Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loop back adapter

Options
  • 15-01-2003 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me where to get one of these and how they work exactly ?

I always thought they simulated a network connection for testing nics etc , like a hardware version of a 127.0.0.1 ping , am i right ?

Anyway ive been asked to see if i can get one , anyone know a site and how they work exactly ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

A loopback adaptor is exactly as you describe.....a virtual nic for troubleshooting and localhost use? Are there hardware devices that do the same thing? Why would anyone need such a device?

??

Bogobot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I was asked to see if i could get one, i wasnt sure a "hardware" version existed. I have no idea why the person wants one ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Loopback is a virtual device witch all localhost network traffic is sent in order to allow applications to function as if it was arriving via your network card. It's for more than testing, it's a vital part of any locally used network services.

The only real hardware analogy you need is a Crossover cable and 2 NIC's.

A physical NIC will have one IP address and one MAC address. Hence if you send data to it, it's treated as local traffic. (Think of the analogy of ping'ing your own network cards IP)

Advertisement