody brilliant album pity they will never get their own stamp and be hailed for the legends they are. Forget that spike they should have put up a statue of Fergal McKee, Myles McDonal, Paul Page and Colin Hasset(I think the nemes are right).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Wow, Dance the Devil is getting a lot of mentions. I love the Framse, but I prefer both Fitzcarraldo and For the Birds. Anyway, thats just my take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

I can't believe that no one has chosen anyhting by A House!!
    Surely these guys can't go by without a mention.

I WANT TOO MUCH!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

some of my favourites

#1 My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything

and the rest in no order

Whipping Boy - Submarine

Stars Of Heaven - Speak Slowly

A House - Wide Eyed And Ignorant

A House - I Want Too Much

The Jimmy Cake - Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead

Into Paradise - Under The Water