Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter Release Date

Options
  • 15-01-2003 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Date announced for next Harry Potter book

The eagerly awaited fifth instalment of Harry Potter will hit bookshelves on June 21, it was announced today.

The next JK Rowling novel about the boy wizard – possibly the world’s biggest publishing phenomenon – is to be called Harry Potter And The Order of the Phoenix.

It will be even longer than the last at 255,000 words.

Goblet Of Fire, the fourth Potter outing, was 191,000 words.

Goblet of Fire became the fastest selling book in history on the first weekend of its publication in July 2000.

It sold 372,000 copies in hardback in the UK during its first weekend in the shops.

Each of the four books so far have been number one in the bestseller lists and have dominated end-of-year sales charts.

Again, the book will be published in a children’s edition and with a cover which will appeal more to adults.

Lesley Miles of book retailer Waterstone’s said today: “With the amount of interest and excitement surrounding Harry Potter, we expect the interest in advance reservations to be enormous.

“It’s been a couple of years since Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire was first published and we know Harry’s fans can’t wait to get a copy of the new volume.”

Since the publication of the last book Rowling married Doctor Neil Murray in a Boxing Day ceremony in 2001.

They are expecting a child in the spring.

Rowling already has a daughter Jessica from a brief marriage. The writer split from Portuguese Jorges Arantes shortly after the birth.
    Seriously looking forward to it. The books are getting darker, yet even more enjoyable.

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I despaired for a while whether she would EVER write The Order of the Phoenix, can't wait to get my hands on a copy!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

bahs June 21 , sooo far away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i cant wait neither....
    im getting scared though....was there much of a demand for the 4th book...were people queueing for days and days for it? (ok..may be exaggerating a little bit)
    i think i may be in america at the time of release...is this a good or a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hear there was a huge demand alright.
    Best bet is to order from Amazon, I suppose.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0747551006/qid%3D1042735459/026-7462065-9857211

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd say Amazon is the best bet to be sure of an early copy. First book since the movies came out and all that - it'll easily sell half a million copies in the UK&Ireland over the first weekend.

Ah but will it resolve that confusing thing that Dumbledore does at the end of the fourth book?

(June 21 is a Saturday - I wonder if Amazon will deliver it for the 20th or the 23rd)

• Advertisement

ah sceptre....ive read the 4th book about 5 times and i still dont know what bit yer reffering to

will you write it? in spoiler? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by sceptre

Ah but will it resolve that confusing thing that Dumbledore does at the end of the fourth book?
    What bits that? I can't nay remember. The thing I didn't like at the end of the fourth was Cornelius Fudge's attitude, twas needed as a plot device but could have been made a bit more believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by thedrowner
    ah sceptre....ive read the 4th book about 5 times and i still dont know what bit yer reffering to

will you write it? in spoiler? thanks!

This bit (it's on page 604 of the paperback):
    (it's just after Harry tells Dumbledore that Voldemort could finally touch him without hurting himself)

"For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in Dumbledore's eyes. But next second, Harry was sure he had imagined it, for when Dumbledore had returned to his seat behind the desk, he looked as old and weary as Harry had ever seen him"

Probably worth reading the entire page for context and all that. It's only a small thing (and perhaps I'm making something of it where there's nothing important there) but I doubt it's there for no reason. It's been bothering me (not very often i have to admit) since I first read the book.

Also (from books 3 and 4)
    what's with Crookshanks? Sirius Black had great things to say about that cat being smart and all - can't but think that cat has important things ahead

Given that she's the plot sketched out for all the books you can see clues relating to events in the second, third and fourth books from pretty early on - I doubt these things are there just for the hell of it.

