Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTU settings

Options
  • 15-01-2003 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

What is the best MTU setting? It is currently set at 1492, is there any better setting?

I am trying to tweak out every bit of speed I can from my ADSL connection, seeing that I am paying through the noise for it.

I have a ZyXel 645m modem and I use a wireless router (D-liink 614+) to share out the connection. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_reg_win2k.shtml

This has served me well. (I don't have DSL but some of our users do)

Bogobot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

If your DSL connection uses PPPoE (all the offerings in the country do AFAIK), 1492 is the biggest MTU you can use. If you're using a NATing DSL router or otherwise sharing your connection, all of the clients should have their ethernet card's MTU set to 1492 (the default is 1500).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

If your DSL connection uses PPPoE (all the offerings in the country do AFAIK)
    I've just got EsatBT's 512k/256k DSL and a letter that arrived afterwards said that the encapsulation was PPPoA.

Patrick.

Yup, someone else mentioned today that EsatBT are using PPPoA - same as BT in the UK. 1500 MTU would be best for that. Lucky SOBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

I have Eircoms 1Mbit/512K adsl (PPPoE), so should just leave it at 1492?

• Advertisement

Yes. On the PPP interface you don't have a choice. On other interfaces and other machines on your network, it makes sense to keep the MTU the same to avoid Complications.

Advertisement