Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft to reveal source code for O.S.

Options
  • 15-01-2003 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

The once secretive source code for their windows operating systems will be available to government agencies and the such, to reiterate trust to using their software etc...

hell, why not tell the public

chances of a possible source leak = most likely :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what is their os written in??

c??

what would '95 be written in, as opposed to XP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Intresting... Got any links????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Not really that interesting...

Company wrap ribbon round existing product and call it new stuff..
    http://212.100.234.54/content/4/28869.html

nothing new here... Loads of companies have been doin this for years... €ircon to name one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Id love to clap eyes on that ....................... Windows sercetive asses ........ hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by daveirl
    Why should they have to release their source? Because you don't like their product. Well just don't use it then. There are other operating systems.

Of course they are secretive they've got copyrighted code. They wrote it. I suppose you think Coke should have to give out their secret formula too?

i agree exactly, but the thing that pisses me off and alot of people as well is the fact that they lie alot about their products,

the one main example is the files that stay on your system after you delete them , and i'm not talking about data retrievel procedures but the temp files \ cache \ etc..

they never denied it of course but they never told users either,

they make it so hard to acquire this knowledge you're better off telling yourslef there is none

and true they have been bad at exploits in the past but linux is right up there regards bugs/exploits etc.. at the moment which is a scary thought,

if people aren't happy with it , i think they should do some research into the os, and if they still aren't happy , switch

i don't think there is a happy medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

hope this helps

http://****microsoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

:D

please substitute the four asteriks for you know what

ok..it sounds like fcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Those b@stards at microsoft. Does anyone have a logically reason for them doing this? There is more to microsoft that meets the eye. I wonder what else they are doing without permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Interestin site that. Anyone had any luck accessing the files in those hidden folders on XP Pro?
    I got the names of the folders in content.ie5. Dos sais they dont exist but "cd foldername" brings me in to the directory. No files are listed (no surprise there) and I dont know the names to access them.
    The directions on the site are ffor win 9x machines, maybe MS have done a bit more to keep them hidden from prying eyes in later OS's...or maybe I'm just not goin about it in the right way..

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

or maybe...just maybe there isn't a giant conspiracy

Well I wouldn't jump on the whole conspiracy bandwagon just yet either, but it does raise the questions "why are they going to these measures to keep information regarding our surfing, email systems etc. hidden away from us?". We know where we have visited so why hide it away? And why make it so awkward for us to delete this info if we so wish?
    By doing so they are leaving themselves open to criticism which is unnecessary if they have nothing to hide.
    Personally I dont care if they have a record of my surfing but I do think I have every right to easy access of this information, which is not the case.
    From what I have read they will not be disclosing the full source to anyone, keeping a small section of it secret. This I believe they are entitled to do as they slaved over the code. This doesn't however address the fact that they could (and I stress could) be accumulating information on people without their consent and without allowing them easy access to this data. I'm not jumping to conclusions about what they do with this data if they even use it at all, simply that if there's nothing sinister about it then why go to the trouble of hiding it away?

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Just for the record, MS arent giving away anything really juicy. What they are giving out is not of a huge benefit AFAIK.

Advertisement