Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Well if you're gonna go down the whole "length of time taken to develop such good games" then why has no one admitted that the DC had the worst selection of opening games in a long time, a give the ps2 a bleedin chance to build itself up ?
    And put an end to the stupid argument!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Can you even NAME the DC launch titles in the UK, bugs?

G'wan, have a run through the list of European DC launch titles there for me, and the ones in the 1 or 2 months that followed, and point out all these really crap (like, ps2 standard crap) titles to me. Please. I'd be highly entertained.

(Don't even bother quoting Godzilla at me again, it wasn't even released outside Japan)

Yes , lets go name european launch titles and compare them to japanese launch titles , that makes mountains of sense.
    I was comparing the japanese DC launch to the ps2 japanese launch which in my mind makes a hell of a lot more sense, and if you still want a list of the release games from japan , i'll list 'em, won't take me too long, there were only 5!

Muppet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Ok but we're talking about the european DC launch and the upcoming european PS2 launch.

I'd also like to say that IMHO more games doesnt always equal better console.

Quality counts.

Thats a general view on ALL consoles

I'm a MOG, half man half dog I'm my own best friend.

Bugs, sort your attitude out. I'm comparing European launches, because 99% of people don't give a damn about the Jap launch.

I've told you before that if you can't ahve a civil discussion, then you should just shut up.

• Advertisement

Well from what i've seen the european release list for the ps2 looks pretty rosy.
    SSX, numerous footy games, fifa whatever, Unreal tournament, tekken, kessen, armored core 2, surfroid.

Some pretty good games , of which i've played a few , armored core being great, surfroid being fun but not amazing, the novelty of a surfboard to play it with being the fun part, fifa there to amuse the masses.

LOL

Not to take anything from this debate but i just read that Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles is coming to DC for chrimbo eek.gif

What on earth made me buy it for PSX is beyond me frown.gif

UT won't be out this chrimbo, not in Europe anyway.

Also, the release list looks VERY dodgy now; titles like Orphen and so on have been pulled from it because the publishers want to wait until there are enough machines out there to justify releasing their products. I do agree though, some of the European launch titles do look genuinely good, although there's a lot of dated old pap in there as well (like pretty much all the current jap software, bar Fantavision)...

Ja,
    Rob

I'd be surprised if orphen even saw the light of day over here , its based on the anime and manga sorcerous stabber orphen which most ppl won't ever have heard of or give a care.

As far as UT goes , well its slated for a release, i don't really care for UT in general anyway , especially not on a joypad.
    They're not releasing some of the best games over here either , gun griffon blaze , ephemeral fantasia , and i don't think summoner will be out for the release day which is a loss.

I'm in agreement that the release is botched and now i'm being told that european high prices are being blamed on the hardware encoded DVD rather than software in japan. I'm pretty sure mines hardware but if it isn't i couldn't care less, because the picture quality is excellent.

The DC has lost alot of developers that i consider top class, namco and snk/aruze which really helped in making the DC a popular machine.
    I'm tired of the DC vs. ps2 fight so i'm not going on about it.

All i'm saying now is i'm waiting with bated breath for the following:
    Metal gear solid 2 ( no surprise )
    Zone of enders
    The bouncer
    Wipeout fusion
    King of fighters 2000
    Last blade 3

It'll be a long time before i see any of them , but i think the payout on the machine is worth it.
    As far as europe goes , aren't they dropping the price after christmas ?

A lot of those games wont be out till late next year, but do justify purchasing the ps2.

However, by the looks of it, X-Box is the way to go, with over 150 publishers already lined up, konami already being 1 of them.

MGS2 anyone...........

• Advertisement

MGS2 won't be seeing an X-box release , microsoft tried to buy them out to that end some time ago but at least konami had the integrity to say no.

It might hit X-box or whatever it is they intend to call it much later than the ps2 version such as the PC version of MGS is coming soon , but it won't be a simultaneous release. MGS2 hits january-ish next year , summer for europe.

I'm not saying anything about the X-box yet , cos no one knows if it'll be great or bomb. Lets keep everything in perspective here anyway , the X-box is a LONG LONG way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'd say the decision was more to do with the fact that any game engine that looks that good on the PS2, must be so shockingly different from a 'normal' PC-style engine that a port just wouldn't be possible without enormous reworking.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I don't think the X-Box will be very successful. Microsoft are inexperienced at console making and I think people wil stick with their sonys and nintendo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

about the joypad-fps thing:
    there are keyboards and mice out for the DC, and some will probably come out for the ps2 aswell. BUT the ps2 has only 2 ports, one for mouse one for keyboard whereas the DC has four - enough for 2 player split screen each with a mouse and keyboard of their own.
    You can't even do that on a pc wink.gif

Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - 8

[This message has been edited by whitetrash (edited 23-09-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

dont count the "xbox" (it's not "x-box anymore biggrin.gif) out yet http://www.dailyradar.com/news/game_news_4971.html

Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - 8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

LOL @ all this crap about machines and companies, when anyone knows it's the games that make the console. Bugs likes harping on about Final Fantasy and Vagrant Story etc. - <example>The main reason FF7 wasn't on N64 was because the storage medium hasn't got the capacity for a 3-CD game. Now that Nintendo have a console on the way using high-capacity discs, we should see FF games back on Nintendo machines (hoping Square have gotten over their little fall-out with Nintendo back in the SNES days...)</example>

Anyway, what the hell is this all about - how popular a console will be or how entertaining a console is? It's the latter that matters to the person playing the console... I didn't buy my DC or N64 to be popular (I have my Playstation for that tongue.gif )

This is for whoever wrote the ps2 has only 2 ports!
    It has two standard game ports and two usb ports, and as for 4 player gaming , please , what a waste of time , even the ps2 couldn't handle the real power you need to run something well , and irregardless its a pain in the ass playing on a tiny quarter of a TV screen , PC multiplayer is the only way to go for more than 2 ppl at once.

And nintendo and their large media disk ???
    Ammm why do you think its any use , in comparison to DVD , their little minidisc rip off is basically in proportion to a cart again , rumours are that the japs will get DVD with their game cube and we won't.

And in other rumours , the ps2 is "rumoured" to be put back to january for european release due to extremely small numbers that would be available for launch.

And in some tasty news , with ps2's new TI board , anyone lucky enough to own a 10000 series ps2 is now in the money as they're worth twice what they were when they came out.
    Yoink

Which just goes and poops on anyone who doesnt

I just saw the video that was attached to PSM2 that had the MGS2 E3 video on it and OMFG!!!!

Cant wait till this game comes out cos it's gonna rock!!!

(yes yes i know but i wont be getting a ps2 till then so for now i'm sticking with my trusty lickle dreamcast cool.gif )

I looked in the mirror and just had to laugh.

Advertisement