It's sad really isn't it - a 27 year old deconstructing small parts of a kids book:D

with regards to your spoiler i thought that
    it was to do with harry;s blood being used in recreating Voldemort that brought a gleam to Dumbledore's eyes
    for somereason

• Advertisement

sceptre-yeah, i noticed that too and also wondered that. also, another thing im dying to find out about is when
    dumbledore sends snape to do what he has to do....i presume he's gonna let snape pretend to be back with voldemort or osmething like that

yeah....im not so suspicious about the cat coz i think he may have had his hey dey in book 3, but tbh i wouldnt be surprised either way. also, im dying for snape to come out with some big secret...like....'harry...i am your father' (hee hee) . ive always been suspicious about snape, coz i just think that the excuse dunbledore gave harry about his being so nasty to harry isnt good enough. but im probably being over suspicious. but i still think hes a goodie...if u know what i mean.

another thing i suspect is that
    ron and hermione will get together. at some stage.
    but probably not until the 6th book. but there's definately been hints at that happening in book 4.

Hmmm, I remember that now. Confused me too.

I think probably
    that the fact that he can touch Harry means that in his regeneration he has absorbed a bit of Harry and that this will provide a weakness to be exploited.
    Or summat.

another thing i suspect is that
    but probably not until the 6th book. but there's definately been hints at that happening in book 4.
    Yeah I reckon
    Ron's definately going to get bet into Hermione
    . Though one wonders if
    that Cho chick is going to provide Harry's love interest

Right I think thats about just enough sad geekyness in one place.

im not so sure about that i would have thought
    that harry and hermione would get together because at the end of book 4 it says she did something she;d never done before and kissed him on the cheek...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

You sure youre not reading some sick Harry Potter fanfics Funky? :p I dont recall that at all...
    I for one found it very convenient that Cho's boyfriend was killed off at the end of the fourth book...

A

Originally posted by Asuka
    I for one found it very convenient that Cho's boyfriend was killed off at the end of the fourth book...

A
    I think Harry might be batting above his station there though. She's feisty.

I remember reading about Phoenix last week. Rowling has revealed 2 facts about it.

1. There will be a major revelation at the end.
    2. One of the central characters will die.

Anyone like to guess what they are?

I have a feeling that the revelation is:
    Harrys father is Voldemort. Remember at the end of the Chamber of Secrets, Tom Riddle said "You will join your mother soon." (or words to that effect)? Why not say 'parents'?

The death - I have a feeling it could be
    Hagrid

Anyone else got any thoughts?

- Dave.

Originally posted by Asuka
    You sure youre not reading some sick Harry Potter fanfics Funky? :p I dont recall that at all...

thought maybe i was imagining things too so i had a glimpse at the end of the book and its there on the last page...

though what you said in the spoiler is something i hadnt really thought of

Originally posted by TmB

1. There will be a major revelation at the end.
    2. One of the central characters will die.

Anyone like to guess what they are?

The death - I have a feeling it could be
    Hagrid

oh my goodness! (note to self...get a life!!!!!!)

that person cant be killed off. i have a feeling if it's anyone it'll be
    dumbledore

i think the revelation will revolve around snape maybe (im obsessed with snape, but i think that could be because alan rickman plays him in the films!). but what u suggested sounded very plausible.we're just having a huge discussion here in the comp room. we've 2 people (after lengthy discussion!) for
    snape
    dying, and 1 person for
    for one of the weasley's
    dying. and i've a mate here who is adamant draco and hermione are going to get together.

awwww....i was relly looking forward to seeing people's suggestions for the new book when i came online and there was none!

• Advertisement

can't see Draco and Hermione getting together especially seeing
    as the dark wizards are all back no doubt Lucius will be involved so i doubt Draco will be near Hermione and also she's a mudblood

Amazon.co.uk are now selling book 5 for half price if pre-ordered.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

LOL @ some of the suggestions :)
    Draco and Hermione? Thats just foolishness :) Clearly Rons got the hots for her. I dont think Dumbledore will die just yet either... Hes sort of a necessary character for the structure of the books, and I cant see Rowling changing that in a hurry.

A

well i also had to laugh at the draco suggestion, but my friend made me post it up

the dubmbledore thing (how come we're writing these in spoiler when they're simply suggestions?) i thought of coz i'd hate to see any of the characters die and he's the only character i can see working beyond the grave :) or coming back to life like buffy :)

... or coming back to life like buffy :)
    Or Obi Wan? "Use the force, Harry!"

- Dave.

"no, the forks!!!!!"
    :)

Advertisement