Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a gif to a java app

Options
  • 15-01-2003 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know how to add an image in a Java application? I've been given the code (below) but when I run it the gif won't show up even when I save the gif in the project. Nobody in the class seems to know how to do it and I'm rubbish at programming.

import java.awt.*;

public class Whatever extends Frame
    {
    Image img;

public Whatever()
    {
    img = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().createImage("x.gif");
    setSize(200,200);

show();
    }

public void paint(Graphics g)
    {
    g.drawImage(img,10,30,null);
    }

public static void main(String args[])
    {
    Whatever x=new Whatever();
    x.repaint();
    }
    }

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You might notice that the image shows up if you drag the window off the screen and back on again. The problem is that you're trying to display the image right after you load it (with createImage()), and if the image isn't completely loaded then it won't display properly. When you drag the window off & on again it forces a repaint, so then your image shows up.

The solution is either to continuously repaint the frame, or to wait until the image is loaded before painting it. The latter can be done with a MediaTracker, put these lines after your createImage() call:
    MediaTracker tracker=new MediaTracker(this);
    tracker.addImage(img,0); 
    try{tracker.waitForAll();}catch(InterruptedException ie){System.exit(1);}

This waits until the tracked image is completely loaded before proceeding to show the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, Jazz!!:)
    I got it working.

Advertisement