Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Html > Txt

Options
  • 15-01-2003 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there!
    Does anyone know of a program that can take a HTML page and boil it down to a TXT file keeping only 'what you see in the browser' text and getting rid of all the source tags, javascript etc.

I know copy+paste could achieve this but I have about 2000 pages to convert so I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

windows commander has a pretty handy view feature, just select the file you want & press f3. sounds kind of like what you're looking for.
    you should be able to find it on download.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

check this app out.

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Ant

I'm more used to using this browser for testing web pages under Linux. However, I have also used it in Windows 2000 and AFAIK the same executable can be used for other 32-bit Windows.

You can configure how it displays files by using "O" to change the Options eg. You can get it to ignore images or to display the "alt" text for the images.

To convert a html file to text, use the comand line and type:
    lynx -dump -nolist foo.html > foo.txt

To convert many files to text, you'd have to write a batch file. However, it's been years since I've had to use batch files so I can't help you there.

Lynx for Win32 is downloadable from http://jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

for some reason windows commander which i mentioned in my last post is now known as total commander:confused:
    find it here>
    http://www.ghisler.com/

it's a great file manager, pisses all over windows explorer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

You just want something simple to convert HTML files to TXT files?

Right you are...

HTML2TXT from Yang Bo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

did anyone think of plain old file save dialog in IE?
    Save as type text

works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

he still has to save the pages as html for those parser applications to work :-)

Advertisement