Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT residential DSL line-check

Options
  • 15-01-2003 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hyas,

I just want to share my frustration with Esat's phone line check for residential DSL...

I was super excited when I saw the price etc, and I have decided I'll spend my money on that, so I checked my phone number on their website, saw DSL is available for my line, and happily called their freephone to sign up for real DSL check.

Initially they said 'We'll call u back tomorrow'. That was 2 weeks ago...

If their service is so 'good' in checkin lines, I wonder what will happen when they will actually need to install the thing. They are saying that after I fill the forms, I have to wait 4-6 weeks. If we compare it with the above experience (which isnt over yet), I might wait for a year or something...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

tests are carried out periodically and not on request.

the results are stored in a mysterious database which is not registered with the DPC

if you are logged as a pass there then you may have dsl (after 4 or 6 weeks as you observed).

Wait another 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Don't forget to add in a Christmas time wasting factor and multiply by the X-mas alcohol memory loss factor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Call again, get names of people you speak to and make note of when they say they will call you back.

If they dont, then you call them back, if you get treated the same way ask to speak to their manager and youve a nice copy of dates times and unfulfilled promises to regail them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I rang them today after the same prob,the rep was very helpful and he informed me the results are coming back late this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

what number did you ring to get an Esat check on your line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

Ok, first to say, I got a call yesterday around 7pm (seems they customer care is working late :) ), and I passed the check - yippiiee! (I'm just 400m from exchange point *grin*).

So, now lets keep the fingers crossed that everyhting else will happen in a timely matter

For the Customer Care persons - they actually were helpful, or at least kind and nice while I was talkin to them, so I'm not directly blaming them for 'waiting period'

Dasilva94, I just called the number which is advertised on their website (Well, its a free EsatBT 1800 number) and asked for Residential DSL

WIll kepp you informed bout the rest of this DSL story

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm also waiting on it to go through, my line has passed but apparently there are problems with the system used for final testing. sbp - what exchange are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 roneill

try www.adslnow.ie there resellers for Esat, I called them and they got back to me very quickly with the line test results and emailed me the application form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

This is true for eircom's service, but Esat BT operate a different system and have a different entry point into the eircom line test area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by highlight
    This is true for eircom's service, but Esat BT operate a different system and have a different entry point into the eircom line test area

ESAT testing is live(ish) while Eircom is picked off a batch then ?

What is the batch periodicity if you know?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I'm just 400m from exchange point *grin*
    sbp - which exchange??

Do you have to buy DSL switches / hubs and network cards for you PC??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by thegills
    sbp - which exchange??

Do you have to buy DSL switches / hubs and network cards for you PC??

Not for residential. You get an Ericsson modem which takes in the RJ45 from the connector the engineer fits on your wall, then the modem connects with USB. It's really simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

I'm on Dun Laoghaire exchange. Apparently it goes live in the next 5-7 days (end of next week?), so maybe the waiting period will be less than 4-6 weeks.

As bout PC... Have 10/100 Lan, they'll supply the USB modem (yikes but hafta live with that), have only 1 PC (So dont need hub etc) - LMK if I need anything that I'm not aware of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by eth0_
    You get an Ericsson modem which takes in the RJ45 from the connector the engineer fits on your wall, then the modem connects with USB.
    How would I go about sharing this connection? I don't think there are any routers available with USB inputs, so would I have to replace the Ericsson modem with my own modem/router and set it up with Esat's PPPoA settings? (I really don't want to do the Windows ICS thing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Meh
    How would I go about sharing this connection? I don't think there are any routers available with USB inputs, so would I have to replace the Ericsson modem with my own modem/router and set it up with Esat's PPPoA settings? (I really don't want to do the Windows ICS thing.)

Question for nets and comms tbh.. however sharing the connection over a single modem, would have to either be Microsofts ICS thing, or another sharing application, such as wingate.

Advertisement