Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW SKY CARDS(latest information)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by carrolls
    When I rang up to activate my Scottish card in July, the Sky Person asked me to quote my box serial number.
    I switched the 3rd and 4th digits in my Sub. box serial number and it worked fine.
    If I gave the real serial number of the box, my Scottish card would be a bookmark now.

Interesting, not sure this will work in every case though, effectively what you did was give another box no. although the fact that the card authorised is at odds with this.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I was actually advised on this board to do it.
    Obvously you cannot give your real serial number.
    The robot at the Sky helpdesk gave me step to step instructions on how to get the Serial number using the EPG menu.
    I pretended that I was following her instructions and then quoted the revamped serial number.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Tony
    Yes I did indeed have more problems than usual with callback, I put it down to excessive server load. What did sky say when you asked for manual switch on?

Tony

Glad i'm not the only one then! Anyway, first time I rang one day, a guy answered (the 0044 installer line) and had no reservations in activating the card. Then not an hour later, after encountering the exact same problems, I rang again and this time the woman who answered would not under any circumstance, activate the card. This was after giving card number, name and address, etc for her to tell me this. I told her that i got a card activated previously, but she just said that he shouldn't have, so after wasting much of my time arguing with her on the phone (due to her telling me my job), I got fed up and showed the customer how to activate it (it was Xmas eve and he wanted it active for Xmas). So that ended me with manual switch ons as it wastes everyones time! I have encountered the problem once since xmas but it turned out that the household had a crackling line, tho I got the card activated after 7 tries! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by carrolls
    I was actually advised on this board to do it.
    Obvously you cannot give your real serial number.
    The robot at the Sky helpdesk gave me step to step instructions on how to get the Serial number using the EPG menu.
    I pretended that I was following her instructions and then quoted the revamped serial number.

I am curious as to why this worked as if you give a wrong serial no. the pairing should not work as they are effectively sending a signal to pair the card in the wrong box.

Tony

If I get any grief from them I just hang up and ring back, I usually get someone more helpful the 2nd time. Card ordering is the worst, sometimes akin to pulling teeth. I had one particularly slow guy who took forever to take the details and then he said "sorry I hit the wrong key, we will have to start again"

I think not (Tony then hangs up)

Originally posted by irishbyte
    So that ended me with manual switch ons as it wastes everyones time! I have encountered the problem once since xmas but it turned out that the household had a crackling line, tho I got the card activated after 7 tries! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bmg

i also had trouble activating cards last month but i must have been lucky as i was never refused a manual activation over the air. i nearly always get through on the 1800 freephone number but sometimes they say to call the 0044 number.
    i have got ftv cards activated in digiboxes without giving the version or serial nos. of the boxes. the card always paired with the box it was initially switched on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i gave my correct irish box serial number and no bother yet. any updates on the one card one box situation yet.

I wonder if you got the ftv card first and then you got the irish sub card would the box think the first card you actvated was the right one and lock it down so you could put in your irish sub card when the new card came.

You would have some explaining to do to the scots in SKY call centre then.

byte

Originally posted by bmg
    i also had trouble activating cards last month but i must have been lucky as i was never refused a manual activation over the air. i nearly always get through on the 1800 freephone number but sometimes they say to call the 0044 number.
    i have got ftv cards activated in digiboxes without giving the version or serial nos. of the boxes. the card always paired with the box it was initially switched on in.

You were lucky. I totally stopped ringing the freefone number as the 0044 number is much quicker. I think in future I'll try Tony's method of hanging up!;)

When i got my FTV card activated, i was never asked for serial number, it was paired automatically somehow!

Just a question?

I gave my correct box serial number with my FTV card.

I am wondering now when the new cards come what will happen.

I get my ROI sub card and activate that. Then i put in my new FTV card and activate that will it work ok.I could get a Dual LNB and a new box and re-register the FTV card on the new box.Will a dual LNB fit on a minidish or do i need a bigger dish.

Also the FTV card will most likely come before the ROI sub card should i hold out activating the new card FTV card incase it only6 allows one card one box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sorry irishgeo, we just dont know yet. Only when someone in the ROI with a Sky sub and an FTV card will we know what will happen for certain.

Stay tuned :(

The best solution, IMO, even all along, is 2 boxes, one for your Sky sub, one for the FTA card and a quad lnb. (which will fit on a standard dish)

The suspense will kill me. I wish some would ring Sky and ask them.!!!!:D

I hope no one does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Wont the FTV cards be sent to the address where the TV lience holder lives? ie the guy you bought your card from:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

>>>
    Also the FTV card will most likely come before the ROI sub card should i hold out activating the new card FTV card incase it only6 allows one card one box.
    >>>>

Probably safe enough to go ahead activating the FTV card first unless you are going down the 2nd digibox route.

