Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body fat percentage ...

• 15-01-2003 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me how you go about finding out your % body fat ?

I read somewhere that the ideal is 15% , is this correct ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Your local GP can tell you, or better still a gym administrator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

about 12%- 18% is ideal for a man i think, it's a bit higher for a woman (in the 20s i think).
    There are various electronic gizmos that can tell you your body fat. One measures your impedance, you hold it in your hands, and input your weight. Another looks like a weighing scales. Not sure how well they work though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I don't really pay much attention to bodyfat at the moment.

However the weigh scale/formula based approaches are vulnerable to serious flaws.

General way is get someone who knows what they are doing to test with a calipers.

Failing that, I believe the best way involves immersion in water or some such. Never had the pleasure myself though.

It is easier to go by how you look in my view.

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Jak

[snip] loads of crap [/snip]

Failing that, I believe the best way involves immersion in water or some such. Never had the pleasure myself though.

It is easier to go by how you look in my view.

JAK.
    Yeah, water displacement is the most accurate measure, but the bioimpedence ones work fairly well too, you can buy an all-in-one scales with that built in from somewhere in town.

Check out this for more info on the topic.http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/calculatebodyfat.html

Al.

• Advertisement
Advertisement