Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin falling behind in race to become one of the world's leading e-cities

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

But what disturbs me apart from her ability to bend the laws of time and space is that she probably isn't telling lies its more likely does not know what the f*** she is talking about

Absolutely. She has an extraordinary ability to keep her head down too, although a lot of that could be attributed to the incompetence of the press. The press is always looking for something to have a go off the government with yet they can't see this right in front of their noses. This is a genuine problem they could hammer them with day after day after day, and ultimately the only way the Government can get out of it is with /real/ solutions -- because there's people like us out there ready to brand them as out-and-out liars if they come up with a kludge, with no risk of litigation (because we'd be right).

The old excuse of "the public doesn't understand it" is rubbish: you only have to explain it once. If they were honest with themselves, they'd own up an admit that it's they don't understand it, and they're afraid to ask someone who does. It's an absolute shame that an utter shambles like this is relegated to technology journalists. Investigative journalists could have a field day with it if they pulled their head out of their asses.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by pork99
    its more likely does not know what the f*** she is talking about

Easily demonstrated:

A report being published tomorrow will equally show our success to date in this area.

The report in question being:

Ireland tops EU e-government rankings
    "It is yet another testament to our progress in delivering on-line public services to citizens and businesses, and the results are an independent endorsement of Ireland's progress towards our objective of becoming a world leader in e-government and e-commerce," said Minister Hanafin in a statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This illustrates a common confusion: Internet Access vs. Internet Applications (e-government, e-commerce etc.). Often they are combined in some sort of ranking with points allocated to each and then simply added up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Xian
    [B
    Easily demonstrated:

A report being published tomorrow will equally show our success to date in this area.

The report in question being:

"It is yet another testament to our progress in delivering on-line public services to citizens and businesses, and the results are an independent endorsement of Ireland's progress towards our objective of becoming a world leader in e-government and e-commerce," said Minister Hanafin in a statement. [/B]

Just another example among many of the wrong person being in a key job in this country

If I showed such a lack of grasp of the basic facts in my job I would be out on my ear within a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Government is tops for sticking web front ends onto databases....that is what the survey sez and I believe it.

The idea that these services are usable in peripheral regions of Ireland...where the standard telephone service gives ya analogue lines running at 20Kb per second.....is risible.

The fact that these e-government services will be delivered through transparent web caches with no legal provisioning for expiry is risible. The addition of ISP escrowed mandatory logging is but a detail.

The fact that the government intends to provide much of this sevice in rural areas through VSAT services with no Irish uplink but rather a German or British uplink with rampant fetch caching and no port 443 capability owing to lags ........ is a cause of great mirth to me.......

Cap Gemini no doubt carried out the survey using high speed dedicated leased lines, we wont be so lucky in real life.'

God bless the E-Tub and all who sail in her

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Mary's great.
    She sent me a lovely card in the post at christmas.
    I'd have much preferred an nice e-card though, viewed over a reasonably priced broadband connection.
    I should have never bothered opening the door to her when she was canvassing.
    What i said went in one ear and out the other obviously.
    She even acted all interested, marked my name down on her little sheet. Said she'd send me some literature. What she sent was a load of crap.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Effectively she was ambushed in the Dail
    At the same time she admitted she new very little about her new portfolio.
    Now, if she is still coming out with such nonsense that would be/is worthy of comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Now, if she is still coming out with such nonsense that would be/is worthy of comment.

So instead she keeps her mouth shut and does nothing. A bit better but still fecking useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Effectively she was ambushed in the Dail
    At the same time she admitted she new very little about her new portfolio.
    Well, I was searching for dail debates on the subject and this came up and I got wound up by it. Maybe her views have changed now, but it seemed to me odd that that she would jump to a vigourous defence of the situation based on zero knowledge. I would have thought that she would have had at least 10 minutes briefing on the situation. Someone should have told her that broadband is rubbish in Ireland and does not compare well with the vast majority of industrial nations. She must have know about the OECD report, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Reports have shown how far ahead Ireland is.
    Exactly! In the same sense that Ethiopia is far ahead in the crop growing and irrigation sectors, and also in its hygenic and easily available drinking water!

zynaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by zynaps
    Exactly! In the same sense that Ethiopia is far ahead in the crop growing and irrigation sectors, and also in its hygenic and easily available drinking water!

Ah, now that's an unfair comparison. Part of the ongoing problem with Ethiopia is that the government are ineffective and aren't that concerned about their own citizens, happy to let the local controllers and robber barons control access to the food and clean drinking water they do have which they distribute to small numbers of people at massively inflated prices (which many people can't afford) and thereby reap massive profits by lecherous means. Meanwhile most of the Ethiopian media is also controlled by these people, meaning that there's very little possibility of Ethiopians organising to change the status quo (or even recognising the real cause for the /ongoing/ problem) and throw out these thieves who are costing them so much (OK it's a matter of life and death in Ethiopia but you can still see what I'm on about).

Hmmm, not a bad analogy at all then - kudos zynaps.

(note: I'm not being facetious by the comments above - I'm well aware that people dying is not something to laugh at (and I'm not laughing) - it's merely an analogy. The discussion on my own belief that there has never in the history of the planet been a major famine in a country with a free press in which many people have died (as opposed to the long list of famines in oligarchies or dictatorships where millions have died) is a matter for another board)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

contact Mary ? Rant, Complain, offer advice ? propose deaL?

Constituency Office:
    Department of the Taoiseach, Government Buildings,
    Merrion Street, Dublin 2

Phone:
    01-619 4350 / 01-619 4496

Fax:
    01-676 3533

E-mail:
    minister.hanafin@taoiseach.gov.ie

www.maryhanafin.ie

make her aware of a IrelandOffline pissed off voters base ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

"It is yet another testament to our progress in delivering on-line public services to citizens and businesses, and the results are an independent endorsement of Ireland's progress towards our objective of becoming a world leader in e-government and e-commerce," said Minister Hanafin in a statement. [/B]

Just as a matter of interest, has Ireland Offiline considered making a Freedom Of Information Act request for any logfile analysis of Government web servers, to find out just how much use the "best e-government in Europe" actually gets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

(note: I'm not being facetious by the comments above - I'm well aware that people dying is not something to laugh at (and I'm not laughing) - it's merely an analogy. The discussion on my own belief that there has never in the history of the planet been a major famine in a country with a free press in which many people have died (as opposed to the long list of famines in oligarchies or dictatorships where millions have died) is a matter for another board)

It's off topic for this list, but if you look into it, you'll find that the press in Ireland and Britain in the 1840's clearly fell within any reasonable definition of a "free press".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Sceptre
    The discussion on my own belief that there has never in the history of the planet been a major famine in a country with a free press in which many people have died (as opposed to the long list of famines in oligarchies or dictatorships where millions have died) is a matter for another board)
    Ardmore
    It's off topic for this list, but if you look into it, you'll find that the press in Ireland and Britain in the 1840's clearly fell within any reasonable definition of a "free press".

Maybe, but I think we're having some confusion of "press" and "democracy"?
    It was apparently more like Animal Farm back in the gorta, but I wouldn't attribute it to information being inhibited, more that people were being somewhat oppressed through Brit landlords coming over and having land and resources given to them, and taken away from the Irish.

Besides, they don't really have free press in China, but they seem to have okay food, eh :P
    And most certainly better internet, albeit censored and scrutinised for anti-government ideas, etc....

zynaps

Advertisement