My understanding at the moment is

1) It is no longer possibly to get a FTV card married to an existing Irish sub box (they now cross check the databases).

2)Replacement FTV cards may or may not work alongside an existing Irish sub as both may be automatically married to the same box. We don't know yet if the software can detect more than one card.

Either way you're probably safe enough activatign the FTV card as you can always get your Irish sub activated at a alter date and choose to lose the FTV card if the worst happens.

BTW it also appears that they've been less prolific in sending out the FTV cards over recent days - maybe due to the problems experienced. So far only the west of Scotland and Cornwall according to the message boards in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what will happen to FTV cards that were activated a good while ago, and did not need serial numbers etc. given to have them activated?

Should the new card self-activate, or will all those people who never had to give box details now have to go through this new procedure?

• Advertisement

yeah must get on to my cousin to forward it on to me when he gets it.

If Sky hurry sending them out to the manchester area i might have it by the 21st feb as my cousin brother is coming over.

i think i will hang about till my irish sky sub comes before activating it.

i would not like to ruin viewing and then try to phone sky and explain what happened. Can imagine them saying sure we will fix the problem considering i broke the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I know this guy who has a NI sub running on his box in Dublin, any thoughts on how this will effect him?

byte

Originally posted by MrPudding
    I know this guy who has a NI sub running on his box in Dublin, any thoughts on how this will effect him?

I dont think he'll have a problem. I assume he has contact with the people who live at the NI address. I also assume he doesnt have an ROI sub also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

1) It is no longer possibly to get a FTV card married to an existing Irish sub box (they now cross check the databases).

I got a FTV card from West-sat yesterday and it has now been paired to my box which has an existing Irish sky sub. BBC1 isn't available yet but all the rest are fine, as is my own card.

Mossie

Hi Mossie,

did your card have the new 'house' logo on it, or was it one of the old standard blue ones?

• Advertisement
    byte

I didnt realise that Westsat were still selling FTV cards. Fair play to them! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Mossie,

What ITV region do you get on 103 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

did your card have the new 'house' logo on it, or was it one of the old standard blue ones?

Yes it's one of the new cards, dark blue with the 'house'
    What ITV region do you get on 103 ?

West Country. West sat are somewhere in Devon, I think.

Mossie

Well if Mossie's new card with the 'house' on it works on a subbed ROI box, that's contradictory to what was mentioned earlier in this post, regarding cross-checking of databases.

Interesting to see if more new cards work okay, though.

We should know soon enough!

I bet ireland will be last to get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

my FTV card, new (with the house) works great, no problem swooping it with a ROI sky sub card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Originally posted by irishgeo
    I bet ireland will be last to get them.

Just remember FTV Cards ar'nt meant for Rep Of Ireland

Public Health Warning!

Ok, so it looks like the New FTV cards work with the existing Sky subs cards.

Just a reminder, folks, that no one knows **yet** will the new sub cards work with either the existing or new FTV cards.
    If the new sub cards do require phone line activation...... :confused::confused:

I wont be ordering any FTV cards until I know for certain.

DMC just a thought ,is there too much talk about FTV cards on these boards ?, I hope the wrong people dont read these posts, maybe all messages about FTV cards in ROI be erased ? what do you think, also would it be better for ppl to pm each other about FTV cards rather than publically on the boards, also with too many ppl ordering FTV cards could there be a possibility that BBC/SKY could cop onto it.

They can't do very much about it, because the UK government directive states that Digital access to all BBC and terrestrial channels has to be free and easily accessible to UK residents.
    If they start putting serious limitations on the cards, Blair and Co. will be none too happy.

• Advertisement

Fair enough carrolls but if sky etc cop onto the fact the FTV cards are coming to ROI will they not do more checks on where the cards are going to, ie serial no's. Im sure westsat dont know what hit them in the last week or so :). for everbody on these board has friends/family, im sure that they have been relayed about the presence of westsat, so 1 person on the board = 20+ FTV cards (approx)

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Just remember FTV Cards ar'nt meant for Rep Of Ireland

I meant the Irish Sub Cards.

Originally posted by arkles
    DMC just a thought ,is there too much talk about FTV cards on these boards ?, I hope the wrong people dont read these posts, maybe all messages about FTV cards in ROI be erased ? what do you think, also would it be better for ppl to pm each other about FTV cards rather than publically on the boards, also with too many ppl ordering FTV cards could there be a possibility that BBC/SKY could cop onto it.

Me and ICDG have often discussed it, about how to cover this issue. Because of its grey area nature, there is nothing that can be done to stop people doing it.

I said this once already in another thread, its a bit like getting cheap kerosene in Crossmaglen.

But the only people who will have it handy are the ones who have an FTV box and card. Me thinks card swapping is dodgy, because all could take is one software download or the new cards to kill it stone dead.

I don't want to be a harbinger of doom, but I think card swapping days are drawing to a close. And soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by arkles
    if sky etc cop onto the fact the FTV cards are coming to ROI

do you really think Sky don't know that FTV cards are rampant in this country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

I don't think Sky care too much.

People get FTV cards to mainly watch ITV, Channel 4 & Five. Most probably have a Sky sub as well. Otherwise people may go to NTL or
    Chorus (although Sky probably know how incompetent they both are).

Sky are really only losing to the people who have a FTV card here and not sub however how many of them would take a sky sub if they lost the FTV service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woodsy

Was chatting to a customer service rep yesterday, apparently we in ROI will be getting our new cards last !

just like i said further up in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

forgive the ignoramce but what is FTV card?

I refer the honorable gentleman to the FAQ thread. Its in there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

In reference to the earlier point about us in Ireland being the last to get the new cards- whats the big deal?? The new card will slot in to the box and give you exactly what you're already getting-
    whoopee. We're all legal sky subscribers so no big deal.

The important issue here is that all the cards get distributed fast in the UK/Ireland and then the black market can resume normal activity whether you want an ex Sky sub box or FTV Card.

What areas have got cards so far--- any takers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cork Viwer

Once you recive your new sky and you place it in your digi box than any old type Sky card including FTA will no longer work all you will get is a message "CARD INVALID" Got my new card today and this is what happened. Both my old Sky card and my FTA card went like this after the digi box activated the new card..

Interesting. Anyone else?

We will have to see if new type FTV cards work with new type sub cards.

I've deleted the other thread.

DO NOT USE YOUR NEW CARD
    Info much appreciated Cork Viwer.

so until i get both my new irish sub card and my FTV card i should not put either into my digibox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 zak

Also this happened to my card this morning when my new card was put in the box. Contacted the guy who I got my FTA card off and he told me this was happening but with a new FTA card it was ok. He is sending me a new card should have in the morning and I will keep you informed..

• Advertisement

Repost from Digital Spy
    Issue of cards for old customers or BBC customers
    I can tell you for a fact if you have an expired Sly Digital card you WILL NOT be getting a replacement.........if you have a registered BBC card you will be recieveing an updated card in due course

All series 1 cards will be turned off on or arounf Early to Mid April, dependant on the roll out of all the cards

One big reason the old cards being switched off with exeption to the hack fears is the users of expired cards abroad and hence for this reason the older cards will not work and unless you are registered with the BBC for a FTA card will have to source one by your own means

Now for my and other sake please dont jam the bbc line asking for cards yet as we havent an allocation for other customers not registered yet and will get the line "There is no need to panic as yet as the cards arent in mass circulation and will not be switched off for a while yet" We have allocation for all registered customers to date and as such will be rolling out on the same time scale as the Sly ones, id advise anyone not covered by a proper subscription to Sly to hang fire till the end of the month and then phone the BBC line and get registered that way youll be on the list and will give time to sort everything out without interupting your viewing

And as far as im aware there is NO NEED to connect the digibox to the line in order to activate the new card, for obvious reason Sly like to have the box plugged in to keep as much info on you as they can and theres no activation im aware off that requires this method or procedure, so if you dont want to connect then dont..............hope this helps

I think we are starting to make progress with the 'New Sky Cards' jigsaw puzzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Here's what west sat Emailed me regarding new FTA cards

Please do not worry. I have had no problems with the new cards. If there are any problems with any cards I supply I will guarantee I will sort it out. Regarding the replacements I will send the cards out when they arrive free of charge. Also if there is any problems with them I will also guarantee I will sort it out.

Kind Regards

Luke Davy

I got a FTA card from them some time ago and found them to be very efficent so here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They're automatically going to send out replacements to existing customers, free of charge? Fair play to them if they are..... Nice one, Luke.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭modrover

I have a UK Digi - Box and an Irish Box. Spoke to Luke yesterday and ordered my new card for the UK Box.
    He stated that the box will not have to be connected to a telephone line & that my old UK card would still work in the Uk Box.
    The relatives will have to wait another while for the old UK Card! which will work in an Irish Box (without BBC though) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Does this mean that the new English FTV cards will work along side the new Irish Sky Sub cards?

Who should I get to activate the new FTV card, me or my friend in the UK?

• Advertisement
Advertisement